Rel Subwoofer Recommendation for Polk L800s

Emlyn
Emlyn Posts: 4,346
I am looking to upgrade from my pair of SVS SB2000s so asked Rel for their best match recommendation among their subwoofer models for L800s in a room about 400 square feet for music and home theater. Polk speakers are not included in their online subwoofer selection tool.

Their answer is the current Rel S/510 model. Single or pair. They seem to like that model a lot for its speed and blending flexibility. They also recommend that model up to Magnepan 3.7i. No mention of the larger and more expensive S/812 model.

Sharing in case anyone is also looking for an upgrade.

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I have the earlier S5 with my L800 and I love it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Emlyn
    edited October 2022
    Just ordered an S/812 to use with my separate two channel system with large JM Lab speakers. Decided to go with the extra headroom from the more powerful amp for not much more money and likely stick with one instead of two subwoofers in that space. The home theater system's subwoofers still seem fine to me. I'll likely keep those until one breaks, if they ever do.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Not sure where you are located but perhaps drop me a PM if you are looking to sell the pair or even one of the SVS subs....
  • Emlyn
    Easy to dial in the S/812. Easy to integrate, very fast and tight. Easily better than any SVS I've had for music straight out of the box. Break in may take a while. This thing is loafing along in a two channel system!

Sounds great though and adds a lot of benefit to support the music without drawing attention to itself.

My guess is a S/510 would be more than enough for a two channel system even with tower speakers that dip down to around 30 Hz by themselves.

Rel had this delivered to me the day after I placed the order with the box even in perfect shape. They must have magic elves working for them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I don't even know the REL S/5 is powered up unless I go turn it off for some reason.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Emlyn
    I found a copy of the soundtrack on CD for the movie "Sneakers" that Rel highly recommends for setup and fine tuning of the sub to the main speakers. Track 4 is the one to use.

That is one good recommendation!