Rt1000i's

BBUBBA
BBUBBA Posts: 66
edited May 2002 in Troubleshooting
Ken,

Can a RT1000i handle 250 watts into the top binding post? With plates removed? if so why isn't the same drivers as the RT35i's??
Or does the cross over suck up a lot of watts?

I thought that the full range speaker could handle 250 watts , set me straight !

Thanks !!;)
Post edited by BBUBBA on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    INTERESTING QUESTION,
    i'm interested in Ken's response.I'm not sure where your going with this.......or is it a can they handle the awesome ref7270??
    My answer is yes all day long.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    I would say yes. Even with the jumper in place you're not using your amp's power to drive the built-in subwoofer (since it has it's own amp), you're basically just sending it the signal. So, with the jumper removed, your amp is still seeing the same load; it's just not passing the low frequencies to the sub amp. I'm not 100% sure on this, but it's my theory. My question for you is why are you using them with the jumper plate removed? The optimal hookup method is with the jumper in place.

Aaron
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited April 2002
    Hello,
    I believe the fundamental question you're asking is why is the RT1000i recommended to be used with amplifiers from 30 to 250 Watts/channel and the RT35i (which uses the same tweeters and drivers) we recommend amplifiers from 20 to 125 Watts/channel, correct? The crossover, in the RT1000i has a built-in high pass filter to prevent bass frequencies from going to the 6.5" driver on the front of the cabinet. Since the designers knew there was going to be a self-contained 6.5" driver in a band pass enclosure with a 35 Watt amplifier, there was the ability to design in a high pass filter. In the RT35i the incoming signal doesn't pass through a high pass filter, therefore the recommended amplifier specification is different.
    Regards, Ken
  • BBUBBA
    BBUBBA Posts: 66
    edited April 2002
    Makes sense to me Ken Thanks!!! IF I driving the RT35i with a LF cuttoff of say 100-120 HZ the RT35 can handle much power MId and high frequenzy power.:p

Hey Ken also is the low frequency crossover ( the one that seperates the mid and high driver from the powered sub) passive or is it active?????

I guess I would have to try hooking it up three different ways. Listen and see what sounds best.:p
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2002
    Hmmm...
    1 driver 125 Watts (RT35i)
    2 drivers 250 Watts (RT55i)
    4 drivers (and one SDA driver) 500 Watts (SRS SDA 3.1TL)
    8 drivers 1000 Watts (SRS SDA 1.2TL)

Basically, every 6-1/2" driver sucks up 125 watts.
    Interesting.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    thats one way of lookin at it
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    125w on a 6 1/2" driver at what volume setting, would the wattage change as you change the volume control or am i wrong about it. or is the wattage set at a standed reference volume setting before clipping. then it would be 125w for a 61/2" driver at reference volume setting, or at maxium setting before clipping
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    You thinkin' RMS or what Joe?

Thanks, Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    you are right russ 125w rms for ea. channel.thats per speaker so the 6 1/2" driver is limed to 125w and you have two 6 1/2 " drivers and a tweeter with gets around 40w thats about 300w rms per channel so you can have a 300w rms amp for the rt55i and run it at referance volume with no sweat.
    it would be easyer on the rt55i to run the 300w rms amp than a 80w rms amp at referance volume
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.