SDA SRS 2.3 vs. SDA 1C

Options
Hi All

I recently picked up a pair of RT55i speakers. The crossovers were overheated and causing noticeable distortion, so I purchased a very good condition pair of used ones for 20$. I love them now, but I found a guy who has multiple sets of Polks for sale at extremely reasonable prices. He has the 1.2, not for sale, but he is selling the SDA 1C and SRS 2.3 non tl.

I have a small room. I am pretty happy with the 55i I have, but at the price he is selling, I would be tempted to upgrade. I have been planning to do a xo upgrade on the 55i, but that might change if I purchase a new set. My room is small, 10x10. I would definitely have trouble placing the 2.3. Would it be worth it to get the 2.3 over the 1C in such a small room? How significant of an upgrade, in general, is the SRS 2.3 vs the 1C?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    Normally I'd say 2.3. since the environment is what it is 1c. If you however are going to be upgrading to a bigger home I'd go 2.3.......

Hell who am I fooling? Buy both!
    😁
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    SDA speakers need at a minimum a 15 foot wall. Bottom line, your room is too small for any SDA speaker.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• phillip559
    Options
    Hmm, I definitely won't buy both at the moment lol... wife would never buy it. I might buy the 1c because the price is pretty awesome as is, but he posted it OBO... so I probably have to buy them!
  • phillip559
    Options
    Just an update, I bought the 1C as I cannot justify buying the 2.3s at the moment. Wife agreed we could keep them in our main living room, which is pretty large. Open space living room and kitchen.

Keeping the RT55i for my room as they fill it wonderfully. The imaging and soundstage is surprisingly good for what I have to work with in my small room, and I am surprised at how much I love the sound. Both speakers have good bass, nice sounding mids, and pretty mild highs. The pair of Infinity speakers I had prior were too bright and tinny sounding.

Now, to start all the mods! Thank you for all the help and direction as I start this journey.
  • phillip559
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Normally I'd say 2.3. since the environment is what it is 1c. If you however are going to be upgrading to a bigger home I'd go 2.3.......

😁

😁

Sorry for multi-post, if that is frowned upon? I looked around for the rules and didn't see anything against it.

Anywho, bought the 1C for $160. 3/4 side panels need to be redone. He included the cloth and board to do so. They are in good condition.

I DID end up, somehow, convince the wife to let me buy the 2.3. I paid $400, and they are in pretty awesome condition. They are now in my living room, and the 1C are currently in my garage. My RT55i have nice solid custom stands, and they are perfect in my room. I told my wife no more new speakers, BUT I have to upgrade the current ones lol

Let the journey begin!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    Now you're talking!! :D
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Now you're talking!! :D

Enabler!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus