My Next Upgrade

Heard many good reports about this little phono pre and thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on it. Not that the built-in pre in my Yammie not being able to cut it, it's quite capable, but this would still be an notable upgrade and the price is right.

https://www.amazon.com/iFi-Preamp-Turntables-Record-Players/dp/B08H2GPD7F

The Pro-ject Phono S2 has been on my list for a long time, but $500.00 is slightly out of my budget right now.

Comments

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,969
    Let us know how it sounds. I can't complain about the phono pre in my peamp but I have never compared to anything. Just might spring for this one since it is returnable.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    muncybob wrote: »
    Let us know how it sounds. I can't complain about the phono pre in my peamp but I have never compared to anything. Just might spring for this one since it is returnable.

Will do, Bob. Be patient tho. Might be a couple 2 or 3 months down the road. Funds are tight in the corn pop economy.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    Keiko wrote: »

Will do, Bob. Be patient tho. Might be a couple 2 or 3 months down the road. Funds are tight in the corn pop economy.

Try filling out the student loan repayment forms you may be able to get one of those parasound John curl phono Pre's
    😉
  • Keiko
    edited November 2022
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Keiko wrote: »

Try filling out the student loan repayment forms you may be able to get one of those parasound John curl phono Pre's
    😉

I have too much integrity for that, brother. If I can't earn it on my own, I don't need it. :)

On a side note, I'm really enjoying this little Goldring E3 cartridge I picked up. Excellent budget cart! Been spinning all afternoon and evening with some Boz Scaggs, Two Down Then Left currently spinning. The 70s were a great time for music!

#RockOn
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,305
    Are you using a RigB with it, Mike?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Keiko
    edited November 2022
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Are you using a RigB with it, Mike?

Tom

Not with this cartridge. However, it can be done since Goldring uses an Audio-Technica AT95 body spect for Goldring. I have an AT91 that I modded with the RigB, fitted with an aftermarket nude elliptical Swiss black diamond and it punches way above it's price-point.

Here's an image of my RigB. Not much to look at, but trust when I tell you, this little gem can sing!

7otjwxeybn3j.jpg

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,305
    So, here's what I am looking at bro'....

RigB with a Goldring 1012Gx cart. Which one should I choose....?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Keiko
    edited November 2022
    treitz3 wrote: »
    So, here's what I am looking at bro'....

RigB with a Goldring 1012Gx cart. Which one should I choose....?

Tom

No option for that, Tom. The mod is only available for the AT91, 95 and 500 series cartridges.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=878634179396550&set=gm.1011845712920121
  • Keiko
    @treitz3 - Tom, if you'd like to try the RigB, do what I did and go with an AT91. I bought my own cartridge and did the mod myself. You can also purchase one already done if you prefer. Just contact Simon and he'll set you up either way.

When I did mine, it set me back about $120.00 bucks and that included the Analogis, nude elliptical black diamond I chose for it. Cost for that stylus was about 30.00 bucks. There are also even better aftermarket available styli available like the hyper-elliptical and Shibata, but that increases the cost to about 150.00+ for these types. I might upgrade just to try later on, but for now, I'm really enjoying my E3.
  • Keiko
    Tom, if you're still following this thread, I've been looking at the Goldring 1000 series and the 1006 & 1012GX have sparked my interest. I've heard the 1006 is an excellent cartridge, but I'm really interested in the 1012GX and that Gyger II stylus. dromunds also has the 1012GX which I noted in the E3 thread and I'd be interested in your gentleman's thoughts on it.

I like the fact that the cartridge can be upgraded utilizing different styli within the series. Similar to what Audio Technica did with their VM cartridge series. I bought an AT-VM95e/h and upgraded that stylus to a ML. Great bang for the buck and I'm interested now in what Goldring has to offer higher up in their food chain. I dig the E3 a lot and considering the deal I got, it puts a smile on my face when listening.

Anyway, hope you gents see this and holler back when it's convenient.

Merry Christmas!