Queen "Night at the Opera" DVD-A

Options
PETERNG
PETERNG Posts: 918
edited May 2002 in Music & Movies
This disc is released today, I went to the store to get it at lunch today, they're all gone when I get there, BB only has two copies, what's the...!!! only 2 copies for new release? damm...
Post edited by PETERNG on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Yeah...but, it's Queen. Would more than 2 people want it?

Just kidden. My local BB had quite a few of'em. Passed it up though.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • rt5
    rt5 Posts: 2
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Picked up Queen "Night at the Opera" DVD Audio today at Media Play in Hamburg, N.Y. had 2 in stock, now just 1. I'm a little disappointed it sounds pretty good, but not great.

“Death On Two Legs” and “The Prophet’s Song” are great mixes. And a lot of time was spent on “Bohemian Rhapsody” but the main vocal track is not the original in spots and is quite noticeable. More effort should have been spent on the rest of the audio mixes. All in all it is still a good DVD Audio to have but not that impressive.

My favorite is still the Blue Man Group “Audio”.
  • PETERNG
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by rt5
    And a lot of time was spent on “Bohemian Rhapsody” but the main vocal track is not the original in spots and is quite noticeable
    My favorite is still the Blue Man Group “Audio”.

Thanx for the head up, can you explain a little futher than what you said above...Blue man is great, it made my PSW 1200 work so hard...;)
  • rt5
    rt5 Posts: 2
    edited May 2002
    Options
    The DVD sounds like it was made more for DTS than for DVD Audio. Most of the main sound is located in the front two channels and other sounds are mixed around it rather than truly separated from it.

I think they thought that most systems are going to contain 5 small speakers and a sub, as opposed to mixing it for 5 full range speakers and a sub. After all this is what DVD Audio is for. The DVD also allows you to listen to a DTS mix of recording and the original 2 channel high resolution version of the recording.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I've posted this b4.. some music is released in DTS and some stores lump it together with DVD-A. while in fact it is not true DVD-A disc. it is a DTS CD and as far as I can tell does not have the 24 bits. Yes it is 5.1 (6 channel) audio but not real DVD-A.
    i have not yet checked out the Queen A night at the Opera.. did it say DVD-A or DTS on the packaging?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • PETERNG
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Queen's new release is a DVD-A, not DTS CD, however DTS did make a number of DVD-A also, like the Olivia Newton John disc (for an example), produced by DTS, but in DVD-A, but incl both DTS and DD tracks.
  • PETERNG
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I picked up a copy from local BB store ($16.38) last friday afternoon, this DVD-A rocks folk, the 5.1 mix on "Bohemian Rhasody"is great, there are backgorund vocals on the surround tracks that I swear I never heard them before. If you have a DVD-A player or a DVD player and 5.1 DTS decoder, you must pick this one up, produced by DTS, incl 3 soundtracks, DVD-a, DTS 5.1 and high resolution stereo track (2 channels) plus the original music video of "Bohemian Rhasody " in DTS 5.1.

Equipment:

Pioneer Elite 39 TX THX Receiver
    Pioneer Elite 38A THX DVD-A player
    Panasonic A-7 DVD player
    Polk RT-20p, CS-1000p, PSW-1200, F/X500, PSW-150.

The Panasonic A-7 did sound better than the Pioneer on the DVD-A performance, I'm kinda supprise...