Yamaha CD-S2100 SACD Player

nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
edited May 2022 in 2 Channel Audio
This thread is to review the Yamaha CDS 2100 SACD player. I will begin by pointing out that if you have back problems this may not be the CD player for you as it weighs in at nearly 40 pounds. The quality of assembly and attention to detail is second to none. In terms of construction, it is superior to the Krell players I have tried, and very nearly equal to a couple of McIntosh units I have tried. It is abundantly clear that this is a statement piece on Yamaha’s part and an all out effort to re-establish the brand as a top player in the audiophile realm. This is a serious piece of kit.

More to follow when I have had an opportunity to set it up and play with it a bit, but just out of the box, it makes quite the impression.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited May 2022
    Krell sucks!
    Back in the day I had several Yamaha CD players, their longevity was their achilles heel. Love their sound hated they couldn't last. None of mine lasted more than 3-4 years.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Congrats on your new disc spinner!
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    I’ve been considering trying one of these players. I read they’re built and tuned to a musicians ear, or something to that affect. What equipment are you using it with?
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • pitdogg2
    edited June 2022
    I wonder what the CD-S3000 brings to the party?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,927
    lookin' forward to seein' piccies. :D
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited June 2022
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I wonder what the CD-S3000 brings to the party?

Another $3,000 bucks worth. :D

Congrats on your new SACD!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • localnet333
    localnet333 Posts: 4
    edited June 2022
    I have to ask, I resurrected my old Oppo BDP-83 player to use as a CD/SACD transport. I am stripping the digital DSD signal out of the Oppo HDMI using the GeerFab Digital Breakout Box and sending that signal via an Audioquest Cinnamon coax cable to my Denafrips Ares II DAC that easily processes the native DSD signal. That is sent to the Denafrips Hades preamp and their Thallo amp, out to the KLH Model 5 speakers.

I see you own an Oppo player, what are your thoughts in regards to SACD or CD playback in comparison? I know about the Yamaha, I almost bought one myself. But, I already had this lightly used Oppo unit, and am embarrassed at what I paid for the GeerFab unit to get the native DSD signal out to the Ares II DAC... But, it works and gets the job done for much less than the Yamaha. I am sure the Yamaha is the superior player, but by how much? Have you been able to compare the two using digital out to a separate DAC that can handle DSD processing? Serious question.

sjzdj0mb51u4.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    I've got the Oppo 205 and it is light years ahead of the earlier models. Please do not let that dissuade you, if it sounds good rock the snot out of it.
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    7sgomhptfrtn.jpg
    18n53hhsfshf.jpg
    I have it set up but have had zero time to spend with it yet. Hopefully I will get some time on Friday.

I’m sorry but I would have called out of work to make time, idk bout you😎
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    I look forward to your review.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    edited August 2022
    @nooshinjohn what are you thoughts on this player now that you have had it a couple of months? This is one that I am considering purchasing.
  • nooshinjohn
    simm wrote: »
    @nooshinjohn what are you thoughts on this player now that you have had it a couple of months? This is one that I am considering purchasing.
    Life has only given me a few times to enjoy it. It is a vey solid machine and performs nicely, but I have not given it a fair listen yet.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    edited August 2022
    The digital in is handy. I like the XLR outs it has as well.
    Specs out good.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Sitka
    Sitka Posts: 74
    I got me one of these a few months back. It's plugged into a Yamaha A-S2200 integrated amp (amazing sound), driving a pair of reconditioned Polk M7 Series 2 speakers. The transport is finicky in that if there's the slightest spec of dust on the CD, it won't load or will cut out. And once a CD loads, you have to hit play since there's no auto play option. However, the sound is excellent and the imaging and soundstage is pretty good. The SACD portion improves the top end slightly. For the $1500 cost from accessories4less.com, I was somewhat underwhelmed.

Then I hooked up a computer using the USB port and Yamaha's proprietary USB driver. Holy cripes - massive improvement in the sound! Much more detail, much more soundstage and much more imaging. And with downloaded 24 bit hi-res downloads of well recorded and mastered music, even more of the above. And all that without boomy bass or screechy treble, just amazing clarity.

If you use the USB DAC as your primary playback, and the CD transport occasionally, I highly recommend!

So I've spent the last week loading lots of CD's into my computer, which was the plan so I could run long playlists.
  • Sitka
    Yeah for sure, I too was thinking I might have to return the thing until the USB made me do a 180. Before I bought it I read somewhere, a glowing report on the USB-DAC stage being really great. They were right!

My theory as to why is that their USB app is syncing clock speeds precisely while the CD player is not quite on it. I haven't tried Qobuz yet but it's on the to do list.
  • Clipdat
    edited September 2022
    Strange about how it scoffed at dusty discs. Maybe something about it being a refurb? No idea.

@Sitka @nooshinjohn how big are your collections of SACDs?
  • nooshinjohn
    30 or so... not huge but nice to be able to spin them if I get the chance.

• Clipdat
    edited September 2022
    Nice, that's a good amount. I'm a big fan of the Venus Records jazz releases on SACD, but at $40 a pop I think I am done buying them. I'll count up how many I have sometime soon.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&labelid=887&categoryid=4&Status=InStock
  • I use my Oppo BDP-105D mostly as a DAC and feel it's good enough to warrant not spending more $$$ and adding boxes to the rig. Nice synergy with a Herron VTSP-3A preamp I just picked up.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • engie490 wrote: »
    I use my Oppo BDP-105D mostly as a DAC and feel it's good enough to warrant not spending more $$$ and adding boxes to the rig. Nice synergy with a Herron VTSP-3A preamp I just picked up.

Hey engie,
    I also have a 105D.
    How do you use it as a DAC?

Would that mean I can run my other disc players thru my Oppo?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The 105D has a pretty full range of high standard digital inputs including HDMI, USB (including DSD), Coaxial, and Toslink:

HDMI Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, AAC, up to 5.1ch/192kHz or 7.1ch/96kHz PCM.
    HDMI Video: 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p/1080p24/1080p25/1080p30, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24.
    MHL Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, up to 5.1ch/192kHz PCM.
    MHL Video: 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p24/1080p25/1080p30, 3D frame-packing
    720p/1080p24.
    USB Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, 2ch DSD 2.8224MHz/5.6448MHz
    Coaxial/Optical Audio: Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC, up to 2ch/96kHz PCM.

Just have to plug a device into the back and select the appropriate digital input in the player menu.
  • skipshot12 wrote: »
    engie490 wrote: »
    I use my Oppo BDP-105D mostly as a DAC and feel it's good enough to warrant not spending more $$$ and adding boxes to the rig. Nice synergy with a Herron VTSP-3A preamp I just picked up.

Hey engie,
    I also have a 105D.
    How do you use it as a DAC?

Would that mean I can run my other disc players thru my Oppo?

toqwaeyr36l6.jpg

I've circled the digital audio inputs on the right and the HDMI and LAN inputs on the left.

o0vh8qkp4yki.jpg

I've circled the "Input" button that allows you to toggle thru the various sources.

Personally, I use a laptop and plug it into the USB jack in the digital audio inputs. Then I can use whichever program (e.g., iTunes, Amazon Music, etc) for playback. I actually have all of my music on a NAS.

I'm considering getting a Bluesound NODE and running the digital signal to the Oppo's digital coax in. Then I won't have to tie up my laptop.

Sorry for the hijacking of the thread...

Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • Sitka
    Just curious if the 105D has a driver that you install on the PC side. Yamaha warns not to run their USB without the driver installed. For SACD's I have just one. The prices are just a bit too high, and I prefer to just download high def which I think is above and beyond SACD - and it's cheaper.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 425
    edited September 2022
    Sitka wrote: »
    Just curious if the 105D has a driver that you install on the PC side. Yamaha warns not to run their USB without the driver installed. For SACD's I have just one. The prices are just a bit too high, and I prefer to just download high def which I think is above and beyond SACD - and it's cheaper.

I initially downloaded the driver and used that but it worked just as well without. It didn't like the Amazon Basics 15-foot USB cable that I initially used (it would take multiple tries to connect to my computer). Just replaced the cable with another cheap one from someone else on Amazon and works like a champ.