SDA 2A and NAD C298

Options
So I recently acquired a nice set of SDA’s and love them. Have upgraded tweeters on the way, really really digging these things. Was driving them with an older JVC Super Class A/B amp and decided to go big on an upgrade so ordered a NAD c298.

Was very proud of myself thinking this new amp will make my SDA’s sing, but reading through the NAD manual I am second guessing myself. I was/am aware that a common ground amp is required but thought most everything outside of dual mono would be good.

Here is what the c298 manual says:

• The blue terminals must never be connected to ground (earth).
• Never connect the blue terminals together or to any common ground
device.
• Do not connect the output of this amplifier to any headphone adapter,
speaker switch or any device that uses common ground for left and right channel

So my question is, is this amp compatible with the SDA’s? I am not technical enough to interpret the above. Any help is really appreciated.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    I'm going to say no.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• japhi
    japhi Posts: 6
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Damn, what a mistake that was then. Very quick way to lose money. Guess the SDA’s are for sale then. The one amp I buy is not compatible, what are the odds.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Call NAD, you may also contact Crutchfield as the are dealers for this item
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • japhi
    Options
    Thx - just contacted NAD
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    The NAD C298 is definitely not common ground
  • japhi
    Options
    Well that sucks, thanks for confirming. Think its best to replace the speakers but who knows.
  • txcoastal1
    edited September 2022
    Options
    If you like the speakers and bought the amp used....sell the amp

Easier to sell an amp than vintage speakers

Good luck
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• F1nut
    Options
    Keep the speakers, get rid of the NAD.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Why hasn't anyone suggested an AI-1? Is it compatible with 2A's blade-blade?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Why hasn't anyone suggested an AI-1? Is it compatible with 2A's blade-blade?

No

President of Club Polk

• japhi
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Keep the speakers, get rid of the NAD.

Probably the best path. Unfortunate because think it would have paired up nicely. Any suggestions for widely available power amp for these speakers?

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    edited September 2022
    Options
  • japhi
    Options
    Would love an a21 but thats a 5k amp in Canada so landed on an a23. Should be a dramatic improvement over my 80s Super Class A/B
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    You did well @japhi
    Keep in touch as things come together

Enjoy

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    japhi wrote: »
    I was/am aware that a common ground amp is required but thought most everything outside of dual mono would be good.
    "Dual-Mono" doesn't have to be a deal-breaker. Many (most???) "Dual-mono" amplifiers that aren't bridged/balanced designs have the grounds tied together. They're not mono on the ground side.

Mind you, they may tie each of the negative speaker terminals to chassis ground through a resistor, leading to "partial-common-ground" and sonic problems with SDA speakers--easily solved with a jumper wire between the negative terminals to bypass the resistors. Heck, the old Adcom GFA565 monoblocks could be strapped together at the negative terminals to become "common ground".
  • F1nut
    Options
    If the grounds are tied together in a dual mono amp it's not actually dual mono. Same goes for mono blocks.

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited September 2022
    Options
    We've had that discussion before.

What is "real" and what is "marketing" may/may not be in conflict. I don't know if there's a "Legal" or "Industry Standard" definition for "Dual Mono".

However, if an amplifier is marketed as "Dual Mono", and the grounds are tied together at chassis ground, with or without resistors, the typical consumer is going to believe that it is in fact "dual mono". Not a lot of folks will take an ohmmeter to the negative binding posts and check for continuity to the other post, or to chassis ground.

I am no electrical engineer. If you put two amplifiers in one chassis, and those amplifiers aren't bridged/balanced, why wouldn't the negative terminals be tied to chassis ground?

Two transformers, two independent power supplies, two independent amplifier channels largely built on two separate heat sinks. Each channel fused separately. Tied together at the power cord on one end, and chassis ground at the other end. Photo flipped upside-down for ease of reading.
    7ivlxr91fcnr.jpg

If monoblocks aren't monoblocks when the negative terminals are jumpered together with a foot of wire with banana plugs on both ends; are they not monoblocks if they're plugged into the same phase of the electrical panel? They become monoblocks, though, if they're on opposite phase of the panel? Tied together at the house wiring is different from being tied together with primary wire?