Tube phono preamp options

Options
I'm considering a few tube phono preamplifiers under $2000 and I am interested to know if anyone in the PF community has experience with any of the following:

ANK level 3
Aural Thrills Serenade
Budgie

I'm open to other recommendations as well. My only gripe with the ANK and the ATA is that they are very large, and I would prefer the power supply to be in a separate enclosure. I suppose, with the ANK I could package it in my own enclosure since it is a kit. I have a good selection of NOS 12AX7 tubes, but not many 6922 tubes for rolling.
Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |

Comments

• newbie308
    Options
    I was just reading some older posts and saw @F1nut suggested the Musical Surroundings Nova II. I know that this is not a tube pre, but I definitely respect his opinions when it comes to equipment, so I will add this to the list of preamps I'm considering.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited December 2022
    Options
    You're a diy type. Look at the Bottlehead Eros 2. Ive had Hagerman, Modwright, Krell Reference KPE, Innersound phono ( made by Coda). IMO it punches way past its price point.

I have the Eros, the 2 is slightly larger, easier to assemble and provides space for SUT's. Read the in depth for details.

https://bottlehead.com/product/eros-2-phono-preamplifier-kit/
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • newbie308
    Options
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    Seems like a great deal! I would buy it if I wasn't so god damn lazy and actually played vinyl daily. And if I had piles of cash.

For now I am happy with my iFi iPhono 3 BL though. Although the Manley is definitely tempting.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/196639/big-bottle-audio-bb3-tube-phonostage/p1
    I bought mine assembled, but I believe they sell them as kits, too. It uses one 12AX7/ECC83, and two PCC88.

These Herron get a lot of good reviews as well. https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649929217-herron-vtph-2a-phono-preamplifier/ They use a combination of 12AX7 and 12AT7, depending on the desired amount of gain.

Joey linked to a Tavish Design Audio Adagio not too long ago, but they don't use any 12AX7.

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • newbie308
    Options
    I was just reading up on the Rogue Ares Magnum. There's a few available used for attractive prices in the usual places. I've narrowed down the field to the Ares or the Chinook. I do like that the Ares has a separate power supply, but I haven't found one Chinook review that complained of hum.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,278
    Options
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649925185-space-tech-lab-p103mm-amp-str-104-mk2-super-rectifier-300b-tubes/

This has a separate power supply, it's used but you didn't specify used or new. I don't have any experience with his phone preamps, but his tube dac and preamp sound really great. I did read a user review that said his phone preamp sounded better than a modwright phono preamp without the separate power supply.
  • newbie308
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649925185-space-tech-lab-p103mm-amp-str-104-mk2-super-rectifier-300b-tubes/

This has a separate power supply, it's used but you didn't specify used or new. I don't have any experience with his phone preamps, but his tube dac and preamp sound really great. I did read a user review that said his phone preamp sounded better than a modwright phono preamp without the separate power supply.

That's really cool, but it doesn't really match anything in my current setup. Plus I would need step up transformers if I move into a MC cartridge. I'd prefer something that will accommodate both MM & MC. Thank you for the suggestion!
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    edited December 2022
    Options
    People have reported out success with a MC -> SUT -> MM phono
    as the preferred setup.

As for me I was looking at the Icon Audio PS1 MKII
    (it would satisfy the MC upgrade path) but I haven't seen
    and "glowing" reviews. :p

I then jumped to Goldnote 10* (wanted the $2000 PS to go with it)
    and now I'm eyeballing the Project Box RS2 phono.
    I blindly presume an outboard PS with will make it sound better as well.

*there were multiple reports of issues with the power supply
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    I didn't even know that Canary made a phono pre. Interesting.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    I’ve had the Ares. It’s actually a good phono.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • rebelsoul
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

It's pretty bad ****. I am thinking the next up grade is going with a cary slp-05 or a two peace tupe pre by canary and that phono pre two piece by canary . Now that I got those Reimer tenton gs modded speaks .the modded carver no slouch, but the Cary and Canary two piece pres are a dream
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited December 2022
    Options
    newbie308 wrote: »
    I was just reading up on the Rogue Ares Magnum. There's a few available used for attractive prices in the usual places. I've narrowed down the field to the Ares or the Chinook. I do like that the Ares has a separate power supply, but I haven't found one Chinook review that complained of hum.

I've had the Rogue Ares Magnum for several years, it's a very good sounding stage, that is very receptive to various tubes. I would roll in some 12AT7's in the AU7 slots to achieve a little more gain, this was suggested by Rogue themselves, so it's safe.

The Ares beat out a Tavish Adagio loaded with NOS tubes by a good margin, at least in my set-up.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

It's pretty bad ****. I am thinking the next up grade is going with a cary slp-05 or a two peace tupe pre by canary and that phono pre two piece by canary . Now that I got those Reimer tenton gs modded speaks .the modded carver no slouch, but the Cary and Canary two piece pres are a dream

FYI, I just found out John Lau (owner and designer of Canary Audio) passed away a few weeks ago. That news came as a shock to me. He was a kind person, highly knowledgeable and genuinely cared about his customers. I will miss our conversations but will continue loving his personally upgraded design (preamplifier).

RIP, John.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    May he rest in peace, and may his spirit live on in his designs and those who enjoy them.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    If you are looking at using pure tube stages with an MC cart, you'll have to be tolerant of noise or chase down some really quiet tubes.

The Budgie and ANK Level 3 are MM only.

The Rogue Ares Magnum uses SUTs for the MC stage. Be aware that they have updated this model (now Ares II), so make sure you identify which variety you are buying.

The Chinook is a hybird JFET/tube design. It also has Version 1s and 2s floating around.

The Innersound Phono (mentioned above) is very good for the price but might not have enough gain for all setups/carts. It does support fully balanced setup, if you're into that sort of thing. I've had one for over 10 years and I keep coming back to it.

I have a Fosgate Signature Phono v2, whose sound I like a lot, but it has a tube that is starting to get noisy, so I have to chase that down.

I also have a Mod Squad Phono Drive, which was Stereophile Class A way back in the 90s. It has knobs on the front for MM/MC and impedance selection. Very nice sound, but a little bit more noise than the Innersound.

Just picked up a Parks Audio Puffin, which has nice sound and amazing flexibility.

Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts