EV Car Batteries Igniting After Exposure to Salt Water (Hurricane Ian aftermath)

jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 3,123
edited October 2022 in The Clubhouse
Salt water and electricity...yikes

474tqvlvcxd5.png

https://youtu.be/Scc9LFZOFYA
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,773
    edited October 2022
    sign me up!

take my money now!!
    Post edited by SIHAB on
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    Rumor is those things keep burning until they reach the core of the earth.

:D
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,232
    EV Solution for the coastal communities

https://youtu.be/U41fJ-pd2vE
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,592
    hmmm... you know... I wonder if lithium ion batteries could be used to quench nuclear reactor meltdowns?
    You know, that fight fire with fire thing, like you do with oil wells.

B)
    ;)
  • This was a serious problem for WWII submarines of any country, leaking sea water reaching large banks of batteries would generate poisonous gas. At that point they didn't have to worry much about fires there were more pressing concerns.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    hmmm... you know... I wonder if lithium ion batteries could be used to quench nuclear reactor meltdowns?

B)
    ;)

Maybe the tree-huggers will try to save the planet by throwing the batteries at the thermonuclear detonations engulfing them.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,599
    Saltwater is going to kill any car. It's just more fun watching the ev.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,557
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    EV Solution for the coastal communities

https://youtu.be/U41fJ-pd2vE

Sorry but that was lame! Nothing says monster truck like the roar and smell of a supercharged nitromethane hemi!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945

B)
    ;)

Hmmm, fight fire with fire.....like it. In that case, the only other thing hotter might be the inside of those old apple pies from McDonalds in the 70's. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,592
    tonyb wrote: »

B)
    ;)

Hmmm, fight fire with fire.....like it. In that case, the only other thing hotter might be the inside of those old apple pies from McDonalds in the 70's. :)

or their coffee, for a while ;)
    https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts
    In 1992, 79-year-old Stella Liebeck bought a cup of takeout coffee at a McDonald’s drive-thru in Albuquerque and spilled it on her lap. She sued McDonald’s and a jury awarded her nearly $3 million in punitive damages for the burns she suffered.

Typical reaction: Isn’t coffee supposed to be hot? And McDonald’s didn’t pour the coffee on her, she spilled it on herself! Besides, she was driving the car and wasn’t paying attention.

Now for the facts...

• CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,056
    I could've beaten her to it. Worst I ever burned my mouth/throat:
    Travelling late one night across Alabama in 1980 I stopped at the McD's in Montgomery on Hwy 80 for a coffee pick-me-up. Don't recall if I'd ever had their coffee before then. Took a big draw through the straw and burned my whole mouth and upper throat. Stayed awake the final two hours of the drive!
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 762
    New EV models will include a garage sized zip lock baggie full of rice...
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,275
    Throw in half a hog and you can serve pork fried rice....