Help a dinosaur....SACD/Streamer

Options
Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited January 2023 in Electronics
So back into building a 2ch system. Need a SACD player and something that can play my music stored in a computer. Having way too many issues with my squeezebox interface.

So I am a complete dinosaur when it comes to streaming and all the new stuff, so asking for help here. I know there are some all in one units. Are they good, or am I better off finding a decent SACD player and some streaming apparatus?

Talk to me.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,368
    Options
    It's possible to get both SACD and up to date streaming ability...for a fee. :)

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SCD30NB/Marantz-SACD-30n-Black.html
  • Ricardo
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    It's possible to get both SACD and up to date streaming ability...for a fee. :)

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SCD30NB/Marantz-SACD-30n-Black.html

Thanks. I had very good results with a Marantz player in the past. This might be a contender.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,368
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Looks like Technics is coming out with some new SACD/streamer/preamp models too. I have no experience or knowledge of those. Apparently the M2 version is coming but I must've missed the original that was out a couple years ago.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_133SLG7M2K/Technics-SLG700M2-Black.html
  • Ricardo
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Found this factory refurbished Marantz 30n for $ 1,999.

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/disc-player/marantz-sacd-30n-sacd-cd-player-black-factory-refurbished/

And 60 days to return if I don't like it. Sounds like I'm getting this one.

SOPA
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2023
    Options
    It's better to be a streaming dinosaur than a fossilized one. :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2023
    Options
    So, what happened with the squeezebox and Logitech Media Server? Are you looking for music player and management software too?

There are free and fee based/lifetime choices available.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    So, what happened with the squeezebox and Logitech Media Server? Are you looking for music player and management software too?

There are free and fee based/lifetime choices available.

Ya I was going to suggest Roon as a music server for your SB @Ricardo. My Squeezebox touch with enhanced audio output applet installed and utilizing an external power supply and a good external DAC has made me send back several $1000+ streamers when run through the same DAC…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Ricardo
    Options
    Well I have not spent too much time troubleshooting, but my logitech media server keeps acting, and I have a hard time making my squeezeboxes (2) connect to it reliably.

I'm sure I would be able to figure it out or start from scratch and make it work. It's just that it has been a pain. I was very happy with my setup and even had a phone remote app that managed everything.

Maybe I will spend the time and try to fix it. BUT, I still need an SACD player so we'll see how this Marantz does. Ordered it already :)

SOPA
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    I have a Yamaha CD-s2100 you can have for $1550 shipped. It is in flawless condition 10/10 cosmetically. It has also just been serviced and inspected by two Yamaha warranty centers and passes with flying colors. I have been using it as a DAC only and it is very nice, but I am wanting to go with a dedicated DAC instead.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hey Ricardo,

If it doesn't have to be all in one source, the BlueSound Node 3 is an excellent platform for streaming. I had issues with my SQB as well and I choose the BlueSound. It has worked flawlessly.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1BDNODE3

Just a thought, good luck on your new rig. Keep us posted.

H9

P.s. I see you already pulled the trigger on the Marantz.
    Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Ricardo
    Options
    Thanks Brock. Lots of options out there. We'll see how it goes with the Marantz. If I am not convinced it will go back. If I like it, I think it was a pretty good deal.

SOPA
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    Hey Ricardo, yeah, let us know if you get stuck anywhere with your SBT/LMS setup. There are a couple of us here that are still enjoying that platform. The slimdevices forum is full of fans still running the server and devices, as well as other mods. Lots of great plugins, too.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/

Some great recommendations here in your thread, otherwise.
    I keep hearing about this Roon thing...
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I keep hearing about this Roon thing...

Dooo iittt Scott!!! Roon is the bees knees…at least take advantage of the trial…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Ricardo
    Options
    Thanks for the help offer guys. I might use it :)

SOPA
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Roon can be used on many platforms. It's a yearly subscription, but my brother who is in IT swears by it. The Roon interphase is superb. I will eventually use it with my Node 3.

Initially I bought a yearly subscription to Qobuz streaming service and I LOVE it. Quality is top notch. The streaming is excellent. Their controller/interphase is very basic and clunky, Roon should be much better.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I have Roon lifetime and really like it. I also have Volumio lifetime which I got with a great deal on the Volumio Primo streamer closeout ($385 total). Primo is the wife's music server as she hates turning my system on.

I setup Roon to convert any non-DSD media (aiff, flac, wave - but no mp3) to native DSD512. This offers best SQ in my system.

When I was in NY, Ed the SRT king introduced me to HQ Player. HQP is an advanced, up-sampling media player that some folks claim does a better job than Roon. So Roon hands off file to HQP, then sends to DAC. I'll be taking advantage of the free trial, hear what happens.

szhdfm4oohv6.jpg
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    So, Roon is like Windows...correct?

It does nothing to the content, it's just an operating system or better platform to find songs, keep libraries of music, etc?

I also keep hearing of this, "Roon" thing. I know nothing about it, other than many people use it. Most successfully but it seems to have a plethora of glitches.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Roon manages your music, streaming services and devices. I've never had any serious issues with Roon. I bought the lifetime license when they needed revenue, it was under $500.

My fanless music server is Linux based running Roon ROCK off a small SSD. Music on spinning drive. A laptop with Win11 controls it via wi-fi. Roon can run on Windows, Apple, Linux and supported NAS.

I read about issues in the support forum. Sometimes its user error, trying to run it on unsupported devices, sometimes they need a patch, etc. IMO plethora is an exaggeration.

EDIT
    FWIW I've had Roon for five years.
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
  • rooftop59
    Options
    The only glitches I basically ever encounter is when either my MacBook mini where roon is housed needs a reboot, or when when of the apps needs updating. I’d say it’s pretty dang solid at this point.

What sold me on it is the way it integrates Qobuz and/or Tidal with your personal Library and makes it very easy to search it all and find all the different versions of an album, including your own. Don’t want MQA? Don’t choose that version. The other thing is has a very good roon radio function similar to Spotify or pandora where when an album ends or continues playing similar music (anything from you library and streaming source, not just what you have saved). It also creates albums based on your listening habits, which is another cool way to discover new music. And the interface is pretty snazzy…
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Unfortunately Roon imparts its own sound/fingerprint onto the music. But I agree the interface is slick.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Well, Roon is out for me then. Thanks, gentlemen. I'll show myself out the door.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Ricardo
    edited January 2023
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Roon manages your music, streaming services and devices. I've never had any serious issues with Roon. I bought the lifetime license when they needed revenue, it was under $500.

ok... I'll take Logitech Media Server which is also under $500 ($0)

:D:D:D

SOPA