My Hinge headphones broke.

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,707
Left channel cut out, Can't take it apart to find out why without destroying it.

I'm really sad! I liked them!

They were great for travel and I could wear them for work all day without them killing my ears.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Comments

• Jstas
    Thanks, that means a lot.

A lot of good it does me!

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited January 2023
    @Jstas - in all seriousness :) and out of curiosity, how long did you have them?
    Just curious whether they served well or if your experience suggests that they were too fragile?
    (or maybe both)

As a not-entirely-irrelevant aside: I keep forgetting that I bought a pair of rather fancy Polk headphones some years back at a good price from a F&F sale. I haven't used them in... a long time, though -- and I don't even remember what model they are. :p

(I'm not much of a headphone person)
  • Jstas
    They were a "door prize" at one of the Polkfests. I want to say 2012.

I used them pretty regularly. They were great for travel and since they're white/brown/silver, many people complimented me on the styling and assumed they were either extremely high end headphones they never heard of or they were something like BEATS headphones that were bespoke.

I liked them because while there were better headphones out there, there weren't many. They sounded great for the price point and they weren't fatiguing to listen to and they didn't hurt my ears. The fact that they folded up made them perfect for travel and with the quality of sound that came from them they were awesome. Additionally, the drivers in the cans were very efficient and they didn't run down the battery on my phone by putting a strain on the headphone amp in the phone.

I'm going to miss them but they're like 10 years old and they have been to California, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, both Carolinas, Virginia, Florida, Dominican Republic, New York and Ohio.

So they weren't coddled bouncing around in my backpack going all over the place with me.

• mhardy6647
    Thanks @Jstas -- you hit all of the points about which I wondered.
    Sounds like a nice requiem for a good erstwhile Polk product.
    Maybe it is too bad that they abandoned that market (which I believe they have).

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,527
    I did not even know they were ever in the headphone market.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Jstas
    Yeah, they had a few offerings and I still have a set of noise cancelling earbuds which aren't as good as the noise cancelling from Bose but the sound quality is the best I've had from any earbud, even newer ones like this Airpods or whatever Apple calls them.

I also have a set of over the ear noise cancelling headphones which got great reviews and honestly they are impressive headphones. I won them in a raffle at a Polkfest.

Oh and add Kansas, Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin to the list of states my Hinge headphone went to.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Polk had awesome headphones, all designed in Maryland
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited January 2023
    I had a pair of the long discontinued Ultrafocus 8000 noise canceling headphones I got at a nice discount. Very nice headphones and the noise canceling was decent but not great. The sound quality was on par with the big name brands. The headband wore out after a few years of infrequent use so I tossed them.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-IuwbmONqta9/p_107UF8000/Polk-Audio-UltraFocus-8000.html
  • mhardy6647
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I had a pair of the long discontinued Ultrafocus 8000 noise canceling headphones I got at a nice discount. Very nice headphones and the noise canceling was decent but not great. The sound quality was on par with the big name brands. The headband wore out after a few years of infrequent use so I tossed them.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-IuwbmONqta9/p_107UF8000/Polk-Audio-UltraFocus-8000.html

Ahh... I think that's the pair I have.
    Guess I should look at the headband.

The relatively rapid decomposition of the pleather parts of headphones is a pet peeve of mine.
    I have a pair of relatively inexpensive Sennheiser headphones I bought around the turn of the century :p
    The headband cushion and earpad pleather started to disintegrate a few years ago, leaving a dusting of black particulate stuff on the unlucky wearer. Sort of like inverse dandruff. :#
    Replacement earpads are still available -- but not the headband cushion.

• Jstas
    Yeah, Ultrafocus 8000, those are the over-the-ear noise cancelling ones I won in a raffle. I think I bought the earbuds at a steep discount. I still use the earbuds, I have the 8000's in a box somewhere, haven't touched them in a while.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    https://youtu.be/ov4epAJRPMw

Sounds Like them Hinges have been everywhere Man.

5wc9mqjujgfw.jpg

Are them Hinges Corded or Bluetooth ones?

Do they look like these mine have been to Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Missouri, California, Arizona, and still look like new even have the cloth bag they came in, there corded and dont sound to bad. There's some on Ebay.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    You really can't get them apart? Glued?
    Headphones are hard to work on. The wires inside are tiny tiny.

Have you tried calling customer service? I'm pretty sure someone on the phone could walk you through the repair.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited January 2023
    Nevermind i found the specs
  • I've had to bolt my 8000's headband together after it fell apart, so far they're holding together enough for treadmill use. Sound is good.
  • Jstas
    They're the wired Hinge headphones. I don't think the wireless ones came out for another few years and these were a first release right around a Polkfest.

I haven't had a chance to look at them real good yet. I had to get back on a training class and just shoved them off to the side after a cursory glance.

I went digging around in the basement and found a pair of "Buckle" headphones which were still in the original packaging. So I busted them out. I'll look at the Hinge set later this weekend, probably.

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2023
    Hinge.
    Buckle.

Did they have a model aimed at the female (and those that might identify with a feminine gender) market called "Garter"?

Just... academic curiosity, you know?

:#