Current recommentation for driver replacements?

Options
Hi there, first time post, though I've just read a lot of the forums trying to find answers :)

I have a set of Monitor 10As with one nonoperational MW6500 out of four. I heard that the best replacement was a MW6503 but when I called to ask the customer support rep said there are no replacement parts available for the older models.
I also have a set of SDA CRS speakers with one MW6510 completely missing :/ Not sure of the replacement suggestion here but am less fussy about this setup and would take another 6503...

Is there a secret phrase to say to CS to connect with the right person, or does Polk truly not have anything to replace these older drivers? Is the best option ebay, or are there other trusted sources for replacements?

Thanks very much for any pointers!

Best Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Polk CS will not have any drivers you're interested in. Your best bet is eBay.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Answer ✓
    Options
    MW6510 replicas will suffice.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Answer ✓
    Options
    eBay
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I wouldn't substitute an MW6503 for MW6500. Thiele/Small Parameters are too different. MW6510 wouldn't be bad. But the MW6500s come up on eBay often enough. I've bought 4 and haven't gotten a lemon. Just request that they give you the Ohm reading, make sure the voice coil doesn't rub, and ask them to pack it with lots of cushioning, especially if the magnets aren't glue reinforced.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform

Answers

• xschop
    Options
    Ebay....Curbtrash with shipping charges.
  • xschop
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Original 6500 on left, copy/repro on right.
    The copy actually has same base plate ID to Voice Coil clearance as original, but the suspension is much tighter and doesn't rub while pushing on one side of cone. The original VC rubs EASILY...

So either the orig.6500 is way worn past any spec TS parameters, or the copies/repro are not even close to factory specs...

dh7kbqrqtshg.jpg

u1avyhnu35ai.jpg

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Do they give the T/S parameters for that repro one?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Ok. This is the penned-in 6500 that I had apart and to the side because it's voice coil also sticks up past the base-plate by almost 0.25". The original only protrudes 0.120"

The date on the sticker for newer one says '98.

Original...

nrns2q6pkft1.jpg

"Newer penned-in"....

wjpy4ochgkhm.jpg

Post edited by xschop on
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Actually I believe the green label should say mw6501.
    MW6500 was never used in SDA or RTA12.
    Also every MW6501 driver I've had was green, every MW6500 I've seen was black print, MW6502 has been blue MW6510 has been redish or pinkish.
    I could be wrong but I always thought there was a color code to some of the driver labels.

I do know:
    MW6501 was used in all those speakers listed, I'm positive on all but the M10 as I've not had a set or got all personal with a pair.
  • xschop
    edited September 2022
    Options
    The 2 known original 6500s ohm out at 7.4 as do this newer one.
    I was about to clearance the newer one's baseplate ID, but it its coil protrudes to far to allow the spud to pull it out of way without possibly damaging surround or spider.

Also interesting is the newer one's leads enter under felt dust cap right alongside the Voice coil.

Originals rescued and plugged....

9tppbep8t0tc.jpg
  • xschop
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Actually I believe the green label should say mw6501.
    MW6500 was never used in SDA or RTA12.
    Also every MW6501 driver I've had was green, every MW6500 I've seen was black print, MW6502 has been blue MW6510 has been redish or pinkish.
    I could be wrong but I always thought there was a color code to some of the driver labels.

I do know:
    MW6501 was used in all those speakers listed, I'm positive on all but the M10 as I've not had a set or got all personal with a pair.

Very helpful and informative. So at this juncture I can consider the newer 6501 possibly having tighter suspension than a new 6500, and same DCR. However, I'm going to assume the older 6500's suspensions are just worn past factory TS parameters regardless.

It would be interesting to measure the suspension hang between a repro 6500 and repro 6510.