705 crossovers

Options
2»

Answers

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    Only other alternative to buying a whole stock crossover that "might" be cheaper in parts (depending upon quality chosen) but long on labor would be to remove both the good board and the bad board and desolder and lift one leg on each and every component on the bad board and test them with a meter that does capacitance and resistance. For the inductors desolder one leg on the good board as well and compare resistances. Do the same for any components that you don't know the proper values of, to use the good board as the exemplar.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • jghglofer
    jghglofer Posts: 100
    Options
    Hey I appreciate all the info from this group. I think I will just buy the new crossover
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Oh boy. When someone says they "can do the diy work" and has already de-soldered and replaced a component or two it is not out of line to suggest a method of checking with a meter. And by the way they are pretty cheap at places like Harbor Freight. Nowhere did he state that he didn't have one!

@jghglofer this is "mostly" a friendly place :)

PS: I think replacing the entire board is a good solution and I hope that the problem doesn't occur again and was just a fluke of your amp crapping out a square wave at clipping or something.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    jghglofer wrote: »
    Hey I appreciate all the info from this group. I think I will just buy the new crossover

I just want to say that sometimes 2 (or more) heads are better than 1 and I know that is why you posted the question and I was NOT talking down to anyone. Sometimes it helps to lay out the steps and yes they are often basic steps to a basic problem. I was actually trying to steer you to what I though was probably the best solution for you (new board from Polk) by showing how tedious it might be to just fix precisely what is bad.

Good luck and let us know how it goes :)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS