Musical Fidelity A 308 volume issue

Options
I am trying out a Musical Fidelity A 308 integrated. Very nice but going against a Yamaha A S1200 and a Rogue Cronus Magnum II so we shall see. The remote control only moves the volume control about to the 9:30 position then stops. It the unit not the remote as I programmed another and it does the same Had a Parsound Halo 2.1 Hint that did this and had to go in but I thought I had a Rotel 995 premap that did it but was able to fix it with lube or contact cleaner. Any ideas? thanks

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    Did you learn in the other remote from the MF remote, or did you download codes for it?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    The MF remotes were known to be problematic on some units. Sometimes it'll stop if you're not aiming it just right, or if it's in low light.

With my A5, I've had it start to go up or down and not stop when I let off the button. That's usually in low light situations, though.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Can you manually turn the volume knob past 9:30?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,071
    Options
    OK Yes it can manually be turned but remote is important . I plug my Harmony 350 into the computer, put in the make and model and it downloads to the remote. Probably loaded and unloaded about 50 things into this over the years. BOTH remotes operate identically It is the main unit having the issue. My Parasound was under warranty and had to be sent in for this and it was a known problem . The Rotel RC 995, I think I smacked the motor with a screwdriver handle and it started working. NAD M3 which is an encoder and jumped all over, required removing the knob and putting it on its back and drenching it with contact cleaner.

I sat in front of it and went back and forth for 10 minutes with the remote and helped it along a bit. It got to the point where It would be at full on and go all the way back to zero with the remote and then up to about 11:00 or so. It loosened up. It then sat a few hours and on fire up we were back to the same thing. This thing sat for 7 months or so as the guy got Mac gear He had it for sale a long time ago locally and I talked to him about it . Then it came up again and since I believe in head head
    comparing and PP Credit loves me there you have it. I think this is form this sitting and he also mentioned he never turned it up very much at all. Not sure whether to try lube or cleanser on this.
  • geppy1
    Options
    Update Took it apart and put a drop of oil down the shaft into the motor area and loosened the front panel and tried to get some behind there IT WORKS . As I am putting it together I am thinking what are the odds it does not work after i put 18 screws back in ? Sure enough back to 9:30. Ah, it is a mechanical or physical problem. I loosened the four comer bolts on the front panel a little (still does not wiggle) and NOW it works fine. Interesting
    Let the shootout being. Problem is I have lost my way with speakers which is the first thing you should have set as I sold all my Mirages like a dumb ****.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I’ll be interested to hear the results of your shootout.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Excess torque on the bolts must have warped the faceplate just enough to cause the volume pot to rub internally. At least you got it figured out.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    Options
    That's a pretty thick aluminum faceplate.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    I’ll be interested to hear the results of your shootout.

This! Let us know the results of this shoot-out.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • geppy1
    Options
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    My ONLY grip with MF gear is the remote controlled volume....and the remotes themselves tend to be junk.....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Fwiw, when I used the IR repeater, I had zero issues with the remote on mine
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    My Tri-Vista volume on the remote can be a bit picky as well.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Get a Harmony.

President of Club Polk