New L800 Speakers Just Arrived - Now Which Centre Speaker?

puunda
puunda Posts: 116
edited December 2022 in Speakers
My new L800 (in black) just arrived. Am breaking them in.

When unpacking I noticed there was an SDA cable in each speaker box, so there are 2 cables. Is this so they can connected together to used as a long cable?

Right out of the gate the imaging is insane. The sound stage is big and the vocals in the middle are solid. Even if I sit off centre it's still there.

I had the 1.2TL 10+ years ago and I don't believe these sound as good as them. However my memory of how they sound my not be totally accurate and my hearing has likely degraded over the years.

I'm hoping the tonal characteristics will change as I break them in, at the moment it's a little bit bright.

So far after less than a day I am very happy with them. Maybe wished I'd gone for the walnut though.

In terms of centre speaker ... Because the R series uses the same drivers, I am assuming the R400 would be an ok match for timbre/tone. Since the R400 is so much cheaper than the L400, is the L400 that much better to justify the price?

I guess that's a really long way of asking
R400 or L400 to go with L800?

Thanks

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited December 2022
    The L800 replaced 1.2TL’s that had been fully restored. You have a solid month of break-in time ahead of you before you will start to really hear what they can do. As far as the center goes… yes, the L400 is that good.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    L600
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited December 2022
    R400 would be fine. L400 would be perfect. I have both and swapped them around a couple times. The main drawback to me is the L400's size. The R400 will fit in/on my Salamander rack but the L400 has to go on a center speaker stand.

FWIW, the LSiM center speakers do very well too in blending with the L800s.

Congrats on the new speaker experience.

There is an SDA cable included for each speaker in case someone has to route the cables in such a way as to need a longer length than just one cable provides. They are designed to connect together for that purpose. I just use one.

The L800s take a while to open up and demand a high current amp. I recommend taking the rubber feet off and using the spikes beneath those. The rubber feet made my speakers sound a bit vague and not properly focused. Much better sound without those.

FWIW, if you look for aftermarket spikes the thread size for those is M12-1.5
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    puunda wrote: »
    Right out of the gate the imaging is insane. The sound stage is big and the vocals in the middle are solid. Even if I sit off centre it's still there.
    This surprises me, the sitting off center bit.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I had the 1.2TL 10+ years ago and I don't believe these sound as good as them.

Nothing wrong with your memory.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    IMHO...The L400 is by far the best center Polk has ever made, sound is great.

Example:
    LSiC
    21-1/8"W x 7-1/16"H x 9-1/16"D
    21.125x7.063x9.063
    1352.253 cu in

L400
    26"W x 9-1/2"H x 13-1/2"D
    26x9.5x13.5
    3334.5 cu in

2.47 times larger

The LSiC was the weak link in the LSi series. The RTiA6 center in the RTiA series was much better sounding center, than the LSi flagship series.

I actually installed LCi-RTS-C in-wall speaker in a DIY box because the sound was so much better, when I had a Lsi home theater system.

I now have the L600 w/900 atmos modules, L400 canter, L100 for rear chnl, and for still have LCi8's in ceiling for rear atmos, and 2-SVS 4000 subs

System is great
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited December 2022
    I figure the L800 is more on par size wise with something around the old SDA 1C level. But, add a good Rel subwoofer or two and the system performance is boosted a lot. Not required at all though.
  • puunda
    puunda Posts: 116
    Thanks for the quick reply everyone. Kind of confirmed what I was suspecting.
    The R400 is fine, but the L400 is better and worth the money. I guess I will bit the bullet and get that.

For the rest of the system I will be using different speakers. I have 4 x on wall for surrounds and rears. I don't believe there is a speaker in the L series which are slim on wall, and I don't believe the surrounds have to match the LCR.

I will also be leaving my current 4 x ceiling speakers. Again, I don't believe they to match and current there is no L series celling speakers. I was told years ago that ceiling speakers were better than top speakers like the L900 for ATMOS/DTS:X, so I have gone that route.

I'll need to measure to see if the L400 will fit
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You're going in the right direction.

let us know how it all pans out...Merry Christmas
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a