Capacitor placement and values

Options
Greetings! I have a pair of Polk 12 B speakers that I purchased in 1981 that have never been refurbished. They still sound OK to my aging ears but I’m sure they are suffering. I don’t pretend to be an electronics wiz but I have quite a bit of soldering experience so I’ve decided to recap them myself. Michael8it from a much earlier post used Erse capacitors and commented he was very satisfied with his results. I’ve decided to go with the same although they are now called MPX caps from US coils. They are still called Pulse X so I’m hoping they are at least as good in quality. In his original post, he shows a photo of his finished results. It appears the 55 micro and the 4.4 micro capacitors have swapped positions with each other in respect to their stock positions on my boards. I’m guessing that’s because the 55 micro that he used is quite a bit larger than the original stock 55 that came on the board. My question is because they’re connected in parallel does it matter which position they’re in and respect to each other? I’m guessing it’s OK to swap their positions. My other question is the capacitor values. The originals are 55 and 4.4. The closest MPX caps that I’ve got on order in value are 56 and 4.7. Again I’m guessing that they are so close it won’t make any difference. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated, thank you.

Best Answer

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,698
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I tested a set of Erse caps sent to me by a well known member here. Ill be using them again.
    I think your values will be close enough too.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.

Answers