Replacement for MW6503 Drivers

Options
Hello, this is my first post in the forum, but I have been sent here by Google a few times, and I am always grateful for the massive amount of help and info that is served here.

I have read here and I agree that attempting to buy used MW6503s from eBay or elsewhere is the preferred replacement path. I setup a wanted ad, and put a watch on eBay, however, I have an immediate need for a pair of MW6503s, which came as quite a surprise.

I need to purchase a pair of replacement MW6503 drivers to use until I score some good luck on the used market.

I haven't been able to find a consensus regarding which is the best alternative, for example, the Midwest MW-6503-8, the Dayton Audio DC160-8, or some other driver I haven't seen mentioned, and so I hope to learn what is the preferred replacement driver for the MW6503 and why?

TIA
Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL
Carver TFM-55
Rotel RC-970BX

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    The Midwest driver design is based off the original Polk driver. The Dayton is not. I hope that answers your question.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    You could try the MW6510s while you're waiting on the originals.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • wcaudio
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    You could try the MW6510s while you're waiting on the originals.

Thank you for your reply xschop, I really do appreciate your input. The MW6510s are a closer match than many others, but I think they're now also unavailable?
    Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL
    Carver TFM-55
    Rotel RC-970BX
  • wcaudio
    Options
    I recently read this tread and comments regarding the tech specs for the MW6503-8 here:
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/189364/replacing-frozen-vintage-mw-6503
    ...and that is partly why I am here.

I suppose my question is now redefined as hoping to learn from owners who have tried the MW6503-8s in any SDA SRS cabinet, and regardless of how subjective your experience might be, I am hoping to learn if you think they suck a lot, a little, or not at all.
    Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL
    Carver TFM-55
    Rotel RC-970BX