Marantz SR 5011 & Electrical Outage

Kingkwas
Kingkwas Posts: 92
edited December 2022 in Electronics
Two nights ago bad storms knocked out power in our neighborhood. It was weird in that some power remained. Certain lights worked at very low voltage but most of the house was out. Anyway, power was restored and most everything is back to normal.

My Marantz SR 5011 is running really hot. I have an AC Infinity fan on top and it keeps kicking on to cool. It barely ever did so before. Last night we were just streaming an HBO show with normal volume levels not pushing the system. All electronics are run through a Panamax MR4000 surge protector.

Any ideas why it all of sudden running so hot post the electrical outage?

Thank you in advance.
AVR: Marantz SR 5011
L/ R: Polk Audio 703 LSiM (Bi Amp'd)
C: Polk Audio 255c - LS
R: Def Tech
Sub: PSW 505 (12 inch)
DVD: Oppo UDP 203
TV: 2016 Sony XBR 75X850D

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited December 2022
    You had what sounds like a "brown out" where limited voltage was still flowing to your house. That can be quite damaging to electronics too and sometimes worse than a power surge.

It's rarely happened at mine but when it has I run to the breaker box and shut the whole house down until I heard the power is restored.

I suspect a brown out damaged a PS Audio AC regenerator I used to have which was essentially a huge power amplifier. Didn't kill it right away but it started doing weird things soon after that caused fuses to blow in gear connected to it.
  • Kingkwas
    Kingkwas Posts: 92
    edited December 2022
    Thanks for the reply.

What is a PS Audio AC regenerator? Is that apart of the house or the Marantz? And how do I fix it?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited December 2022
    One of these...and a reason I no longer use power regenerators.

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/psaudio2/p1000.html

I doubt your MR4000 affected anything upstream but I'm not sure what it does with undervoltage situations.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Power goes out I unplug everything of importance. Refrigerator, freezer all audio and TV. Take no chances anymore. Too many hard spike's on/off when power is being restored.
  • Small update. I tried to restart my Panamax MR4000. When I did, nothing connected would work. Odd because it all worked for about a day after the black/ brown out. Now nothing. Plugged everything in thru another surge protector and its all working.

Marantz is still running hot. Any ideas why?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    Because it's **** because of the brownout? Consider replacing it.
  • I’d prefer not to spend $1000+/- if possible. 2022 has not been kind to my pocket book
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    The voltage regulators and/or output transistors probably got stressed due to the extended low voltage environment. It's also possible the bias has drifted or the thermal interface material has now dried out.

Really hard to say without popping the top and digging into it. Local electronics repair technician could be able to address the symptom, but a lot of times the cost of the repair isn't very cost effective versus just putting money towards a new unit.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    I don't know if this will work or not but try resetting it by Hold down the "TUNER PRESET CH +" and "STATUS" buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds.