SDA 1C Upgrade and Restoration

Options
phillip559
phillip559 Posts: 24
edited October 2022 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I just purchased a pair of used SDA 1Cs for $160. They work, but they need some love. Three side panels are missing, but the guy provided the board and cloth to get it done.

1. Definitely want to upgrade tweeters. They are working fine, but one side of tweeters is a different looking color than the other. I know what to replace with for a drop in replacement, but does anyone have any info on what is required to upgrade to the SL3000 tweeters? I have seen people mention it needs a crossover upgrade, but not how to do it. How challenging is it?
2. Is there a safe way to clean and dust the drivers and front panel?
3. Do I need an OEM pin/blade interconnect for them? Or are there aftermaket interconnect cables.
4. It looks like one driver is upside down. Does this affect the sound at all? If I remove the mid woofer, is there a special process to ensure the pressure for the cabin and passive radiator remains sealed?

Any help is appreciated, thank. Happy owner of RT55i and now these real wood SDA 1C! I will send some more pictures, but the guy sent these to me. Side note, he threw in a Pinnacle Quantam Plasma 3 speaker for free. Think that is what it is after I looked it up... lol

0xr60if6g66n.jpg
mtipnq3lx17r.jpg
7rz6j5wh7bhc.jpg

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited October 2022
    Options
    They are worthy of some TLC and upgrades. New caps/resistors and RD0 tweets and they will be superb.

Earlier 1C's had blade/blade. If yours are PIN/Blade the signal only goes through the PIN, the blade is for stability. Mine are retrofitted with a banana plug connector.

Others will chime in with the IC cable solutions. Are you going to use a common ground amplifier?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • phillip559
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    They are worthy of some TLC and upgrades. New caps/resistors and RD0 tweets and they will be superb.

Earlier 1C's had blade/blade. If yours are PIN/Blade the signal only goes through the PIN, the blade is for stability. Mine are retrofitted with a banana plug connector.

Others will chime in with the IC cable solutions. Are you going to use a common ground amplifier?

H9

Definitely planning to do the caps/resistors. I found someone selling a set of SL3000 in great condition for a great deal, so I was wondering how hard the upgrade would be if I am already going to be upgrading the crossover. I am not sure of the level of complexity for the upgrade though, or how to do it.

Mine is the pin/blade. From what I was able to gather, mine are one of, or the last generation of 1C. I plan to use a common ground, as I do not have a dedicated amplifier for it yet. I plan to do some more research about that, but is there a way to know if it is common ground? I have never seen that listed in specifications, that I remember?
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    There is no official schematic for a tl upgrade for the 1C, if I am remembering correctly.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    There is no official schematic for a tl upgrade for the 1C, if I am remembering correctly.

You're correct. It was never sanctioned by Polk. There are past members that have tried and @inspiredsports did a pair. That being said it never took off and that should speak volumes.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    No TL upgrade for those. Get the RD0194 tweeters and be happy.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk