I completely changed my mind about the Polk RTA 15TL. They're not very good.

Options

Comments

• skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    Options
    That Denon receiver is neither of those two,
    Powerful or high-end.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,374
    Options
    Hello, @bcwsrt and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the Polk forum.

The OP can learn from you... ;)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    I have a Denon AVR-985 I use in my TV room. It works for making sound come out of the speakers. I used to enjoy watching concerts on PBS etc. When I had my B&K AVR-507 but now not so much. I need to upgrade but no funds right now.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,476
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I have a Denon AVR-985 I use in my TV room. It works for making sound come out of the speakers. I used to enjoy watching concerts on PBS etc. When I had my B&K AVR-507 but now not so much. I need to upgrade but no funds right now.

What about the extra income from that serial killer you were renting the barn to?
    I disabled signatures.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I played with a few Denon receivers and my RTA-11TL's. A 2ch DRA-825R was ok but it was night and day when I upgraded to a DRA-835R. They have basically the same wattage rating but the DRA-835R drives more current and is more of a dual-mono design. Imaging improved but mostly the bass was much better controlled. I tried a Denon AVR-888 and it sounded like ****. Presently they are servicn HT duty and my Marantz SR-7010 drives them nicely and sounds pretty sweet. The best was my Parasound HCA-1000A, which is now driving my LSi15's. A clean, high current amp will serve to clean up the bass.

The RTA-15TL with the rear firing PR is more finicky about placement than the RTA-11TL. I have placement issues with the LSi15. Too close to the walls and they get boomy and muddy. Depending on placement, you can love them or hate them.

Fix these issues first before you decide on ditching the RTA-15TL. If that is not possible then you probably should look for a more forgiving speaker.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    15TL wrote: »

I paid $200 for them used like new.

If you're anywhere near Denver I'll give you $200 for them and it won't be a failed experiment anymore.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hello, @bcwsrt and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the Polk forum.

Tom

Thank you, Tom, for the kind words. Much appreciated. However, it seems the OP is unfortunately having a hard time learning from the OGs here, so it is unlikely I will have any success either. 🤷‍♂️
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 602
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »

Tom

Thank you, Tom, for the kind words. Much appreciated. However, it seems the OP is unfortunately having a hard time learning from the OGs here, so it is unlikely I will have any success either. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry but I must correct you. Yes, there are some old guys here but OG's, never.
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »

Tom

Sorry but I must correct you. Yes, there are some old guys here but OG's, never.

Well, I believe I know where you are coming from, but at the same time, I believe you know where I was, too! 😝👍
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited November 2022
    Options

Tom

It's a turn of phrase dude.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,116
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

Tom

It's a turn of phrase dude.

He's a Raiders fan... can't expect much in the way of intelligent thought out of him.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,374
    Options
    Either listen to the folks that are coaching you in the right direction or stop bashing something you obviously do not know anything about. It's unbecoming and a waste of our time.

You obviously have much to learn.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,116
    Options

Tom

You guys are also desperate to fit in. Starving for acceptance, maybe I'll go buy a record player so I can be one of you.

Here is a vast selection for someone of your experience...

https://www.etsy.com/market/fisher_price_turntables

Come back when you grow up.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,610
    Options
    Stop feeding the troll.
    Unless we all agree to his narcissistic values he's not here to do anything but argue with anything that we have to say.
    According to him:
    All of us here are hipsters
    All of us here listen to vinyl
    All of us here are desperate to fit in
    Polk makes poorly designed speakers

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    Options

Denon AVR-3808ci
    Front:
    130 W + 130 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz ~ 20 kHz with 0.05 % T.H.D.)
    160 W + 160 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)
    Denon specifies 6 to 16 ohm speaker for 2ch
    8 to 16 ohms for surround.

My 2Ch Denon receivers were close in rated power.
    DRA-825R was 90W into 8 ohms
    DRA-835R is 100W into 8 ohms

The 10W is negligible but the DRA-835R can drive more current and likely has a better damping factor than the 825R. It was basically Denon's near top of the line integrated amp with a tuner added. This resulted in a big improvement in sound with my RTA-11TL. Now I wouldn't bother trying to drive my LSi15 with either Denon receiver. They are power hungry and their dynamic impedance drops way too low.

While the RTA's are rated 8 ohm "compatible", their dynamic impedance over the frequency range may dip much lower.

For many years I thought my DRA-825R was awesome. Many folks told me I could do much better. I didn't listen until I tried. I am the same way about things like cables and power conditioners and other stuff too. I try sometime and I learn. There is much to this stuff.

Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • skipshot12
    Options

Tom

You guys are also desperate to fit in. Starving for acceptance, maybe I'll go buy a record player so I can be one of you.

Wow, is this person 12 years old?

Nothing constructive here…
    Me thinks it’s time to get to steppin, move on dude.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,480
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Stop feeding the troll.
    Unless we all agree to his narcissistic values he's not here to do anything but argue with anything that we have to say.
    According to him:

Yep, we get one of these every year.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • skipshot12
    Options
    I don’t know what a troll is and I don’t get it.
  • bcwsrt
    Options

I bought them for $50 so I probably would if we were close.

Well, there is something obviously wrong here. Lol

Brian

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,286
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    invalid wrote: »
    I can't believe you think that avr has enough power to make them sound good, that's the reason the bass doesn't sound right.

My thoughts exactly. The power of the Denon while looks good on paper, mixed with old crossover components, won't deliver the goods

It's not the watts, but the amps...amps as in current

It has more than enough power. Maybe crossovers are contributing but it is not lack of power. I think they are just old poorly designed speakers.

You really don't know much do you, I can use a 50 watt krell amp that would drive them way better than that Denon you are using.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited November 2022
    Options

I told you I doubt anything he says 😂 He's just trolling. I bet he's got pencil arms.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    Options
    I am guessing this cat has been here before under a different name, and has trolled here before, more than likely he was banned from here.

Why else would one come in here and troll the place over some 15tl’s?

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,610
    Options

You'll fit right in here!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    Options
    We all know what this picture says..

00j1ih8jywqb.jpeg

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,476
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Stop feeding the troll.
    According to him:
    You forgot to add that Monitor 70 Series II cost $600 and beat the 15TLs.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Nex
    Nex Posts: 36
    Options
    Well, I'm not going to tell you what you are supposed to like.