Peer Gynt Soundtrack

Most folks know that Edvard Grieg composed the soundtrack for the Norweigan play, Peer Gynt. I think most critics would say that the soundtrack is better than the play itself, so recordings of that soundtrack are of most importance.

I put the recording of Arthur Fiedler with the Boston Pops Orchestra front-and-center as a benchmark.
r5zkbxy148x6.jpg
IMO, this is an excellent recording...perhaps the best example of this particular soundtrack.

I happen to have a CISCO pressing of this album, and it is exceptional.
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• I'm going to look out for that version of Peer Gynt, thanks for the review. I've recently listened to the Barclay Crocker open reel version and it sounded really good. It's kind of a strange story, I guess a morality tale? A scoundrel lies and cheats his way around the world and finally, nearing the end of his life is redeemed.
    What is a "CISCO" pressing?

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    CISCO was an audiophile reissue record label. They did LPs, CDs, and even SACDs. My understanding is that they closed doors in 2008.

One of their most popular and sought-after vinyl re-pressings was Steely Dan's Aja. Those sell for big bucks. I was fortunate to get one a little over a year ago when our fellow member @spongebobsquarepants tipped me off when he saw one for sale. SpongeBob hasn't been on here in awhile. He never replied to the last PM I sent him.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon