Back box size for polk rc80i?

Options
Hello polk audioholics! New here.... Im getting ready to install my atmos speakers and wanted to add a back box and some fiberglass (my first floor ceilings are hollow) and wanted to know what size back box I should use for these speakers? Thanks!

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rgarza4
    Options
    So unfortunately that solution won't work for two of my speakers as the cutout is right up against a joist. See photos.sf3ww4ijx36k.jpg
    7ffxl5u8n5zd.jpg
  • rgarza4
    Options
    Can anyone help?
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Leave the cavity open directly above the ceiling speaker, but stuff insulation inside the chase all around that cavity.

In-wall speakers are in-wall by design. The reason I used the Dynabox was my speakers were exposed to my attic
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    I believe these are “infinite baffle” and, as such, do NOT require an enclosure.

IIRC, @VR3 explained this to me some time ago. Perhaps he will be able to chime in. 🤷‍♂️

[Product Link]

Alea jacta est!
  • txcoastal1
    edited January 2023
    Options
    They are but soft enclosure improves sound and dispersion ....especially in in high sub-floor as in pics

• rgarza4
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I really didn't wanna deal with back boxes anyways, insulation should be fine.
  • rgarza4
    Options
    @mod ok to close thread.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Enclosures do nothing for an infinite baffle

The bigger the infinite space, the better!

The only way I would recommend an enclosure for infinite baffle is if the manufacture recommends its.

Otherwise you just need to make sure the front wave and back wave never meet and you are good.

You could even mount the drivers firing outside your house towards the neighbors to share the love.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.