So, I called for heating oil yesterday.............

Options
We only use oil as a back up (thankfully!) to our wood fired boiler. Went to see how much oil was in our tanks and the gauge showed we were about empty. This seemed strange to me as I try not to ever get that low, but I called Monday for a minimal delivery of 125 gallons. Lady says it's $5.25/gallon...to which I almost dropped the phone. I needed it so I placed the order and she told me she cannot guarantee the price will be the same on day of delivery. Called a couple other places and their [rices were closer to $6!

Delivery was made today with 2 surprises...apparently my gauge is faulty because they could only put 40 gallons in, whew!! Surprise #2, cost went up .50 overnight to $5.75/gallon....wtf!! Our winter is predicted to be colder than average, I wonder if I can make some $$ by selling a few of my sweaters :)

I'll need to keep an eye on my stacks of firewood, they are almost worth their weight in gold right now.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,163
    Options
    I mean it's obvious you need a heat pump...

😜
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,456
    Options
    Ouch!
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,181
    Options
    solar plus high efficiency heat pumps = free heating and cooling! :#
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,993
    Options
    LP is way more than double, actually approaching triple what it was before Jan 2020. I don’t know how people can get by sometimes, especially the elderly or those on fixed incomes.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,591
    Options
    I've been stocking up on horses.
    o8vay274ld6m.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    There’s only one reason heating oil should be the same price as over the road diesel - price gouging. Normal times, it’s substantially less than diesel. We ain’t living in normal times.

That reminds me… I’ve got to order propane and I’m not looking forward to that bill.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,345
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Just bought wood pellets this weekend. They were limiting to 10 bags. The price was $5.99 for 40lb bag of Lignetics, which didn't seem too horrible. Not sure if it was just this store limiting or is there a shortage.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,320
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    LP is way more than double, actually approaching triple what it was before Jan 2020. I don’t know how people can get by sometimes, especially the elderly or those on fixed incomes.

My friend Mike in Medford MN is all LP on his place. He is Cr@PPING himself over the prices this year.

Heck my budget plan with Nicore went from $$60 a month to $175.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,168
    Options
    Well at least we’re in an amazing economy right now, while I’m eating a big I SCEAM cone😳
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,163
    Options
    My friend in Connecticut installed a couple mini splits that do heat and ac, said they worked great
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2022
    Options
    We like our high-efficiency minisplits. They're running now and making the house comfortable while there's frost outside. Most of the juice they need is generated by the PV panels on the roof -- no oil well out back. ;)
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,757
    Options
    I just bake a meatloaf or roast. Then a cake or pie later in the day. :)
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    In the case of heat pumps, they don't work very well in colder climates.
    You can run underground loops for the heat source which generally works no matter how low the temperature drops.
    But if you'reusing outdoor air for the heat source when it gets cold enough outside your system is going to rely on electric heat strips to supply heat
    The Power Company becomes very happy at that point. 🤗

If you have solar panels (and some electric storage capacity) then you're good to go 👍

Sal Palooza
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,537
    Options
    We were fortunate to lock into a price for 2.5 years for our natural gas. We’re still locked in till next September.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    You can run underground loops for the heat source which generally works no matter how low the temperature drops.
    But if you'reusing outdoor air for the heat source when it gets cold enough outside your system is going to rely on electric heat strips to supply heat

If you have solar panels (and some electric storage capacity) then you're good to go 👍

I can't disagree about cold climates, but I can say anecdotally that we can get heat from ours with an external temp. of -20 degrees F. The efficiency isn't great below, IIRC, -13, but they'd keep the house from freezing in the absence of any secondary heat. There's no 'emergency (electrical) heat' on these units.
    Yeah, geothermal is pretty darned good but can be very expensive up here, since there's granite ledge pretty much everywhere.

• mrbigbluelight
    Options
    If I may respectfully ask Mr. H, what brand/model heat pump do you have in your system ?
    Just very curious as to what manufacturer has a heat pump that can supply some heat at -20.
    Thanks ! Again just curious 👍
    Sal Palooza
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Best I could find on CODFUEL.COM yesterday was $5.09/gal for cash, add another dime for credit/debit (which oil companies are leaning towards, they don't want their drivers turning into armored car couriers).

Post away, people, this thread will likely be gone before the weekend just like the prison thread. Shhhh,
    can't talk about evil things here...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 679
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I can't disagree about cold climates, but I can say anecdotally that we can get heat from ours with an external temp. of -20 degrees F. The efficiency isn't great below, IIRC, -13, but they'd keep the house from freezing in the absence of any secondary heat. There's no 'emergency (electrical) heat' on these units.
    Yeah, geothermal is pretty darned good but can be very expensive up here, since there's granite ledge pretty much everywhere.

I decided to go with electric baseboard. It's actually more efficient than even a mini split heat pump, but last year the electric rate in my state nearly doubled and then I got a letter in early summer that said it was going up about 30% more this year, so this summer I had a 17KW PV solar electric system installed. Now my summer electric bill is (-$) and my winter electric bill should be >$175 monthly. Next step is a Keystoker or Erie coal stove that runs on rice coal with a feed mechanism similar to a pellet stove. When I lived in the house I lost to my X-wife, I heated the entire house all winter with coal for about $7/day. I like coal because it produces 2X the BTU's of wood pellets per pound, so a full hopper will last up to two days. The downside is that coal is dirty. That fly ash goes everywhere!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,981
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I mean it's obvious you need a heat pump...

😜

Nah, firewood is a lot of work but it's free for me. Even if I paid for it(right now it's around $150/cord) we normally use just under 4 cords per season for both hot water and heat. Only spending about $600 leaves more $$ for music and tubes :)

We also have solar panels on the barn roof, most monthly bills are around $17 and then we get SREC $$ every 6 weeks or so.

As mentoned, I agree it's all about price gouging....makes me sick. There are plenty of lower income households in this area that are going to have a really chilly winter.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,320
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I got off .my lazy butt and starting looking up the latest info on heat pumps.
    For background the last bunch of heat pump systems I worked on was about 12 years ago.
    These were at a major defense contractor that has, of course, more money than Cartwr has little liver pills so ALL their systems involved HUGE ground loops
    (Everyday I prayed God don't make me replace a defective reversing valve 🙏)

Any-who, the big big differences now are:

1 Redesigned compressors
    2 Improved coil designs
    3 Super efficient fans
    4 Better motors

Basically the compressors and motors are all PWM variable speed.
    The motors are better wound and handle PWM better (more durable)

The coil designs used to be basically a copper tube with a boatload of fins.
    But the heat pickup would basically occur across the relativelyvsmall surface area of the inner tubing.
    The new coils are, from what I can tell, kind of like a Twizzler licorice stick. Provids a LOT more surface area.

So it used to be (ballpark) that at 20°F it was time to give the heat pump some help with electric heat strips.
    But no more; 0°F is a "No Big Deal" and -20°F is a "Okay, I got to work a little harder". 🤯

So I learned something today !
    😳
    Mr H has once again proven himself correct ,! 🤗
    Not that I ever dounted him but....you know it's stsrting to tick me off ! 😳
    But in a good way so it's all good 👍🇺🇸
    ...I'm going to have to take a nap now, my head hurts 🥴

Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2022
    Options
    If I may respectfully ask Mr. H, what brand/model heat pump do you have in your system ?
    Just very curious as to what manufacturer has a heat pump that can supply some heat at -20.
    Thanks ! Again just curious 👍

They're Mitsubishis. They supply warm at -20, and they no doubt go through some machinations to do it... but they do it. I think they rate them to -13, because the efficiency drops precipitously below -13 (IIRC).

No one up here would go all heat pump without some form of secondary heat, though. It's only a week or two every year, but it gets hella cold every year for a little while!

51623894005_10e32c6c5d_b.jpg

Don't get all on my case about the different roof slopes on my little ice/snow deflectors! :# I need to re-do the shallower one, but it involves angles, cutting, and unscrewing... and I believe I may have mentioned before that I am preternaturally lazy...
    :p
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Yeah, these things literally didn't exist when we built the house. We put in one as a beta test a few years ago, mostly to get some A/C on the first floor (summertime with that full southern exposure gets pretty toasty in the LR and DR mid-day), liked it, and put in a second, larger one to do our BR/upstairs and... umm... the hifi room. :blush:

Their primary purpose for us is A/C, but they're ideal this time of year for heat in the morning and at night, too. We do use them in the winter to some extent, as well, augmenting the LPG hot water heat (mostly radiant) in the house.

Subjectively, the best thing about 'em is that they're quiet, both the inside units and the outside units.

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    I was considering solar panels earlier this year as well, but had to have too many trees removed to make them worthwhile and even then, the payback time even with tax credits meant I would be funding reduced electric bills for the next owners. And though this is our "forever" home, forever is subjective and realistically, I doubt we will be here in 12 - 15 years. So the budget was spent on a Generac instead. That reminds me, I have to see how much LP is going for...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    One thing folks used to complain a bit about heat pumps was that the supply air coming out of the vents was like 90 degrees.
    If it was super cold outside, that 90 degree air circulating about the house felt kind of "drafty' for folks used to vent air from a gas fired furnace (up to 130 degrees).

I imagine things might be different now, anybody notice any difference from days of yore ?
    Sal Palooza
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,214
    Options
    One thing folks used to complain a bit about heat pumps was that the supply air coming out of the vents was like 90 degrees.
    If it was super cold outside, that 90 degree air circulating about the house felt kind of "drafty' for folks used to vent air from a gas fired furnace (up to 130 degrees).

I imagine things might be different now, anybody notice any difference from days of yore ?

Are there any that work in radiant systems? I guess you can't exactly install separate radiators or tear up floors, at least not practically. New construction would be feasible perhaps.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,676
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »

Filled up 3 20# grill cylinders at the local Hicksgas yesterday. I almost needed an wambalance for my heart attack. $75.00 !!! It's usually less than $35.00
  • mhardy6647
    Options

The air coming out is warm (not hot) -- but I/we haven't noticed a "drafty" character to it.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Got a propane delivery on Monday. Believe it or not, I was pleasantly surprised when I called for the price. We've been loyal customers for a small fuel company (that always has the best rates) for many years now and actually bought our new underground tank from them a couple years ago. I was expecting the price to be in the $3/gallon range, but it was $1.799/gallon. Plus, we only needed around 250-275 gallons to top it off so it didn't sting as much as I thought it would. Hoping that price holds for the winter as we usually go through about 800-1000 gallons each winter.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,404
    Options

I had a new high efficiency heat pump installed around 10 years ago at my former house where natural gas lines were not available. It still sucked in the winter but was a fantastic air conditioner in the summer. My main problems in the winter were it ran all the time blowing cool over dried air around the house. I know some use humidifiers in line with them which would make the air more comfortable and able to hold heat better. Never liked the idea of having water dripping into the system and creating mold and other nasty stuff.