Vintage polk 10's

Options
When were the first Polk Audio 10 speakers made?

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Options
    I think it was 1976. Here's an early mention:

m5823lpqyob9.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 523
    Options
    Interesting, that ad comparing them to DQ-10's, and Spendors.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited February 2023
    Options
    The 7 and 10 were, by all appearances, 'modeled' after the then-popular British loudspeaker/monitor sound at a far lower price. @F1nut or other old-timers with more inside info than I probably have more insight. Polk was pretty darned successful with that gambit, and the long, long life of those products (and the company) attests to that.

Personally, I was never crazy (and am still not) about the DQ10, and my fave British loudspeakers of that era were the bigger/better/'spensiver ;) KEFs (e.g., the 104 family). Still, in terms of what I could afford in 1978, the "Monitor 7A" was unassailable.

51308027568_06800606ca_b.jpg

note Gordon Miller Music's indirect quote of the Audioadvisor "review". :)
    also note that GMM sold the Dahlquist, too.

51307830271_d2085ccb82_b.jpg

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    Interesting, that ad comparing them to DQ-10's, and Spendors.

The 10s are an acquired taste for sure. The side-by-side mids are dynamic for some, yet comb"y" for others.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Jazzhead
    Options
    I recall the Spendors having remarkable midrange clarity/accuracy (they couldn't go low). I walked into to a friend's audio shop one day and thought someone was playing a violin in the back room. My sister was a violinist, as was my girlfriend at the time, and the Spendors (and a nice tube rig) fooled me.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited February 2023
    Options
    The heavyness (not in the 60s-70s rock 'n' roll sense of the word) of the 10s is the bit I don't like about them. The 7s get the tonal balance quite nice(ly), to my ears and taste.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Bingo!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jazzhead
    Options
    Not to mention the comb filtering issues (like my old 12's)
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 309
    Options
    Funny how the speaker prices are advertised as “each”.
    So, who out there bought a single one? :D
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Would make a mean center channel.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.