Yamaha CD-s2100 problems...

Options
I am having some concerning issues with my Yamaha CD-s2100 SACD Player. I purchased it in mid-June from a former member here, but through USAudioMart. The price was more than fair, and a deal as struck. It was delivered in as-promised condition. It took me three weeks to finally get it connected, but for some reason, I could not get it to play on the RCA jacks. I assumed I was doing something wrong as it relates to connecting it to my Arcam.

I reached out to the seller, and he was agreeable to my returning it at that point, but I assumed again, that the issue was on my end. I went ahead and connected my computer audio to the DAC of the Yamaha and was impressed, but after a short time, a noise similar to static and crackling appeared on both channels. I contacted Yamaha and they referred me to a third party for repair.

Turns out that the player needed a new power supply board, to the tune of nearly 500 dollars. I went ahead and fixed it. Today it came home with the same static /crackling issues but at least the RCA connections now work. It looks like another 500 plus will be needed to fix it completely.

I don't have a clue what to do now. It has been 4 months in my possession, and I am screwed.... :s
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    They've been known to be problematic. Fix it and sell it quick.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I mean it has been four months....

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I mean it has been four months....
    Yep, I get that. This is the first time I’ve ever gotten torched buying used gear, and I have taken some pretty extreme risks to get to the level I was at. I guess I should be thankful that it is what it is. I’m going to contact Yamaha in the morning and find out what else they can advise at this point. It’s no longer under warranty, so I wonder if they would be willing to sell me the DSP board because I believe that’s where the problem is.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    After a call to Yamaha, it appears the troubles lie on the input/dsp board as I speculated originally. Those boards are a long way from being available to repair this thing, and may never be available again from what I have been led to believe. They are having me take the unit to a repair shop that happens to be directly across the street from them. The guy I spoke to said he may be able to get the board over to a rework shop they have on-site.

Hopefully I won't need to buy another player, but time will tell. Next time I am buying new...

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    In this case new wouldn't matter as that model has been known to be problematic for awhile.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    I learned of their troubles only after buying this one, and did so the hard way. Sad too, because it is a great looking and sounding player. Mine is an early build, and they do still make them, so I am hopeful the new parts going in are better than the old ones.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I'm with Jesse, fix and sell
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Toss that **** like a hot potato and move on bro'....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Just to follow up with an update.... I just picked up the Yamaha from Repair. They could not find a problem with it so it was back to square one. I once again went through all of my troubleshooting, only to find that the Acram AVR20’s analog input section was the cause of my troubles. Best Buy swapped it out, no questions asked. I am thinking that when I had a resistor pop on my tube amp that it somehow damaged something inside the Arcam.

It has been a couple of months since things have sounded as they should in my set up, but now that all the bugs have been worked out I am finally back to normal.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Well I could've told you it was the Arcam!