Wilson Duette reconditioning project

So this will be something I update as things progress.

A while ago I took the plunge on a mint pair of Wilson Duette... That were not so mint.

A few emails exchanges, a hefty refund and here is what we are at.

Initial receipt, sorry for the poor photo quality

8fx4hc40hdbk.jpg
cvnsn627yq9u.jpg
czgw4g53t1ra.jpg
h161tpte7buv.jpg
b3g3nwqlfnsi.jpg
zyu7orlura4f.jpg
1rxvc9nlm2b2.jpg
qpkb3voahdzj.jpg
nq9ggqndcbwg.jpg
jyophj6el8xf.jpg
5y0m8d1z8fyl.jpg
c756uwh6kzx2.jpg
habf77r9sc7p.jpg
pnv01xonccgr.jpg
qu3iowkthwe6.jpg

Took everything apart, removed all of the old foam, old badges, etc and prepped for paint!

kpb8lakm28p3.jpg
3c22ifsuk08t.jpg
smzhttjpiy2c.jpg
y9z09us97ckw.jpg
gckegeoj6fhu.jpg
exd5w9uqso30.jpg
2x1t8u3619wb.jpg
8o479mkxmrcg.jpg
cofmfxptwen9.jpg

Found a local shop who was willing to take on the repaint... Had to configure some stands for the speakers to be elevated without moving...

Used a pro audio speaker stand with mounting bracket and bolted the stand to a sheet of particle board...

g0jubwrdzm90.jpg
lrbgg2z0chyp.jpg

Made custom boxes and packing for transportbihycb3e7k79.jpg
cojp4ly9l55d.jpg
396qmnztvkp9.jpg
6hd3lcm5chgb.jpg

Will drop them off in a couple weeks and hope to have them back in a mo th or so... Looking forwards to putting them back together!

I have ordered new grills and all of the hardware from Wilson, just waiting to be assembled and put to work!
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Will you be painting them chameleon color changing blue?
    focal-sopra-no1-chameleon-main-01__35623.1645571041.png?c=1

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    Close! Hot pink!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    VR3 wrote: »
    Close! Hot pink!

Well that is better than neon lime green.

FTR I've always liked the PPG color changing paints. My understanding was it was a very laborious expensive process. The Mustangs painted with it that changed from deep blue to purple to greenish teal I thought were fascinating colors. IIRC they had one or two others that shifted color in different light.
  • VR3
    It would look cool but I'm probably leaning towards a black with a nice flake in it
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,527
    Wow, that is sad they weren’t better cared for. The seller actually used the word “mint” to describe those, huh? Yikes.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    He probably mint to take care of them.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • VR3
    The best part was he blamed it on shipping lol
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    No that is funny^^^^
  • Can't wait to see those Trey.

I like making boxes. My brother and I sold a lot of antique clocks about 15 years ago, and it was a big job. One becomes an expert on cardboard, glass, liars, etc.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA