First stereo system

Options
Hello all,

Been lurking on the forum for the last couple weeks. Picked up a pair of SDA 2B's (studio) off of craigslist for $140. They're in fairly good condition, one mid had a rip in the rubber surround but the PO repaired it, also included a replacement. Bought these for a designated 2-channel stereo system, specifically vinyl/records. Powered by a nikko beta 1 pre and a pro model QSC gx500 amp.89uvoibb6cjk.jpg
uxuj2nqh5ch4.jpg
ge7ad2isnspg.jpg

Haven't done any mods yet. Purchased hurricane nuts and was going to do the TL mod. Don't have much experience soldering, but I'm up for a challenge. Is this the average amount one spends, I know that sonic craft will have sales from time to time, so maybe I should wait until they drop more? Any input is appreciated. Also, if anyone has a working link to a TL modification break down I wouldn't be opposed to that.

51lx1n25gldx.png

Thanks for the help, glad to be a part of the forum.
3.jpg 50.2K
2.jpg 47.4K
1.jpg 61.5K
4.PNG 129.9K

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    Hello all,

Been lurking on the forum for the last couple weeks. Picked up a pair of SDA 2B's (studio) off of craigslist for $140. They're in fairly good condition, one mid had a rip in the rubber surround but the PO repaired it, also included a replacement. Bought these for a designated 2-channel stereo system, specifically vinyl/records. Powered by a nikko beta 1 pre and a pro model QSC gx500 amp.89uvoibb6cjk.jpg
    uxuj2nqh5ch4.jpg
    ge7ad2isnspg.jpg

Haven't done any mods yet. Purchased hurricane nuts and was going to do the TL mod. Don't have much experience soldering, but I'm up for a challenge. Is this the average amount one spends, I know that sonic craft will have sales from time to time, so maybe I should wait until they drop more? Any input is appreciated. Also, if anyone has a working link to a TL modification break down I wouldn't be opposed to that.

51lx1n25gldx.png

Thanks for the help, glad to be a part of the forum.

Not a SDA guy so can't help you with your upgrades but welcome to CP. Hang around, lots of good guys /info here.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Your parts order looks correct. I don't think they will have another sale until June, but don't quote me on that.

Maybe it's your camera, but it looks like the speakers are toed in just a bit. If so, they shouldn't be.

Forgot, you might consider getting Gimpod's crossover boards. Makes the job very easy. Contact westmassguy to purchase.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FalcoonnnnPUNCH
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome guys.
    F1nut, I can wait until June if it's a significant discount, do you know what sales they've had in the past? We talking $$$ or just $? Also, In my current parts order shown, I have the 2.7 resistor as a 10w due to the 12 not being in stock, the 0.5 is still 12w. Any potential problems there?

In regards to the speaker/room set up. I'm actually in the process of moving so everything is boxed up right now. Hopefully I'll have a wall big enough to actually set them up correctly at my new place.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Do you have more LPs than that? I was going to suggest holding off on the speaker upgrades and instead spending the money on more music.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • FalcoonnnnPUNCH
    Options
    recently inherited a big box from my dad. lots of old rock. Also, i buy ~1-2 records a month.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    The sale is usually 10 or 20 percent, so not a great amount. No problem with the different wattage ratings.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    The Gimpods are well worth the money and are much easier to "do it yourself" because of the abundant extra room
    http://www.gimpod.com/parts2b.html
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    The absolute cheapest route to go at first would be to get the upgraded tweeters, rdo-194 or if going the TL route I think they are RDO-198s. With a nod that your a club Polk member they are $48 + tax and free shipping. You said your going the Hurricane nut and check that your gaskets are not falling apart.. To make sure your getting the correct SDA experience read the handbook will tell you how to set it up. Most all other mods like redoing the x-overs, changing out the original SDA cable for the Neutrik-Speakon kind, now comes the money train. If you don't know about cleaning the 2Bs use only ORIGINAL Windex to clean the drivers and bezel. I've been told rips in the butyl surrounds are not fixable and a new driver will more than likely be needed. Thankfully here again Polk makes replacements for most of their vintage driver in stock.
    Welcome to the club.

http://vr3mods.com/uploads/SDA_Handbook_2011_Rev2.pdf
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • FalcoonnnnPUNCH
    Options
    am5ksd26jhq6.jpg
    Right channel speaker SL2000 failed last week. Finally convinced myself to go through with the TL upgrade. Have had the boards and RDO-198s for a few years. Waiting on my order from soniccraft to get in. should be done by tonight.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Procrastination....

This is the definition thereof.

You need to post more often....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • FalcoonnnnPUNCH
    Options
    the TL upgrade has only taken me 7 years....so far
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Personally? I subscribe to the theory that good things come to those who wait

That said, 7 years?

I am just ribbing you. Kudos for following your dreams. Welcome back.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • FalcoonnnnPUNCH
    Options
    USPS missed the delivery window and I had to wait until Monday for my order to come in but......

ypaz07dq5id1.jpg
    a3nnm82kv6tq.jpg

Right channel complete!
    Sounds way better than before (obviously as the old tweeter was blown).
    Have to finish the left channel sometime this week.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    ^ Damn sweet looking job Sir….
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Thought this was going to be a spammer bump, lol. Congrats on getting to it. You're user name made me lol, too. Rock on!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I have unstarted projects here that are old enough to vote, and unfinished ones that are old enough to drink!
    SO, I think he's doin' great...

• FalcoonnnnPUNCH
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Not gonna lie, feels really good to get that done.
    Halfway done with the other crossover, just need to transfer over the components from the original board.

To anyone that's done this before, what sorts of noises should you expect during the "burn-in" period on both the crossovers and new tweeters. My setup is very much record focused, so I expect to hear some graininess/pops/crackless from the occasional dust spec or scratch on a record. I was going to hook up my phone yesterday but forgot that new phones got rid of headphone jacks. I need to find my old ipod and try listening to some songs via aux to see if it eliminates some of the noise I'm hearing.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    speaking of old iPods, you might (?!?) find this thread @ hifihaven interesting @FalcoonnnnPUNCH
    https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/classic-ipod-hackers-say-there’s-no-better-way-to-listen-to-music.6007/

It goes to some interesting places, including a recent series of posts on a major-league rehab of an ancient and battered iPod acquired via eBAY. :)

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    I didn't hear any pops or noises when I upgraded my crossovers, but the sound did change from bad to good to bad to finally great, so they do seem to go through some changes as they burn in.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Threads like this are really appreciated on my end.
    Just when I’m feeling overwhelmed with my project sitting unfinished I get to read posts like this.
    It gets my gumption going to start again….
    Thank you 👍
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    oh, we're enablers, we are...