Cassette Player and Turntable Cartridge

Options
cambir
cambir Posts: 1,045
edited October 2022 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Anyone have a decent cassette player sitting around? My Sony ES just stopped working.

Also looking for a turntable cartridge. I don't know much about what I need, but my son has taken an interest. I think it's p-mount (Technics SL-D202)? What should I get, and what do people have available new or slightly used?

omsufzwf8pt6.jpg

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    I have a few cassette decks available.

One is a Pioneer CT-W604RS:
    eicgad5xfpnw.jpg

Another is a Tascam 112R (still testing it):
    pck3boi3dene.jpg

I have a JVC as well (no pics yet), and another few in storage.

It looks like your turntable uses standard 1/2" mount cartridges. Is there anything wrong with those two you have?

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • cambir
    Options
    Might be interested in that Pioneer. Everything works? How much?

Not sure of the age/condition of the 2 I have, so figured maybe I get a new one since my son has bought a couple new records. Is "standard 1/2" different than "p-mount"? (Like I said, I don't really know much in this area...)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    At the very least with the Pioneer dual tape deck, you should be able to keep at least 1 side running.
    Had that deck many moons ago.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Yep, everything works. It's from my dad's collection, likely purchased from a thrift store 20+ years ago. I tested it for both playback and recording, and it works as it should. This model does not have the typical FFW and REW buttons, but instead, uses MS (Music Search) buttons to move between songs. Also, the recording function (by design) only works on the right-hand (Deck II) side. Again, this is by design, and mentioned in the owner's manual.

Cosmetically, there are a few dings on the top cover. Checkout the yellow circles and the red arrow in this pic.

whblda3lupa7.jpg

Here are pics from under the cover, including pics of the belts from both transports.

xnesq8qwqvin.jpg
    2g08kv0kgnay.jpg
    0auwy1w5vtix.jpg

I can do $50 plus shipping on it. PM me if you'd like to move forward. I am leaving for vacation tomorrow, so wouldn't be able to ship it until the following week.

Regarding the cartridges, P-mount carts normally plug into a socket of some sort, whereas the standard 1/2" carts have two holes (1/2" apart) that allow them to be mounted under a headshell...like the ones you have. Cartridges don't really wear-out...only the stylus does. Moving magnet carts have replaceable styluses that can be purchased separately, so you don't really have to buy a new cartridge. The Grado cart looks like a Prestige Green, but I can't quite tell what the other one is.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    What model Sony do you have and what's it not doing?
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »

Regarding the cartridges, P-mount carts normally plug into a socket of some sort, whereas the standard 1/2" carts have two holes (1/2" apart) that allow them to be mounted under a headshell...like the ones you have. Cartridges don't really wear-out...only the stylus does. Moving magnet carts have replaceable styluses that can be purchased separately, so you don't really have to buy a new cartridge. The Grado cart looks like a Prestige Green, but I can't quite tell what the other one is.

+1 to what jdjohn said. A visual aid of the difference.

ydld35ayfry3.png

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • cambir
    Options
    What model Sony do you have and what's it not doing?

TC-KA1ESA and it won't play, rew, ff. Guessing it needs a belt and a full service and cleaning.
  • cambir
    Options
    Other cartridge is a Precept?

So I just need to find a new stylus, probably for the Grado, and that's an easy replacement? Does it matter what stylus?

jcezeihm8tmp.jpg
    oc3zj3f6autv.jpg
    05r0cgk83ce1.jpg
    20dqy12d6hug.jpg
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Grado styli are super easy to swap out. Before doing that though I'd take it out and clean the contacts between the stylus housing and the cartridge. They can get corroded over time. Then get you a hand lens to inspect the diamond's condition. It may simply need a good cleaning.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • jdjohn
    Options
    cambir, do you have any idea on the number of hours put on those cartridges/styli? They may be fine.

I think audioluvr has had more luck than me with replacing Grado styli. I've broken at least two that I can remember. There is a special tool that makes it easier. Regarding the contacts inside, be careful not to strip the damping grease they use. It is rather nasty stuff, that looks like it might not belong in there, but it's actually part of the design to have it in place.

Precept was a higher-end line of Audio Technica, and frankly, the sound difference between Grado and AT is rather stark, but it just comes down to personal preference. Grado is warmer with rolled-off highs, and AT is brighter with more high-end detail. Neither is bad...just different.

I would recommend a cheap jeweler's loupe for inspecting the styli for cleanliness. A combo 30X/60X is good for that.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    That Sony cassette deck uses Sony's TCM190 transport which has some good points, the belts and pinch rollers are fairly easy to replace if needed. However there is one big flaw: there is a toothed plastic belt which is used to drive the gears that control transport switching between fast forward and play. The plastic used in this belt becomes, over time, brittle and breaks. The only way to repair it is to find a working deck and swap parts, but chances are good it will eventually have problems. The real heyday for Sony's ES series decks are the 70's and 80's models, by the 90's Sony was penny pinching and unfortunately going to simpler, less robust designs.
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    If those cartridges turn out to be bad, I'd recommend the newest Audio Techica line of VM cartridges. He can start out with this little conical stylus here which is very easy to set up. If he decides he likes vinyl and wants to upgrade, he'll be able to do so with this cartridge. I bought the AT95VMe for a really good price and upgraded the stylus to the ML which is probably the best one in the lineup, even over the Shibata IMO. But I digress, this would be a very good choice for someone's who just getting into records.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-VM95C-Moving-Turntable-Cartridge/dp/B07JL2RTBX/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2AL9EEX0OAKM8&keywords=at3600l+cartridge&qid=1666055676&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjg2IiwicXNhIjoiMi45MiIsInFzcCI6IjIuNjAifQ==&sprefix=at3600l,aps,432&sr=8-9
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    I have several cassette decks that I could part with. A couple Denon 3-head (DRM-700A and DR-M30HX), Denon DRR-780 tray loader and a Pioneer CT-6R.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • cambir
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I really don't know the number of hours on either, as both came with the TT when I got it a few years back. I'll look at the cleaning options and decide from there I guess.
  • cambir
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    I have several cassette decks that I could part with. A couple Denon 3-head (DRM-700A and DR-M30HX), Denon DRR-780 tray loader and a Pioneer CT-6R.

I'd be interested. Is one of these better than the others? Any of them better than the Pioneer jdjohn posted? Just looking for something decent, that won't eat tapes, and will last a little while. Maybe one of the Denons?
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    Sorry I didn't see this until now. The Denon DRM-700A and the DR-M30HX would be the best of the bunch. I'd consider them about equal. The 700A is a newer model than the 30HX. I did install new belts in the 30HX. Both sound very nice. For what specs are worth...

DRM-700A Specs:
    Specifications
    Type: 3-head, single compact cassette deck
    Heads: 1 x combination record/playback, 1 x erase
    Motor: 1 x capstan, 1 x reel, 1 x actuator
    Tape Type: type I, CrO2, Metal
    Noise Reduction: B, C
    Headroom Extension: HX Pro
    Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz (Metal tape)
    Signal to Noise Ratio: 74dB (dolby C)
    Wow and Flutter: 0.045%
    Input: 80mV (line)
    Output: 0.62V (line)
    Dimensions: 434 x 135 x 303mm
    Weight: 5kg
    Year: 1991
    https://www.cassettedeck.org/denon/drm-700a

DR-M30HX Specs:
    Type: 3-head, single compact cassette deck
    Heads: 1 x combination record/playback, 1 x erase
    Motor: 1 x capstan, 1 x reel
    Tape Type: type I, CrO2, Metal
    Noise Reduction: B, C
    Headroom Extension: HX Pro
    Frequency Response: 25Hz to 19kHz (Metal tape)
    Signal to Noise Ratio: 75dB (dolby C)
    Wow and Flutter: 0.045%
    Total Harmonic Distortion: 3%
    Input: 100mV (line)
    Output: 0.775V (line)
    Dimensions: 434 x 115 x 286mm
    Weight: 5.6kg
    Year: 1986
    https://www.cassettedeck.org/denon/dr-m30hx
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601