13»

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,095
    edited November 2022
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I will tell you a very under rated 12au7/12au7a is the Westinghouse black ladder plater 12au7. Very good sonics, good bass and midrange and highs that are very good. i have many pairs.

The problem is you need to know the plate color (shade) and construction as there can be many tubes with a Westinghouse label that are not the tube described above. And many tubes with other labels that are the above tube.

Hint: Many of the earlier tubes made for use in organ amplifiers are a good source for the Westinghouse manufactured tube. A plus is all organ tubes are screened for ultra low noise. Westinghouse only manufactured their own tubes for a short time early on. Definitely a sleeper and a mostly unknown tube.

337 is the manufacture code for Westinghouse. Sometimes this is silk screened on the actual tube, usually in Yellow, but I've seen Orange as well. Look at Conn organ tubes, but you have to look for clues which I've provided the link for. The 3 gray dots are a big key that it is a genuine Westinghouse tube.

https://tubemaze.info/westinghouse-12au7-carbon-plates/

I’d love to roll the Westinghouse black ladder 12au7 into my Backert pre

Let the hunt begin!

ps both of your comments/input is much appreciated
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,094
    edited November 2022
    Options
    All my ECC82 short ladder chrome plate tubes with double post halo getter's have Siemens-Halske tube codes etched in the glass. I just don't see incorrect etched codes being something that was common. I don't really see any known Mazda manufactured tubes that have similar construction. All the well known tube guru sellers pretty much list it as a Siemens made tube.

But, we can never know 100% for sure. I don't really use them as they seem a bit too bright for me, but I may roll them again to revisit my impressions....lol. I don't currently use any of the Mazda tubes either, but I haven't really given them a proper evaluation.

H9

I will double check, I seen nothing etched into the glass on first or second pass. I'll be honest, I've not been able to use them yet and I bought them because they were a cool plate I didn't have. Whoever made them I in the grand scheme of things I'm not losing sleep over. It's always nice to know for sure. It's part of the chase😄

These do not have a double post I'm aware of.

The last picture you posted above show the 1st and 3rd tube with double posts. I just looked at my quad and they are all Gf0 or Gf1, 1st line build code; 1961 and 1962, 2nd line of code is the = with the \ through it. Can't recall ever seeing a single post Siemens manufactured silver plate ECC82. But who knows.

I am a completest and had to have these to try. I may roll them again soon. I need to revisit the Mazda tubes I have too, both ECC82 and ECC83. Some of the prices for the Mazda tubes I have are insane. $300-500/pr.

H9

P.s. My go to for good pics of many, many tubes was Tubemonger Library. It appears that site is defunct. I used that a lot for visual references. His info was pretty solid too.

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    I will tell you a very under rated 12au7/12au7a is the Westinghouse black ladder plater 12au7. Very good sonics, good bass and midrange and highs that are very good. i have many pairs.

The problem is you need to know the plate color (shade) and construction as there can be many tubes with a Westinghouse label that are not the tube described above. And many tubes with other labels that are the above tube.

Hint: Many of the earlier tubes made for use in organ amplifiers are a good source for the Westinghouse manufactured tube. A plus is all organ tubes are screened for ultra low noise. Westinghouse only manufactured their own tubes for a short time early on. Definitely a sleeper and a mostly unknown tube.

337 is the manufacture code for Westinghouse. Sometimes this is silk screened on the actual tube, usually in Yellow, but I've seen Orange as well. Look at Conn organ tubes, but you have to look for clues which I've provided the link for. The 3 gray dots are a big key that it is a genuine Westinghouse tube.

Let the hunt begin!

I sold all my extra's over the years. At 1 time I had 8 pairs...lol. I don't think they are very expensive if you do make a purchase and they turn out they aren't the ones. I have done that numerous times, taking a chance based on the photo's only to get the tube and realize it's not the "one" I was hunting. Many more times than not I was able to spot the sleepers and purchase for cheap.

Just follow this as far as what to look for and what questions to ask the seller and what to visually look for in photo's. I was on Ebay over the weekend and did spot some. If I get a chance I may look again. Because these can have various labels, the best way to search is just use 12au7. And start scrolling and looking at photos. https://tubemaze.info/westinghouse-12au7-carbon-plates/

It's tedious and rewarding all at the same time. I used to spend hours upon hours just looking at tube listings trying to spot a diamond in the rough. It worked because I found many rare, desirable tubes that way. You could search Westinghouse 12au7, but you'll miss 70% of the specific tube you are hunting. It's kind of like being an archeologist at a dig site.

Good luck and if I have some free time, I will take a look to see if I can point in the right direction.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Thanks Brock . . . much appreciated!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,640
    Options
    All my ECC82 short ladder chrome plate tubes with double post halo getter's have Siemens-Halske tube codes etched in the glass. I just don't see incorrect etched codes being something that was common. I don't really see any known Mazda manufactured tubes that have similar construction. All the well known tube guru sellers pretty much list it as a Siemens made tube.

But, we can never know 100% for sure. I don't really use them as they seem a bit too bright for me, but I may roll them again to revisit my impressions....lol. I don't currently use any of the Mazda tubes either, but I haven't really given them a proper evaluation.

H9

I will double check, I seen nothing etched into the glass on first or second pass. I'll be honest, I've not been able to use them yet and I bought them because they were a cool plate I didn't have. Whoever made them I in the grand scheme of things I'm not losing sleep over. It's always nice to know for sure. It's part of the chase😄

These do not have a double post I'm aware of.

The last picture you posted above show the 1st and 3rd tube with double posts. I just looked at my quad and they are all Gf0 or Gf1, 1st line build code; 1961 and 1962, 2nd line of code is the = with the \ through it. Can't recall ever seeing a single post Siemens manufactured silver plate ECC82. But who knows.

I am a completest and had to have these to try. I may roll them again soon. I need to revisit the Mazda tubes I have too, both ECC82 and ECC83. Some of the prices for the Mazda tubes I have are insane. $300-500/pr.

H9

P.s. My go to for good pics of many, many tubes was Tubemonger Library. It appears that site is defunct. I used that a lot for visual references. His info was pretty solid too.

Those were not my tubes. I used to use tubemonger as well. Been gone awhile now.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »

Let the hunt begin!

Look for organ tubes as well. They were screened a little extra. I've seen Westinghouse, Amperex, Raytheon, RCA and Sylvania used.
    Right now the last couple of years the RCA cleartop has been in the market a ton. Lots really like them. They will not last forever.
    Baldwin seemed to favor both Raytheon and Sylvania

Hammond seem to favor Amperex

Conn seemed to favor RCA and Westinghouse.

I'm not saying any of them were exclusive to a brand, just something I noticed.

Most of my Amperex 12ax7 tubes say Hammond FWIW

• GlennDog
    Options

In the past, I’ve purchased several toobs from “the mad rooskie” . . . Actually, Koray is a stand up dude

Watcha all think about these at a buck twenty each

https://www.nostubestore.com/

1qu3ua6790o2.png
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • heiney9
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I haven't tracked tube prices in years. He always seems to get good stuff and he's honest about grading and new and used, etc.

If at all possible I think the earlier 60's tubes are slightly better than the 70's tubes. Small halo, short plate Holland tubes are always solid. Many of the NOS Mullards that people are selling these days are from the 70's and they just lack a bit of the magic of the earlier tubes. IMO, same goes for Holland tubes, Tele tubes and American tubes like the Philips ECG blue label tubes. Amperex labeled tubes w the Orange Globe which were 70's production. Richardson Electronics bought tube making gear from overseas manufacturing plants and produced the Orange Globe Amperex tubes. They weren't (aren't) the same as the older tubes.

We all know the story of the remade "Telefunkens", by Ei at the NIS (Serbia) plant using old TFK equipment. I know some here like them, but they pale in comparison to originals and 50's and 60's old stock tubes.

I don't know if some of the materials and processes changed slightly or maybe attention to detail when manufacturing plays a roll. But I don't care for any of the major label 70's manufactured small signal tubes. They miss the mark compared to their earlier brethren.

Buying from a dealer like Koray gives a great amount of confidence in the product, that costs $$$. I wouldn't pay ...........but I like to hunt for bargains, mostly. I have paid up for tubes, but not all the time.

H9
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    yy80xvrnso7c.jpg

these are being offered locally for 300.00 for the lot. any takers?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    A lot of useless non audio tubes to my eyes.