How to fix this

Options
feelulive
feelulive Posts: 13
edited August 2022 in Customer Service
Hi all, i have a set of brand new rti a3 speakers years ago and last month i opened box and noticed something moving inside of one speaker, the grills of speakers was so tight so i couldn't take them off, a few days ago i could take them off and i would see what was shaking inside of speaker by flashlight of the phone.... İ added photos of it, i can move it with my fingers from downside air hole

9jma59cppjbq.jpg

amzl3e6fdcve.jpg

e05y5fxyxoij.jpg

vep57o2nmp82.jpg

ih8hnh86xv0j.jpg

imfirbkg2c1e.jpg

r38ibtu174g2.jpg

how to fix this, i think it droped from upside of the speakers air hole, is there a schema which shows inside of speaker

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    In all likelihood the port tube has become unseated from the port and fallen inside the cabinet. You can contact Polk's CS department at 1-800-377-7655 and follow the prompts. If you wanted to repair it yourself you would need to remove the bass/midrange driver and get access to the inside of the cabinet.
  • feelulive
    Options
    In all likelihood the port tube has become unseated from the port and fallen inside the cabinet. You can contact Polk's CS department at 1-800-377-7655 and follow the prompts. If you wanted to repair it yourself you would need to remove the bass/midrange driver and get access to the inside of the cabinet.

Thanx for your answer i live in Türkiye, if i believe i will not destroy speaker i would try it
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options

@SeleniumFalcon , Could you take of the port face by removing the two hex nuts and get to it and reglue?
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    I'll check with a friend at Polk.
  • Irish83
    Irish83 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'd contact Polk or get someone who has experience with speaker repair to take a look at it. If you feel comfortable repairing or attempting to repair you taking a chance at the speaker not preforming it's best.

Just remember that you purchased the speaker to enjoy Music...
  • feelulive
    Options
    8belro74ne3d.jpg

İ got that but didnt fit to screw, any idea?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    They may be a SAE hexhead screw. Should be an easy fix if you simply remove the bass driver. That should give you plenty of access room to repair.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • feelulive
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    They may be a SAE hexhead screw. Should be an easy fix if you simply remove the bass driver. That should give you plenty of access room to repair.

Tom

İ think so, must find a SAE one
  • feelulive
    Options
    Irish83 wrote: »
    I'd contact Polk or get someone who has experience with speaker repair to take a look at it. If you feel comfortable repairing or attempting to repair you taking a chance at the speaker not preforming it's best.

Just remember that you purchased the speaker to enjoy Music...

U r right but only option now is to do it myself..... İm far away from usa and any speaker reapirman
  • feelulive
    Options
    And do u know which sae size allen needed to remove screw
  • treitz3
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Unfortunately, I do not. 5/32 or 3/16 would be my "guess" but that doesn't do you any good without knowing for sure. Just a cheap basic Allen wrench set off of Amazon or your local hardware store should do it. It's not like they use a highly specialized, custom size Torx security screw or anything. You could probably pick up a set locally for about $7USD. Just make sure the set has at least 7 sizes and you should be golden.

The sound should improve after repair as well. ;)

[EDIT:] Apparently, the sellers on Amazon think their Allen keys are made of gold. Their prices are stupid crazy. Here's a link to a set of both for $8USD. Just gotta shop around...

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578186_200578186

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • feelulive
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I do not. 5/32 or 3/16 would be my "guess" but that doesn't do you any good without knowing for sure. Just a cheap basic Allen wrench set off of Amazon or your local hardware store should do it. It's not like they use a highly specialized, custom size Torx security screw or anything. You could probably pick up a set locally for about $7USD. Just make sure the set has at least 7 sizes and you should be golden.

The sound should improve after repair as well. ;)

[EDIT:] Apparently, the sellers on Amazon think their Allen keys are made of gold. Their prices are stupid crazy. Here's a link to a set of both for $8USD. Just gotta shop around...

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578186_200578186

Tom

Tkanx, here in my country sae set is expensive than the metric so i want to buy single one, so i will look at amazon or aliexpress too
    whats the difference between torx, can it be used too for rti a3s? now sound is normal but if i can fix it maybe sound will be more better.... And if i want to sell them later its not good something moving inside
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Torx is star like it cannot be used in a hex and work. You may be able to use a metric as some are very close in size.
  • feelulive
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Torx is star like it cannot be used in a hex and work. You may be able to use a metric as some are very close in size.

I couldnt use metric, so i ordered that, cheaper than my country, but dont know how much tax i will pay

TRY 51.70 35%OFF | Yüksek Spec Allen anahtarı 5/8/11 adet metrik SAE altıgen anahtar Set L Wrench Allen tuşları Cr V bir Set anahtar taşınabilir kısa Amr el aleti seti
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_vb47W9
  • treitz3
    Options
    Wow, that's expensive for such a low cost tool....no wonder you only wanted to buy one.

Tom
  • feelulive
    Options
    i made it finally.....the sae allen key that i bought from aliexpress fitted to screws....
    first i moved bass driver gently then i took the port tube from bottom....later i applied glue to the port tube and i found it is difficult to mount the port tube to the port so i removed the port that written polk audio at bottom....i understood that it was no need to remove the bass driver....I conveniently mounted the port tube to the port...I let the glue dry, so I haven't mounted the port yet, but I've mounted the bass driver... I'll mount the port later too ....so if you encounter the same problem, you don't need to remove the bass driver, just remove the bottom port
  • feelulive
    Options
    ok9vabvmtbli.jpg
    0y9rp479rr7s.jpg

if u dont remove bass driver maybe it would be hard to take the port tube from port hole
  • feelulive
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I had a different shock this morning...
    after solving the problem with the left speaker, I checked the port tube on the right speaker with my finger and couldn't feel the port tube. :) I wondered if they forgot to put the port tube on this speaker. then I flashed inside the right speaker and saw that the port tube was tucked into the corner, so I have thought there was no problem as it was stuck...the port tube on the left speaker was wobbly and I noticed it right away....
    I removed the port without touching the bass driver. I couldn't pick port tube by hand as the port tube was stuck in the corner... I found a crimped wire and inserted it through the port hole and grabbed the end of the port tube and pulled it. then I took it out by holding the port tube with my fingers... I finished the paste work and left it to dry...
    what is the situation with the other rti a3s, now I wonder if they have the same problem

mz0kn8aldz66.jpg
    ymmtmakn9hej.jpg
    ycse1ktejr3h.jpg
  • feelulive
    edited October 2022
    Options
  • feelulive
    edited October 2022
    Options
  • Emlyn