Tire question

2»

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    What if you have 19’s on the front and 20’s on the back? :D

Then the only rotation you're doing is when they are rolling down the road!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,957
    Buy all my tires from DT, have for many years. We have one less than 5 minutes from our house.

Only time I haven't was when I wanted a certain high performance tire for my 2 MINI Coopers I use to own and DT didn't have them. I got them from Tire Rack and had DT mount them.

The only point about how to rotate your tires at home I would say is why put your spare tire on the ground especially if it hasn't ever been used? If the 4 tires were all put on the car at the same time when new just rotate them. If I'm buying a used car and the spare hasn't never been down that's a plus factor since I don't have to replace a spare that has a lot of miles on it. Of course if the car is 8+ years old I would replace the spare anyway. If you trade in your car the dealer also like to see a trade in with a spare that hasn't been used.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Jstas
    Milito wrote: »
    The only point about how to rotate your tires at home I would say is why put your spare tire on the ground especially if it hasn't ever been used? If the 4 tires were all put on the car at the same time when new just rotate them. If I'm buying a used car and the spare hasn't never been down that's a plus factor since I don't have to replace a spare that has a lot of miles on it. Of course if the car is 8+ years old I would replace the spare anyway. If you trade in your car the dealer also like to see a trade in with a spare that hasn't been used.

I'm not sure what you're getting at otherwise I'd address it.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,284
    edited January 2023

Jstas wrote: »
    For those wondering how to rotate your tires at home, you need, at the minimum, your spare tire and a jack of any kind.

Preferably a floor jack, makes life simpler and faster and at least one pair of jack stands aids in thesimpler and faster thing. Two pairs of jack stands is ideal and then you don't need the spare tire.

So, here's how you do it:

Step 1: Get your spare out of the trunk. If you don't have a spare, this is where those jack stands or a second jack come in handy.

Step 2: Jack up driver's side, front wheel and remove the wheel.

Step 3: Install the spare tire on the front driver's side. If you don't have a spare, use a jack stand or less desirably, a second jack. Do not use blocks as the vehicle can easily fall off a stack of blocks when you are jacking up opposing corners.

Step 4: Lower the driver's side front corner then take the jack and jack up the passenger rear wheel and remove the wheel

Step 5: Install the driver's side front wheel on the passenger side rear location. Tighten down lugs nuts to proper torque and lower the car

Step 6: Jack up driver's side front again, remove spare tire.

Step 7: Install passenger side rear tire on driver's side front location, tighten down lug nuts to correct torque setting and lower driver's side front

Step 8: Jack up passenger side front wheel and remove wheel

Step 9: Install spare tire on passenger side front and lower vehicle

Step 10: Jack up driver's side rear location and remove wheel

Step 11: Install passenger side front wheel on driver's side rear location. Tighten lug nuts to correct torque spec and lower vehicle.

Step 12: Jack up passenger side front location and remove spare tire

Step 13: Install driver's side rear wheel to passenger side front location, tighten lug nuts to correct torque spec and lower vehicle.

Step 14: Return spare tire to the storage location making sure to check pressure and inflate properly to specified pressure on the driver's door jamb sticker if necessary before storing.

Step 15: Check all 4 tires pressures and inflate to the specific pressure on the driver's door jamb sticker if necessary.

Step 16: put your jack and lug wrench away. If you used the ones that came with your vehicle, return them to their storage point before you forget! As always, take care of your tools and they will take care of you!

I follow John's instructions with the exception I have 4 jack stands. With 2 jack stands I stick my jack under the pumpkin and lift my truck and put two jack stands under the axle release jack onto stands. Take jack up front put under the skid plate and raise, put two stands under frame release onto stands THEN LEAVE JACK under skid plate. Why the axle you may ask ? Two reasons wider than frame and a pivot point to jack front without as much fear that the vehicle will slide on the frame (it can and will I've seen it). I watched someone do it the other way and it was UGLY ! Good way to get a free trip to the hospital or worse! I leave jack under the skid plate for some insurance against falling or slipping off jack stands. I also lightly loosen all my lug nuts just enough on the ground so when in the air I can just spin them off. I use a 24" flexi head ratchet bar with the proper socket. (I usually hate the cheap factory tool the give you) I then rotate and tighten enough so no play then torque to specs on the ground. Pretty easy and 30 minutes or less you're done.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,984
    I rotate both vehicles when I do the switch over to winters. Only thing with the winters we have is they are directional so can only go front to back. Yes just like wiping...... I always use 2 stands and leave the jack up. Bought a hydraulic jack no way I'm using the scissor lift they provide. I typically use my drill then torque wrench after. Then after about 100kms I torque again.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,129
    I just rotated my wife's car tires a couple of months ago. Going to get another year out of them since she hardly drives it because she works from home. They might be 8 years old now.

I have 3 floor jacks. Found 2 on the sides of roads. I guess some people don't know about the turn screw to activate pressure again! :D

I had about 2k miles on 4 tires on my F150 after 8 or 9 years. They dryrotted and cracked. The tread looked brand new though. Sam's club told me the tires were now a safety issue with the law. I was going to bring them home after the new ones were installed but changed my mind. I should've given the old ones to my neighbor Tony. He only drives a few miles from home, ever. 2 or 3 weeks later I found out He needed some too. :#

Then Sam's tells me they can't lift my F150. I had to get a local Car fix-it / tire dealer to get the new tires put on.

I went and bought a new spare too. Original was 26 years old. I took it out from underneath myself easily.

Then the tire place didn't replace the new spare under my truck. I decided to do it back at home. OMG...I almost had a heart attack trying to put the new Michelin back up! It weighes twice or more what the old one did. But I got it.

Anyway, when I rotated tires, I usually clean the backside/inside of the rims with rim cleaner. It only takes an extra hour for 4 of them.

Believe it or not, I've had people notice the clean inside part of the rims. They comment on the whole car really but they see the shine coming off the rims too. I guess they think the cars are newer than they are or something. The rims glisten for months too.

I never knew there was a law for tire's age limits until my truck needed some due to dryrot but it never failed inspection.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Milito

I just don't agree with using a spare tire in the rotation if it is new. Use the 4 tires that already have wear on them.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,112
    edited January 2023
    The garage where I get my oil changed does free tire rotation with an oil change. I gave up doing my own oil changes many years ago and I cannot remember ever doing a tire rotation. Support local business and let the places that are set up for this service do it. In my case my 20 ford ranger requires the passenger tire to be removed to access the oil drain plug and filter. No way am I doing that in my driveway even though I'm perfectly capable of doing that miserable job
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,599
    Pull a tire to change oil? That is pretty screwed up design.
    I always change my own oil. I'm pretty sure in the next couple
    of years some state will ban home oil changes.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    I was curious about that oil change method on the Ranger so I went Youtubing. Looks like it is easier to change the filter with the wheel off because there's a cover over it that has to be removed but it can be done without removing the wheel. It does look awkward. The drain plug is in a conventional place. Still, a crazy looking design!
  • Jstas

I just don't agree with using a spare tire in the rotation if it is new. Use the 4 tires that already have wear on them.

No, you use the spare tire so you can put the car back on the ground and move to the next corner when you only have one jack. When you are done moving your wheels to the appropriate corners, you have your spare left over and you put that back in it's storage spot.

Your spare tire goes back in your storage space when you are done rotating.

You can disagree with using the spare tire in rotation all you want but that's not what I said to do so you're kinda coming from left field here.

• Milito
    You're right, I didn't read it as carefully as I should have.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,321
    I am in the same type of situation. My 07 vette ragtop runflat tires are 9 years old and only have about 11k on them. The car is garage kept and doesn't see snow. I am told before I take it any kind of distance or if i am going to drive the car above the speed limit, get them changed since even though they look new, the compound breaks down realistically after 6-8 years.
    This springtime, when the car is ready to be back on the road, ( parked in the garage on a battery tender) they will be 10. 4 places and a corvette form told me to replace them.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,599
    edited February 2023
    Run flats for a vette are going to cost you $$$.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • erniejade
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Run flats for a vette are going to cost you $$$.

Yep. When I replaced the original 9 years ago, it was back then as well. No rotating them since the front are a different size than the back.

Costo has a sale on Bridgestone potenza ( currently running as well) right now. I might call discount tire and Firestone and see who will give me a better deal.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,056
    erniejade wrote: »
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Costo has a sale on Bridgestone potenza ( currently running as well) right now. I might call discount tire and Firestone and see who will give me a better deal.

You may know this (and hopefully it's not still true) but some big box discount stores have *historically* carried cheaper versions of the same model tire. Be sure to compare the model number as well as the model name.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • erniejade
    I did not know that. Thx for the tip.