Basic Amplifier Kits

I’m thinking about building an amplifier this winter. I’ve built a few a long time age, so I think it’d be fun. I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with the following kits or if there are others that could be recommended: 1.) Amp Camp Amp; 2.) Akitika GT 102; 3.) Elekit; 4.) Audionote; 5.) VTA ST-70 or ST-120 (tubes4hifi); 6.) Bottlehead. I’m not picky about power output since it will likely be driving efficient speakers.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    edited September 2021
    I’ve done ampcamp and Bottlehead.

Bottlehead will be your best sounding option.

The S.E.X. amp is great but very low power.

Stereomore is next step up with a bit more power.

After that it gets pretty $$$.

But the amp amp amp isn’t even close to the quality of the Bottlehead gear…and Bottlehead has TUBES!!! And flawless tech support.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Thanks, Aaron. Anyone else want to chime in? I learned that @Navy_Goat is very happy with the Akitika that he built.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    The first question ya gotta come to grips with is: what do you want the amp(s) to do? Or, perhaps more to the point, what do you want to do with the amp(s)?

A single-ended triode (or pseudo-triode) amplifier -- or the ACA, for that matter -- is a very specialized piece of hardware, with low power and high output impedance (i.e., low damping factor). This will make the choice of load (i.e., loudspeakers) very critical to the success or failure of the gambit. What kind of loudspeakers do you have or are you planning to acquire?

The Akitika gets good press and might be the most "practical" choice for the average Polk Forum member and the kind of loudspeakers they use, I'd suspect.

There's a good discussion to be had here, I think, but we need to rewind the tape ;) a bit to have it!

• ALL212
    These smart guys here… SMH. :p

Ya, what speakers?
    Just a power amp or do you need an integrated or pre + power?

After looking at the Akitika GT I hear a voice that says the Bottlehead moreplay tubed pre and that GT -102 might be a fun winter project!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • maxward
    I currently have big Maggies (3.6R). Driving them with Odyssey Khartago monos. However, I may downsize the whole system and acquire more efficient bookies or floorstanders. On my list are Zu, Rosso Fiorentino and maybe Fyne or Dynaudio. I’m leaning to building the Akitika at the moment, but tubes are alluring. I would like to keep my Joule preamp, but that could also go in favor of an integrated or another preamp with remote. That’s not too specific, but it’s what I’m thinking now.
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2021
    Magneplanars and tubes are... not easy. Not because of the nature of the load (mose of the Magneplanars I've seen impedance plots for behave nearly as pure resistance, except for some impedance weirdness at the crossovers), but because they're so insensitive.

If you're gonna be using the Magneplanars, I'd second the recommendation to try a tube preamp, as that smart dude @ALL212 has suggested above :) , if you wish to "taste tubes".

• ALL212
    I’m an Odyssey guy myself.

Personal opinion is none of those kits is even close to the sound you’ll get out of Khartago’s.

However, different speakers and a tubed pre … bazinga!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • maxward
    My Joule Electra is tubed and a keeper.
  • ALL212
    “ as that smart dude @ALL212 has suggested”

@mhardy6647 :D

I’s gots‘pinions…dats about it. Ain’t gots no smarts…
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    ALL212 wrote: »
    “ as that smart dude @ALL212 has suggested”

@mhardy6647 :D

I’s gots‘pinions…dats about it. Ain’t gots no smarts…

I kinda suspected we were kindred spirits, ol' son. :)

So, @maxward -- if'n ya gots a tubed preamp, I'd say (speaking of opinions!) that you're done, vis-a-vis the Magneplanars.

Time to explore new (or, at least, new to you) loudspeakers --

sc2kck6s8m2m.jpg

Something like these'll pair nicely with a single-ended 2A3 amplfier B)

• maxward
    The short-term goal here is to build something and have a little fun doing it. Down the road, I’d like to plan for the eventual downsizing of the “big” system to something I can move to a smaller house or give to my son. So something like those^^^ would be fun, but they take up too much real estate.
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2021
    maxward wrote: »
    The short-term goal here is to build something and have a little fun doing it. Down the road, I’d like to plan for the eventual downsizing of the “big” system to something I can move to a smaller house or give to my son. So something like those^^^ would be fun, but they take up too much real estate.

There are small and sensitive options -- heck, someone who has posted this very thread was sellin' a pair of fairly high sensitivity fullrangers just the other day... ;) I am just saying... B)

dbz7huz4vxbm.png

Heck, pick up a pair of Klipsch Fortes and go SE 2A3 (e.g., Doc B's Stereomour, if it's still available?).

Or, maybe (just maybe) go all kit, all the time...
    e.g.,
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-12m-folded-horn-kit-pair/
    or
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-16-folded-horn-kit-pair/

If you like butchering wood woodworking, the options open up exponentially.

e.g.,

9598891997_cb427c3552_c.jpgDSC_5663 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

9601793718_286e8ec09a_b.jpgDSC_6398 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    If you like butchering wood.........

@ALL212 doesn't like to see any wood butchered. He is a xylophile and is related to a tree farm. :D

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    xylophile.
    I gots me a new word to use and to abuse. :D
    Thanks! :)
  • ALL212
    edited October 2021
    I only xylo'd once... and it wasn't my fault. That tree never told me how old it was.

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • maxward
    Now your talkin’ @mhardy6647. I might try a full ranger from either plans or a kit.
  • mhardy6647
    maxward wrote: »
    Now your talkin’ @mhardy6647. I might try a full ranger from either plans or a kit.

They're fun, but not many folks find them thoroughly satisfying.
    On the other hand, what they do well -- they do do well.
    Was that too tautological? :#
  • ALL212
    Another word with more than two syllables? In one day?!!

Tautological…

https://youtu.be/UfOK0evCqZY
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • I built an AkitikA a few months ago. Having all the parts in a single package and great directions really made the project easy and enjoyable.

jdltzorict6c.jpg
    bd02rb8r39yv.jpg

Initially I set the amp up with a pair of Zu Audio Omen speakers because they are easy to drive (12ohm) and sound great. The amp had no problem driving those speakers plenty hard for my tastes and the sound was fantastic.

olo0ckh9xcq0.jpg
    hxknmhperfpu.jpg

My AkitikA is now paired with some R200s in my daughters room. It has plenty of power and produces great sound in this application as well.

It was an easy and rewarding project that was just the right mix of challenge and convenience for me. Highly recommend!

SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • maxward
    Thanks. Looks tidy in there.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • I just picked up the Akitika preamp kit to build over the holidays. I am looking forward to having another project. I added the phono pre but decided to pass on he headphone amp for now. This may shuffle speakers all over he house as aI will want to pull the Akitika amp out of my daughters room to pair the pre/amp combo with my Xu Audio speakers again. I may move my 1C out of the closet into our sitting room (where the Zus are now).

AkitikA PR-102
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200