Contemplating a dCS Paganini stack

Options
I have found what appears to be a great deal on a Paganini DAC, Upsampler and Word Clock. The clock has been updated to have asynchronous USB inputs, and all components are in as-new condition and fully updated by dCS. The question is basically this.... for the price, there are newer DACs out there that have newer tech and capabilities that I have not even looked into yet. They are also in the same price range as the Paganini setup. The dCS however, was the pinnacle of state of the art digital when launched, and remained so until the Bartok took it's place.

What do you digital guys think?
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    No.

What do you mean?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    I mean "No, don't do it."
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    What would suggest?
    What is your reasoning for saying no?

• Clipdat
    Options
    What are you trying to accomplish exactly? I thought in another post you said you were really happy with where your system was at.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    What are you trying to accomplish exactly? I thought in another post you said you were really happy with where your system was at.

We're never happy >:)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    No.

What do you mean?
    I am happy, but if digital is going to be the primary source for me going forward, I want to get everything out of it that I can.

• Clipdat
    Options
    Do I recall in another post you stating you picked up an Aurender or Auralic product? That would probably be a better way forward.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Do I recall in another post you stating you picked up an Aurender or Auralic product? That would probably be a better way forward.

I am not as happy with the Auralic Vega as I thought I would be. The display is terrible for one, and the sonic improvement is not there. The DAC in the Yamaha CD-s2100 sounds as good.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Which Vega, John?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Which Vega, John?

Tom

The original

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Please forgive my ignorance but is that just a DAC?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Please forgive my ignorance but is that just a DAC?

Tom

Yes...

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    edited December 2022
    Options
    but if digital is going to be the primary source for me going forward, I want to get everything out of it that I can.

In a word . . . Lampizator

Reach out to Rob or Fred .... are the North American reps if ya wanna buy new

https://www.lampizator.com/

Refurbished can be had thru the mother company in Poland

https://www.lampizatorpoland.com/
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Clipdat
    Options

I am not as happy with the Auralic Vega as I thought I would be. The display is terrible for one, and the sonic improvement is not there. The DAC in the Yamaha CD-s2100 sounds as good.

Either you got the wrong Vega (I was referring to one of their streaming DACs), and/or you have a bottleneck elsewhere in your system.