Ever disassemble an SDA SRS 3.1 cabinet?

Options
Hey all, I am looking for advice or pics of the disassembly of the srs cabinet. I want to make my own and add bracing but I don't see how it comes apart. Any insight is appreciated.

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    The cabinets are glued together and were never intended to come apart.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    A ton of glue was used.
  • Heights
    Options
    The cabinets are glued together and were never intended to come apart.

I appreciate that but it is going to come apart. Would just like to do it with as little damage as possible. Main piece I want to save is front black panel. Maybe I'll use a multitool to saw it apart at seems.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    What analysis and testing did you perform in order to determine that the cabinet needs additional bracing?
  • Heights
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    What analysis and testing did you perform in order to determine that the cabinet needs additional bracing?

I call it "the wobble". LMAO. the cabinet is literally loose. I assume prior owner moved it alot a d it's coming apart. I work at a cabinet plant so I am building my own to compliment my new crossovers from Trey.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Sounds like it has had a rough life.
  • Heights
    Heights Posts: 11
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Sounds like it has had a rough life.

Well it's got potential now, thanks tp trey. coqht72kkj3m.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Stunning work as usual!
  • Heights
    Options
    Stunning work as usual!

I am impressed. Can't wait to hear it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Have you taken all the drivers out of the cabinet? (edit seeing the new XO i'm sure you did)The end caps should be stapled on (heavy duty) , from there I'd think you could gleen enough info to build your own. There isn't much to the 3.1 cabinets as they were the last SDA to be built it should be a pretty simple rabbit, dado sort of thing.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I would reglue the original cabinets and then refinish them as you see fit. I have yet to see a custom cabinet made that sounds as good as the original.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Heights
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Have you taken all the drivers out of the cabinet? (edit seeing the new XO i'm sure you did)The end caps should be stapled on (heavy duty) , from there I'd think you could gleen enough info to build your own. There isn't much to the 3.1 cabinets as they were the last SDA to be built it should be a pretty simple rabbit, dado sort of thing.

That is what I am thinking. I should have to destroy them to get a good idea of dimensions. However, to save myself the trouble of locating center of every driver I would like to have the front fascia panel for a router guide. At work I can have a cnc machine make the cab or I can piece it together in my shop from voidless Baltic birch.
  • Heights
    Options
    I would reglue the original cabinets and then refinish them as you see fit. I have yet to see a custom cabinet made that sounds as good as the original.

That's interesting. I couldn't find one custom sds srs cabinet. I did look. Maybe I missed it.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Heights wrote: »

That's interesting. I couldn't find one custom sds srs cabinet. I did look. Maybe I missed it.

There is a ton of custom refinishing of stock cabinets, but the original is always in there somewhere. It is very hard to see, but the openings for the drivers on the front baffles have an angle to them that is hard to replicate for properly aligning the drivers.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited September 2022
    Options
    One should be able to take every measurement without disassembling the cabinets.

Building new cabinets out of different material WILL result in a different sound.

I've yet to see a reworked stock SDA cabinet were the cloth sides are replaced with wood, etc. or custom made ones that didn't look like crap. My advice, fix up what you already have.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    My biggest disappointment with the 3.1 cabinets is that the wood caps top, and bottom didn't come off like the others..
  • Heights
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    My biggest disappointment with the 3.1 cabinets is that the wood caps top, and bottom didn't come off like the others..

Oh to make it a clean rectangle like under the 2A?
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2022
    Options
    No, like the 2.3's or 1.2's.

Once they are off, it makes it a lot easier to refinish them or replace them with something else..

But even the 1C's and 2B's can be a PIA, but once they are off you can make them like the BIG boys.

The 3.1's are actually part of the cabinet..
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I always felt like the wood/cloth sides was a classy timeless look
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    When I acquired my pair, they were in very rough condition as well. The top and bottom caps were beat to crap, the grills and and all the cloth were soaked with pet urine, to the point I made new grill frames and new side panels before recovering them. Amazingly so, the front/back of the cabs were in very good shape, along with all but one mid-driver.

After removing the drivers, I used a rubber mallet and a block of wood to get the caps started as they are glued to the cabs, using a T/G method. Tough to get started, but wasn't difficult to remove them after that.

The Oak trim pieces were being held in place with glue AND screws coming the inside of the cabs. Took a bit to get the trim pieces removed as I made new replacements of those also.

I installed cleats around the cab openings and then attached a new 'base' in each. This would give me a way to attach new caps that I had made, using lag bolts as the previous SRS models had.

xf0u9az7wcx1.png

wkop5t0acwnp.png

lq82efn8gxa2.png

mvq7x2yvkvlc.png

• Heights
    Options
    When I acquired my pair, they were in very rough condition as well. The top and bottom caps were beat to crap, the grills and and all the cloth were soaked with pet urine, to the point I made new grill frames and new side panels before recovering them. Amazingly so, the front/back of the cabs were in very good shape, along with all but one mid-driver.

After removing the drivers, I used a rubber mallet and a block of wood to get the caps started as they are glued to the cabs, using a T/G method. Tough to get started, but wasn't difficult to remove them after that.

The Oak trim pieces were being held in place with glue AND screws coming the inside of the cabs. Took a bit to get the trim pieces removed as I made new replacements of those also.

I installed cleats around the cab openings and then attached a new 'base' in each. This would give me a way to attach new caps that I had made, using lag bolts as the previous SRS models had.

xf0u9az7wcx1.png

wkop5t0acwnp.png

lq82efn8gxa2.png

mvq7x2yvkvlc.png

See, that's what I am talking about. Love it. Thank you. Any additional pics are also greatly appreciated. Nice job.
  • Mike Reeter
    Options

xf0u9az7wcx1.png

wkop5t0acwnp.png

lq82efn8gxa2.png

mvq7x2yvkvlc.png

See, that's what I am talking about. Love it. Thank you. Any additional pics are also greatly appreciated. Nice job.

I had some other pics of the cabinets before and after removing the original caps, but I cant seem to locate them. The cabinets themselves weren't structurally compromised, that is until I started tearing them apart :)

I'll keep digging for some old pics.

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    edited September 2022
    Options
    These are my favorite 3.1's...

ow487nkppqud.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Heights
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

ow487nkppqud.jpg

So were these stripped all the way down to their basic rectangle box then laminated?
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

ow487nkppqud.jpg

So were these stripped all the way down to their basic rectangle box then laminated?

yes...

• Heights
    Options

ow487nkppqud.jpg

yes...

ow487nkppqud.jpg

yes...

I like that. May do something similar.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Those actually don't look too bad. FYI, that's cherry veneer not laminate.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Those actually don't look too bad. FYI, that's cherry veneer not laminate.
    Those were the ones I was thinking about.

• Toolfan66
    Options
    Yeah those are absolutely beautiful!!