Plz describe the difference between RAAL ribbon and Satori BE

Options
GlennDog
GlennDog Posts: 3,095
edited December 2022 in 2 Channel Audio
Whatcha y’all think of these tweets!

I’ve not heard the BE ( I know, sheltered existence)

I realize there aren’t a lot of people who can help, but just in case. Here goes....
I’m toying with the upgrade from Salk HT2-TLs to the “new and improved” BePure 2s

Not the stock BEs, but the ones with the “experimental” PRs . . .so Polk-ish. LOVE IT!

This link is to the stock spkr. AFAIK, no info/specs are available on the one with the PR

https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=BePure+2

This accolade comes from a new passive rad owner

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=183980.0

I’ve got a text into Jim and will prolly visit his shop in a day or 2. The RAAL and Seas combo in the HT2s is great . .,. But there’s an itch-a-need’n-scratch’n

Discuss (how Yiddish of me)
AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
Pre Cary SLP-05
Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
Mains Salk HT2-TL
Rythmik F12
Post edited by GlennDog on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,119
    Options
    I support your purchase of all model variations personally
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Well, I’m down to a dollar 75, not enough for a cup-o-Joe
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • VR3
    Options
    Drew is giving out loans
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GlennDog
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Drew is giving out loans

Not helping . . . Between you, Tom and Drew you could eloquently solve the worlds probs.

Whilst I enjoy the sublime tunes of my newly found Zebras . . . Such Good Sound!

instead of going in a different direction . . . Maybe max out the Xover in the HT2s
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Challenge accepted?
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,633
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Maybe max out the Xover in the HT2s

ATTABOY!

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,101
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Drew is giving out loans

He's from the government, and he's here to help. :|
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 863
    Options
    Everything I’ve read from Jim indicates that he doesn’t see much difference at all between his two tweeter offerings so I don’t think you can go wrong there. I will say the BePure2s have received nothing but positive feedback.

I know the guy who bought the first(I think) pair of BePures built and he absolutely loves them. Told me that he prefers them over all other Salks he owns. And that’s saying something considering he also owns the HT2-TL, BeAT, and SS9.5 that I know of.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 711
    Options
    Must be good tweeters , because I can’t imagine anything being better than the Raal’s in my Salks

Bk
    PS Audio S300 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Salk SuperCharged Songtowers , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Ascend Acoustics ELX Ribbon Towers , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN system

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,363
    Options
    Dig deep and BePure 3!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • GlennDog
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Dig deep and BePure 3!

Wish I could. Above my pay grade and waaaay too big for my cubic footage....

https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=BePure+3

I just found out there’s a BePure 1 monitor in developement which interests me, as I’m kicking around downsizing.

The only Pure model available for audition is the 3. I just might pop in tomorrow for a listen
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    Everything I’ve read from Jim indicates that he doesn’t see much difference at all between his two tweeter offerings so I don’t think you can go wrong there. I will say the BePure2s have received nothing but positive feedback.

I know the guy who bought the first(I think) pair of BePures built and he absolutely loves them. Told me that he prefers them over all other Salks he owns. And that’s saying something considering he also owns the HT2-TL, BeAT, and SS9.5 that I know of.

Appreciate the info . . . Thanks

I love the RAAL ribbon. In addition to the HT2s, I have the matching center and the Supercharged Songsurrounds

I had these sexy beotchs prior. In person, simply stunning

kxxdw967actx.png
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    IIRC I heard the BePure 2 at Axpona in April. Nice speakers, but I'm happy with what I got. I'm pretty much done with big upgrades, so you'll have to lead the charge. :)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,412
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I would not mind getting my ears on a set of those BePure+3's. It's interesting that the mids are open in the back.

The jury is still in (in my mind) as to whether or not the beryllium tweeters are my cup of tea. I love some aspects of them but even in some of the higher end speakers, they tend to get a little bright and overexposed/ overpowering at times, even when not in a heavy passage. They also seem to be very quick in their natural rolloffs.

Could be the upstream gear in many of these cases. It definitely wasn't the source, as I always listened to the same track on all of them (along with others) but the end result seemed to remain consistent within all of them.

The first time I heard one was in Charlotte and at first, I thought I was gonna have to change my speakers to get one with a tweeter like that! Many aspects sounded really, really good but that observation quickly wained, the more I listened. Listening fatigue got me out each time within about 40 minutes or less of listening, even though we were listening to some great music.

If you ever consider that tweeter, go listen....and listen for a while, listening to many songs you are familiar with before you decide to pull the trigger.

Trey has this type of tweeter in his Grande Utopias [EDIT - Correction. He has the Tioxid titanium-dome tweeter] and I wasn't really that big a fan of them (I have told him this, so it's not like he'll be surprised) until he basically reconfigured his entire rig, made many, many upgrades and squeaked out just about every possible ounce of performance out of them. Most people aren't willing to go through that amount of dough and coin to get things to sound like his sound though. That was a lot of work. It paid off for him though.

Mine have the Seas Millennium tweeter but TBT, my preference is the Revalator tweeter.....but there is no way to utilize them in either the Linbrooks or the Woodmere's, unfortunately, because of the crossover points and slopes. The differences are small between the two tweeters but are still yearned for 'till today.

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Options
    Mine are coated titanium, not beryllium

Back to your regularly scheduled program
  • treitz3
    Options
    Awe dang. Tioxid titanium-dome tweeter....my bad, I thought it was the beryllium. Thanks for the correction. That may explain why I didn't get listening fatigue with your speakers (unless you played it at rattle your brain, INSANE levels :) )

They do share many of the same traits though, with what I observed....(when you first got them).

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SCompRacer
    edited December 2022
    Options
    The SS8 and SS9.5 have open back mids. He supplied both open and closed plates covered with grille cloth. You could remove some stuffing with open plates if desired, tune to your preference. Sometimes I like them open, currently they are closed.
  • VR3
    Options
    The Tioxid titanium focal dome was literally used by every high end speaker manufacture almost for like a decade... So metal domes can and do sound incredible when paired with proper motor structures and baffle designs.

My understanding with Berylium is there is alot of misuse of the term and what quantifies Berylium and thickness of the dome, all of which are very important.

The Focal Berylium tweeter, which msrp is like 2500 dollars each is pure be and is like half the thickness of tissue paper, if you drop the old titanium dome and their Be dome from shoulder height the be dome falls to the floor like a feather.

This is relievant because alot of companies touting Berylium domes are either using a top coating, an alloy and the thickness of the dome is usually much thicker.

Not taking away, just that alot of speakers use Berylium domes now and alot of what made the idea unique and beneficial has been lost in the marketing push.

Not to sound like a focal fan boy, I have yet to hear a focal beryllium speaker I liked... Very bright and fatiguing to me! I imagine you would have to build the whole system around it for sure.
  • treitz3
    Options
    The Focal was the first time I heard one (Beryllium tweeter) in Charlotte. I don't remember the name/model of the speaker but IIRC, they were at Tweeter's building before they became Tweeter. Can't recall the name of the joint back then....but....who really cares about that?

The Focal's were about chest height and *maybe* a foot and a half wide? Either 2 or 3 sections (I'm thinking two). Man, that was a long time ago. Jeez, that was so long ago? I remember it was about the time I discovered what an SACD was...Damn, Trey. We are getting old!

(Me, more so than you) Aye Karumba!

Tom

• VR3
    Options