Birding "For the Birds"

2»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,595
    or even as big as two turkeys -- or is that two turkae?

;)
  • I had this one at my feeder 12 years ago. Must've been a captive release because they aren't found on this continent.

28aw3lhsysrq.png
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,276
    What kind of finch is it?

That female house Finch on bottom, we have been getting more and more of them in central Illinois. I let them nest around the house. the last several years they have nested in the same place really cool birds. They will raise several broods a year and it seems to me that the older siblings come back for the last brood near fall and they all fly off together with Mom and Dad. Last summer the parents hadn't been back in several days and it was scorching hot for several days. the young'in were parched. I used my hose the mist them and they we HAPPY! They got up in the top of the nest to take it all in.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    What kind of finch is it?

That female house Finch on bottom, we have been getting more and more of them in central Illinois. I let them nest around the house. the last several years they have nested in the same place really cool birds. They will raise several broods a year and it seems to me that the older siblings come back for the last brood near fall and they all fly off together with Mom and Dad. Last summer the parents hadn't been back in several days and it was scorching hot for several days. the young'in were parched. I used my hose the mist them and they we HAPPY! They got up in the top of the nest to take it all in.

It is a European Goldfinch. I emailed an ornithologist about it and she replied that she hates to take the wind out of my sails but it isn't all that rare of a sighting. She said that the theory is that a bird smuggler(s) may have released them to avoid paying a fine and that there was "no evidence" of a breeding population here.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • mhardy6647
    Unlike, say, European Starlings, or House ("English") Sparrows or any of a number of other species brought to the US by... well... I suppose "well intentioned" folks. :#

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Schieffelin
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,129
    Use Black oil seeds and you'll attract all kinds of birds and woodpeckers too. Keep some Suet close by the feeder/s too.

The birds around here hate the birdseed mixture blend. Most of the millet would end up on the ground. Woodpeckers and Blue Jays would spray the millet 2' from the feeders like they were mad it was in there. :D All the birds eat up the Black oil seeds kind-of quickly but at least they're eating them. ;)

Oh, it's almost like peanut butter and jelly to have a Bird Bath near the feeders but not right up under them. Birds will nest in boxes on your property if they know the water source is a steady fresh supply.

I think birds like to drink after eating. The birds also like to wash up quite often. We're putting water in our Bird Bath every day or two because there are so many birds and squirrels drinking and bathing. The squirrels don't bathe but they sure do drink a lot of water.

Keep the water fresh in the bath too. Mosquitoes love to lay larvae in it constantly throughout the summer months. Our birdbath isn't very far from a hose station so it's easy to spray the dirty or swimming larvae-tainted water out and then re-fill it with fresh in a few minutes.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    Black oil is indeed probably the single best seed to feed most birds.
    It does attract bearsies, though. They can, it is said, smell it from a mile or more away -- and they like it.
    If one have bearsies in the 'hood, it is something to consider.

14392803805_1a96437ae2_b.jpg

If one wants to minimize feeding trash birds (pigeons, starlings, house sparrows, cowbirds, etc.), a good strategy is to dedicate a feeder (e.g., a platform feeder) to safflower seed. Most birds and other rapacious critters won't eat it, but cardinals and grosbeaks will gladly eat it (although it can take a while to 'train't them).
    We use a mixture of black oil sunflower, safflower, and striped sunflower in our platform feeders.
    We use hulled sunflower seeds (or chips) in the tube feeders.

FWIW.
  • Tony M
    Good ideas there Doc.

I might try mixing in those other seeding ingredients you mentioned just to surprise the birds with some treats of a different kind. :p
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,833
    `The first pair of Painted Buntings showed up.....the female is without a doubt a sight to see...male quite colorful but the green shades on the female are beautiful
  • It has been a while since I put the feeder up. It used to make quite a mess when I had it up all year round but was fun though expensive. Then for a while I only put it up when there was snow coming.

I had a pair of Rose Breasted Grosbeaks once but they came and left without eating, which means they must have been there before without my knowing. I didn't get a picture off unfortunately.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2022
    52081497155_36a036f8f8_b.jpg

three male rosebreasted grosbeaks and a pair of cardinals (May 2022)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
    Don't birds already get enough handouts as it is?

Do we really need to be supplying them with houses, premium seed, and freshwater baths too? Sheesh. I mean geez Louise, enough is enough already.
  • mhardy6647
    Clipdat wrote: »

Do we really need to be supplying them with houses, premium seed, and freshwater baths too? Sheesh. I mean geez Louise, enough is enough already.

You wanna tell them that?
    Ever see The Birds?
    Just sayin'...

:#

pamzz5uskhn2.png

ahry2d5478qh.gif

• Tony M
    Clipdat wrote: »

What hand outs do you speak of? McDonald's fries?
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,599
    Cardinals. Tons of them. They have taken over.
    I see others, but the cardinals are pretty territorial.
    Hummingbirds are in the wife's flower beds in summer.
    I hear woodpeckers back in the woods most mornings,
    and see hawks circling. My cat sits in the window and
    makes faces. Birdwatching is his hobby, not mine.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Cardinals. Tons of them. They have taken over.
    I see others, but the cardinals are pretty territorial.
    Hummingbirds are in the wife's flower beds in summer.
    I hear woodpeckers back in the woods most mornings,
    and see hawks circling. My cat sits in the window and
    makes faces. Birdwatching is his hobby, not mine.

This is -- and I am not being facetious -- beautifully poetic.

Yes, cardinals are pretty feisty little critters.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,599
    Who knew cardinals were tougher than blue jays?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,232
    Deer blind pics out by Del Rio TX

Hawk pics are taken at about 90 yards
    Dove pics about 35 yards

pair of hawks ...I see these guys every year
    a72meuro731b.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    s91qordsi530.jpg
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    5uimlc16sz95.jpg

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,276
    What kind of hawk is that?
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2022
    I don't know :p I will ask Mrs. H.
    Harris's Hawk, maybe?

Mrs. H says "Harris's Hawk" B)
    She kept saying "those red shoulders". ;) This is funny to me, because here we have a species called...umm... red-shouldered hawk. :p

52433858493_304bed36d2_b.jpg
    that's a red-shouldered hawk on the lower right in this photo of two hawks checking out our cafeteria -- umm, I mean, birdfeeders ;) a couple of weeks ago.

I also don't know what flavor of doves those are -- but my birding experience in the south/southwest is approximately nil. Not the case for Mrs. H, though. ;)
  • txcoastal1
    Add these to list when consulting Mrs H
    SWAINSON’S HAWK
    RED-SHOULDERED HAWK

All can slightly vary due to age and terrain

• mhardy6647
    edited November 2022
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Add these to list when consulting Mrs H
    SWAINSON’S HAWK
    RED-SHOULDERED HAWK

All can slightly vary due to age and terrain

I know, right? Danged hawks can be really (really) difficult to identify.
    As you said: regional differences and age, indeed. :#

At least here, the red-shouldered hawks are really easy to ID if they're on the wing -- they have light colored (whitish) arcs out near the primaries on their wings.
    We see 'em all the time here -- but do I have a good photo to illustrated it? Negatory. :#

I have bad photos. :blush:
    ... here's a particularly bad photo of two of 'em, both on the wing and both doing an excellent job of not displaying the tops of their wings. ;)

51860349124_f073a31dd4_b.jpg