Follow up review of the Maggie LRS after 6 months in my system.

Options
pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
edited December 2022 in Speakers
ttrxbybx6p05.jpg
n6lbi6wp148i.jpg
ot0ull39okoz.jpg
lyj9u2ywhswg.jpg
kdhzw1tp8i1d.jpg
y44hpq9xttc5.jpg
g8j6sbdk9orl.jpg
Well I must say "Color me Impressed"!! Did I mention that I'm impressed!! After having owned nothing but box speakers (towers & monitors) for years I felt it time to broaden my horizons & boy am I glad I did.
I have heard about Maggies over the years but just never had the itch to try a pair. I figured it was time to dabble & ordered the LRS.

They do require decent horsepower & high current to bring out their best & my Parasound A21+ has that covered in spades.

They arrived in early June & now after a 6 months of tweaking, moving, listening & then more listening with tweeters in then out & realizing that the slightest adjustment really can be detected I believe they have reached their final resting place at 64" from the front wall & 28" from side walls with the tweeters out. I originally liked the tweeters in but have since taken more of a liking to the tweeters out. I also added a pair of Magna Risers Airborne stands which really added to their already incredible performance.

These speakers are definitely not for the faint of heart that aren't committed to putting in the time to achieve their maximum performance in your room. I'm talking about some serious time hear. Coming from box speakers that are petty much plop & play (with some minor adjustments) to setting these up is night & day.

If I could use one word to sum up their capabilities I would say they are "IMMERSIVE". The soundstage is incredible in depth, height, width & sounding like a live performance. They definitely have the ability in presenting a realistic 3D image depending on the recording. Almost spooky in some respects when you hear things well in front & even as if behind you. The imaging ability is also dead on...I can pin point the entire performance as far as instrument placement & the exact location of the vocals. Their strong suit is definitely in the mids & vocals...they'll melt you like butter! They aren't too shabby in the bass department but do need reinforcement in that department to make them full range. My KEF KC62 sub has that covered big time. That little guy is one awesome sub.

Off axis listening is also extremely impressive, pretty much at 90% of listening in the sweet spot. Depending on my mood & relaxation needed I'll pick a spot & settle in.

Another added bonus is their simply awesome performance as fronts in my HT. I was always a center channel guy but now have ruled out the need for one with these pulling HT front duty. The sound is anchored dead center no matter what is thrown at them.

Well that about sums it up, happy camper here that I took the plunge!

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• Navy_Goat
    Options
    Thanks for the write up! I would love to check out a pair of LRS at some point. I am interested in non-traditional speakers in all forms. Currently I have 2 pair of SDAs set up (2Btl and 2.3tl) as well as a set of Zu Audio DW and some Ohm Walsh2 in the garage. For sure I will have to check out some electrostats at some point. Your comments only reinforce my desire to find a pair to set up somewhere int he house.

Your listening room looks like a nice place to spend an afternoon!
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Navy_Goat wrote: »
    Thanks for the write up! I would love to check out a pair of LRS at some point. I am interested in non-traditional speakers in all forms. Currently I have 2 pair of SDAs set up (2Btl and 2.3tl) as well as a set of Zu Audio DW and some Ohm Walsh2 in the garage. For sure I will have to check out some electrostats at some point. Your comments only reinforce my desire to find a pair to set up somewhere int he house.

Your listening room looks like a nice place to spend an afternoon!

If you ever get the chance definitely give the LRS a whirl...I'm sure you will enjoy them!
    I see you have a pair of Ohm Walsh 2 speakers. I always wanted to try them but from what I've read the best placement is close to the front wall. That's not ideal for my room.

Thanks for the comment on my room...it certainly gets it fair share of use.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    The LRS are addicting, but wait until you get your ears on a set of 3.7i....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pearsall001
    Options
    The LRS are addicting, but wait until you get your ears on a set of 3.7i....

I'm afraid to! As Magnepan says in their marketing literature: The LRS are like a "gateway drug" enough to get you hooked & move on up the line.

If I ever do make a move it will most likely be to the 1.7i. I'd skip over the LRS+ & the .7's. For my room the 1.7i are a solid match size wise. The 3.7i are just too big. But for the foreseeable future the LRS will be filling the bill nicely. 👍
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Correct! The biggest I’d put in that room is the 1.7i. I wish Magnepan would put a version of the true ribbon in one of the smaller models. I recently sold my 3.6Rs and although I miss them, especially the ribbons, it’s time to downsize.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    Is that a saddle under the blanket?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    Is that Nosferatu on TV or is someone spooky in your house?
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • pearsall001
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

Eastern...cause I live in Jersey, I guess 🤔
  • pearsall001
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Is that Nosferatu on TV or is someone spooky in your house?

Dang! I must have ghosts running around.👻
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options

They are great for improving imaging! Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pearsall001
    Options

They are great for improving imaging! Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

That they are 👍
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    Nice review, glad you are digging them!
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice review, glad you are digging them!

Very enjoyable on all accounts! I wish I gave a pair of Maggie's a shot years ago. But then it's never too late.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Nice Phil, glad your still scraping your left nut off the floor. When they can image decently, a center for HT is kinda useless in my opinion also. You have those badboys pretty far out into the room....is that the spot you feel is best or could you move them back a foot without losing much?.

Also, your room seems to be a bit over dampened, do you think that plays into the sound signature of the speaks? Honestly, the room looks like most any room found in many homes, so it's good to know they can work well in that environment without additional panels.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Nice Phil, glad your still scraping your left nut off the floor. When they can image decently, a center for HT is kinda useless in my opinion also. You have those badboys pretty far out into the room....is that the spot you feel is best or could you move them back a foot without losing much?.

Also, your room seems to be a bit over dampened, do you think that plays into the sound signature of the speaks? Honestly, the room looks like most any room found in many homes, so it's good to know they can work well in that environment without additional panels.

Hey Tony,

How's it going... great I hope!

The room pretty much has stayed the same over the years & I've had other speakers with the same room set-up. I think it's pretty much filled with standard stuff for everyday use. It's also a decent size room...13x30x7. Lots of breathing room for sure.

I played with them for 6 months in just about every configuration I could think of. From 2' to 64" out from the front wall (where they really opened up & the Maggie magic sprang into action) And 28" from the side walls really anchored the sound. I'm sure I'll play around some more down the road but for now I'm just going to enjoy them where they now rest.

Add definitely the center channel speaker is a non issue with their imaging capabilities.

As for my left nut...still attached & working as it should. 🙏 With us old geezers everyday is an adventure.

• pearsall001
    Options
    Adding the Maga Risers Airborne stands have elevated the already fantastic performance even further. Relatively inexpensive tweak that certainly has paid off.