Lets Talk Phono Preamp's

Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,838
edited November 2022 in 2 Channel Audio
I would like to here what others are using, and what would be your dream phono pre?

I am still using my Jolida JD9 fully modified pre with a VPI Scout with a DV-20X2 Cart.
Cables are MIT Shotgun3's.

Sometimes I feel it has to much gain on High Output, and not enough on Low Output, and a little too much hiss coming through the speakers for my liking.

Yes I have swapped tubes, from TF's, BB's, and even TS Gold pins.

Yes I have moved cables around as well.

Granted I haven't had the time I would like to play with my rig as I once did a few years ago, but I know I had it sounding better than I do right now on the vinyl side of things.

The only things that I have changed in the last year, and could be playing a big part of this is my Cary gear I picked up last December. SA500.1's and the SLP 05.

I have two phono pre's I would love to try, (Modwright PH-9.0X and the Cary VT-500) but having a phono pre that cost double or more than what I paid for my VPI just seems ODD to me, even on the used market if and when you can find one.

The Cary is obviously a little cheaper, and I absolutely love the build quality of Modwrights gear, I would even say their customer service is even better, very helpful, and easy to talk to. Not that Cary's is horrible, but not being able to call, and actually not talk to a human being just lacks for me, emailing back and forth to get an answer is just cheap IMO.

With that said I still like Cary's gear, but as an audio company in what I still think is a niche market they could learn a thing or two on how Modwright does it.

Comments

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    edited November 2022
    ok lets talk.

I'm just as interested in hearing about Phono cables they love...
    Is there any advantage at all going balanced from the phono pre
    to line level?

I've wanted to introduce tubes into my two channel via a phone pre.
    However, my vinyl setup right now has NO noise to the maximum level
    I play it at 75db

I've been eyeing jumping from MM to MC as well.
    Post edited by SIHAB on
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • SIHAB
    Did @Joey_V move on from Zesto?
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Do you have the "L" or "H" version of the cartridge?
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Larry, are you using the MIT I/C between the TT and your Phono Stage? Or, between the Phono Stage and the Line Preamp? Only reason I ask is that I've always heard the the MIT was not a good option for a Phono Cable because of the caps in their design.

Regardless, I've had the ModWright PH 9.0 (non XLR) since it was first introduced. It's a very good Stage that is dead quiet and with all the settings/adjustments you need, conveniently located on the front panel (Mono Switch on the back).

Both MM and MC Inputs lets you run two tables if you would have the need. Love mine and wont be parting with it anytime soon.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I have a PH9.0X for use with my VPI prime and Soundsmith MIMC star. It sounds fantastic, quality is absolutely excellent. I have not tune rolled with it yet but will hear shortly. My only desire would be having a 1K ohm loading setting. 470 is plenty for most situations but having 1000 would give ultimately flexibility.

And as I have touched on before, your assessment of Modwright’s customer service is spot on. Dan literally will do whatever he can to take care of the customer and that is commendable.

I’ve had a few cheaper phonos prior to this including the lounge and Rega MC, nothing wrong with either of those units just wanted to future proof and I am a bit of a MW fanboy
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,712
    Musical Surroundings Nova II, it's battery powered. VPI Scout with Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC.

I found that using MIT Shotgun S1 IC's from table to phono pre does not work, so I bought some silver phono IC's from Audio Sensibility for that. I use MIT Shotgun S1 IC's from the phono pre to the integrated.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    edited November 2022
    F1nut wrote: »
    Musical Surroundings Nova II, it's battery powered. VPI Scout with Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC.

I found that using MIT Shotgun S1 IC's from table to phono pre does not work, so I bought some silver phono IC's from Audio Sensibility for that. I use MIT Shotgun S1 IC's from the phono pre to the integrated.

Same, I am using my MIT Shotguns from the Jolida to the Cary, I have a set of silver cables that Brian made for me at Ball, very nice cables. I should have stated that above..

28k79b9tw0qh.jpeg
    y7slvm13wl1i.jpeg
  • stangman67
    I forgot to add, my dream phono pre is the PH100 of course. Such a beautiful piece and I got the opportunity to listen to one this weekend (in a much much nicer setup than my own), and I was enthralled.

Where are you located Larry?

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Toolfan66
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I forgot to add, my dream phono pre is the PH100 of course. Such a beautiful piece and I got the opportunity to listen to one this weekend (in a much much nicer setup than my own), and I was enthralled.

Where are you located Larry?

Colorado

• stangman67
    Dang too far, if you were close a road trip with the PH9.0X could be fun!

• SIHAB
    ^^^ nice.
    I looked hard at the Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista Vinyl.
    Glad to get a positive report.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    I think a good phono stage is worth spending some cash on......I have an Acoustech ph1 (I think....) that is the best I’ve had. I had a Manley Chinook which was as good / marginally better but rare and more expensive
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    SIHAB wrote: »
    I looked hard at the Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista Vinyl.
    Glad to get a positive report.
    The MF Nu-Vista Vinyl is a beast, taking up the real estate of a 'full-sized' component, but IMO it is worth it. Lots of 'on-the-fly' loading adjustments on the front panel, and other options on the back panel. Balanced/XLR outputs are available on the back, plus the aforementioned grounding switch options.

Honestly, I have to say, this phonostage is meant for making adjustments for multiple cartridges (both MM and MC). If you are a consummate cartridge-swapper, then this is for you. If you are a 'set-it, and forget-it', user, then look elsewhere.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    edited November 2022
    Did @Joey_V move on from Zesto?

Yes.

I have the audio research reference 10 phono.

It is sublime.

Not sure where I’ll go from here.

tuaphz09acjc.jpeg

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Separate power supply, eh? Very nice. Very nice...

Would you be so kind to share what the upstream was leading up to this?

I have the Jolida JDMKII, just like the OP and with great tubes. Different TT and gear but....if you would be willing to indulge in on your opinion?

Please advise and thanks.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2022
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Separate power supply, eh? Very nice. Very nice...

Would you be so kind to share what the upstream was leading up to this?

I have the Jolida JDMKII, just like the OP and with great tubes. Different TT and gear but....if you would be willing to indulge in on your opinion?

Please advise and thanks.

Tom

I have:

VPI Avenger Reference with Rim Drive motor, ADS speed control unit, Fatboy 12” Dual Pivot, with Lyra Etna cartridge.
    I believe my phono cable is audioquest one level below the wild and wel… the name escapes me at this time. I know it is silver. I forget which.

Just about as important is the cleaner I have, Degritter.

I have had the Rogue Audio Ares Magnum, Arc Ref 2 phono, and Zesto Andros 1.2. They all had their sound, for my taste, I thought the Zesto was just about right. Until I had the 10 side by side.

That said, I had the ARC Ref 10 phono in the system and I thought it was about as good as I could expect vinyl to be. The stage was wider but also tighter if that makes sense. Tone is about right, decay etc and realism is without any significant negatives. I don’t have any complaints other than my hearing must be nearing it’s resolution limit.

It works well, it has a ton of options and can be done remotely while seated. It is a tour de force though I haven’t yet played with the tubes or cabling. I’m not sure what’s to gain by going say Lamm or CH or Boulder phono… I suspect this is nearly as good as ARC can make design wise. I’m sure there’ll be an 11 someday… but I’m guessing a different flavor rather than a night day difference.

I think I have hit diminishing returns.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I have this, no complaints: https://ifi-audio.com/products/micro-iphono3-bl/

I haven't put very much thought into "dream" phono preamps, but here's a few designs that look like they would be interesting to try:

Luxman EQ-500 http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=6

The aforementioned Manley Chinook https://www.manley.com/hifi/mch
  • SIHAB
    Thanks @Joey_V !

Hope you are having a blast with your family. :D
  • Joey_V
    Thanks @Joey_V !

Hope you are having a blast with your family. :D
    We are
    The kids take turns sleeping next to dad, it’s been a blast
    They are all into making art and hanging it on the walls
    Also, they enjoy seeing records when they arrive in the mail because they play with the boxes and they think all record players look like dad’s
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    I just installed the parks budgie with the Lounge LCR that I picked up here. Wow what a great combination. That budgie is incredible. very happy with rega 6 that I picked up from Stangman.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    I am back to the Schiit Mani. The Moon Audio burned up two power supplies, with a Sumiko Blackbird LoMC cartidge. I have notice a HUGE difference in detail between my digital and phono sections of my rig. My dream phono pre is the Pro-Ject Phono Box RS2. I like the idea that the impedance and gain can be adjusted continuously.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • I had the Chinook and Zesto Andros 1.2 side by side for a while and liked them both. The Zesto had more resolving ability and the Chinook had a warmer/sweeter more tubey presentation.
    I moved to a Manley Steelhead which seems to combine the virtues of both and is also pretty versatile with inputs for 3 cartridges and a lot of setting flexibility, including the ability to function as a linestage.

If you want something that’ll compete head to head with many top phonostages, including the Steelhead, yet runs for less than a grand, try the iFi iPhono3 Black Label. It’s an incredible bargain.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Good to see you around, Carl! Hopefully join us for the next GTG!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Doesn't Rick use the iPhono? Not sure which model but he is very happy with it (and his vinyl setup is one of the better ones I have heard in my travels)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Hey Troy… hey Tom.
    Yes, Rick has the iPhono3. It’s a cracking little phonostage.
    Happy Christmas from VA!
    Carl