Carver A-220 amplifier

Options
This is a project piece. I unfortunately swapped input cables while the amp and preamp were both on. No magic smoke came out, but it did make a very unpleasant last sound. Took in for service to a guy in Asheville, and he ordered some parts from mouser and then got busy with other projects since he could not find a service manual for it. I believe it is rated at 120 WPC @ 8ohm and 250 at 4 ohm. The case has several dings and scratches. Hoping someone with some skills could this amp back up and running. Need it out of my closet.

$120 shipped due to weight or will meet within a couple hours of Johnson City for $100.

ovg0riq0v9c3.jpg
wcpie51iktke.jpg
7hbkif89ej4n.jpg
3qk5btu698ie.jpg
utf6ehkv6z42.jpg
2evdh97dc5dk.jpg
lpxaflyntjws.jpg
ll0oag8d1naj.jpg
2wc1vvdo2pwa.jpg
2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

Comments

• EndersShadow
    Options
    A scanned copy of the owners manual for this amp can be found here.

And if needed I can put you in touch with some techs that specialize in repairing Carver gear. Not sure how busy they are, but they might be able to either fix the amp for you, or point you in the right direction if your the DIY type.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Appreciate it Dan. The manual I've found before, but apparently working on Carver gear is not something a lot of techs do. The one I had was not willing to go any farther without a service manual. I've looked and asked before on the Carver site, but it has been a couple of years since I tried to track one down. I looked before and that vintage gear place in Pittsburg had the whole main circuit board for like $200. I just don't have the time or desire to fool with it right now. I do miss watching those meters bounce though, lol.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Ohhh, bouncing meters and all..Nope, nope, nope... :D
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Sooner or later the service manuals show up on eBay.
    This is not a Magnetic Field Amp btw. This is post Bob Carver (*after he left the company*)
  • TNHNDYMAN
    Options
    ^ Maybe so, but it sounded really nice when I had it working. It beat out an Adcom 545 and a nicer Rotel amp at the time.

• honestaquarian
    Options
    I read in a couple of places this was a very good amp for the money over the years. It just doesn't have the Magnetic Field signal tracking power supply is all.
    I forgot the name of the guy who designed it.
  • TNHNDYMAN
    Options
    bump

• TNHNDYMAN
    Options
    Anybody want to take a chance on it for $85 shipped? I don't need it and would like someone else get it back up and running.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Travis let me post this somewhere else...

Also would you be able to deliver to Bryson city NC for potentially some gas money? Carverfest is going on the right now..

Sent someone whose there a text about this amp. Hopefully we can get it sold for you.

I'm tempted to take the chance but I need an extra amp like I need a roundhouse kick to my head lol.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • TNHNDYMAN
    Options
    could you post it for $100 on carver site plus shipping or gas $

• TNHNDYMAN
    Options
    Sold to lightman

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Thanks, Travis! That's all I need! More stuff that will take me a year to pick up. Curses and foul epithets!
  • Megtech
    Options
    Hi Guys! Hi, I want to know if you have a service manual or schematic for a Carver A-220.
    I have problem with mine and i dont found the schematic on the web.
    Thanks a lot
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,346
    Options
    The Carversite doesn’t have it on file - you likely won’t find it free on line then. You’ll need to try and find one to buy…
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    What are you going to do with it when you find one? Are you electronics repair savvy?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,461
    Options
    7 years in the making...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,399
    Options
    I wonder if Russ ever picked the daggum thing up...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~