5.1 disappointed at Polk maginfi mini soundbar

I checked the broadcast channels for the speakers with the help of a special DVD title test disk with which I calibrate the home theater systems.
Also, after each experiment I took the optical cable and connected it to a 5.1 audio gear channel separation box. with separate speakers for each channel separately. There the separation was excellent.

The test conclusions regarding the Polk maginfi mini soundbars34naqhz0gnw.jpg
:

1) The two rear audio channels are not separated at all and are broadcast at the same volume on both sides. There is no difference between the right rear audio channel and the left rear audio channel: when transmitting to the left rear audio channel only, the right side speaker also works with the same volume as the left and at the same time!
And so conversely, when broadcasting to the rear right audio channel only, the left side speaker also works at the same intensity at the same time.
There is no separation at all. The rear audio channels are not separated at all and in fact they go out to the speakers as mono!
2) There is no difference in the division between the speakers:
When transmitting the right audio channel forward only, the side speaker on the left also works with the same power! Although it, the left side speaker, should only be for the left side channels only and is especially intended for the rear channel.

The same goes the other way around. When broadcasting the left audio channel forward only, the side speaker on the right also works with the same power! Although it, the right side speaker, should be for right side audio channels only and is especially intended for the rear audio channel.

As a home theater enthusiast for decades (I have thousands of DVD titles in a private collection) I bought your soundbar for 5.1 channel separation when the competitors define only a 2.1 system in such a physical size of a soundbar. To enjoy multi-channel sound and especially in 5.1 channel separation.
So I am very disappointed. There is no separation of surround channels, especially the rear ones. They are transmitted to the speaker at the same volume and in mono. And even compared to a 2.1 sound system, you fall into the fact that the right sound channel also transmits to the left speaker and vice versa - when only the left sound channel is transmitted and the sound should only come out from one side, the left side, you also transmit to the right speaker.

I would appreciate a response.

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,307
    You do realize that this is a $300 “mini” soundbar, right? It is not a 5.1 sound system. I do not think running a calibration disc on soundbars is advisable, as most employ complicated algorithms to project a simulated surround sound experience. By using your calibration disc, you are likely defeating the programming that allows the soundbar to project what little surround effect it is capable of.

Long story short, you’re not going to get full 5.1 surround impact from a $300 two-box system.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• The soundbar uses its speakers facing diagonally to the sides to project the sound beam of the rear surround channels. The sound is projected towards the side wall and from there diagonally to the user's ear.

But here, there is no separation at all between right and left. In the statement on the device it is written that it contains a 5.1 system. As expected, 5+1 channels should project the sound towards the listener and on the right side. And it doesn't matter if it's a Chinese system or a soundbar that costs $100 or $1000 - in both cases the side of the sound projection has to match the side of the channel that is currently being broadcast on the input cable to the device.

In addition, it is not possible to write 5.1 and the 2 rear channels are not separated.
    It is also not possible that in a 5.1 system and even in a 2.1 system when there is audio it should only be in one direction, one side, only on one channel, audio will also be heard in the speakers of the other side, directed in the wrong direction.

The buyers, like me, buy a 5.1 system to enjoy all the audio channels and on the right side they need to hear. This is the difference between systems of 2.1. This is not a system or a Chinese soundbar for 40 dollars. This is a well-known company, and for others, $300 is quite expensive and they expect to get a 5.1 channel experience.

For a system such as this which is clearly stated to have a 5.1 decoder and as expected if an audio signal from one side is transmitted the loudspeaker of the other side will not be heard.

I am waiting for the customer service reply. It is interesting to hear their response.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,307
    gil_golan wrote: »
    … in both cases the side of the sound projection has to match the side of the channel that is currently being broadcast on the input cable to the device...

All due respect, but you can’t necessarily make this assertion. As I stated previously, there are complicated algorithms at work here, especially with regards to Polk. As with SDA technology, perhaps there is some sort of cross-channel cancellation signal at work that projects the (again) simulated surround sound…

Out of curiosity, have you actually LISTENED to the system properly set up? How does it sound?
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Why does my Honda Civic not handle like a Ferrari?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited August 2022
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Why does my Honda Civic not handle like a Ferrari?

Because it's really a Fiat....
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I have owned one for 3-4 years. It does the job I need pretty well for a $300 unit. It is not designed nor is it advertised to compete with a full 5.1 separate speaker system. Anyone who would look at this or any sound bar for that matter and expect/assume it's going to project a full front to rear surround sound experience is smoking something. It's designed to mildly simulate some of the 5.1 dolby features, but it in no way will reproduce them 100%, nor is it advertised to.

Many times when watching TV or a movie I'll look to my left or right because I hear something, it's the SDA algorithm of the mini sound bar during a movie. Use this for a week properly set up and then go back to the cheap TV speakers and tell me there's no difference.

For me I wanted something small, compact, that was hardly noticeable, but put out good, clear, loud sound, especially voices. The speakers in my TV are just a step better than a cell phone. This fit the bill perfectly as I don't have room for multiple speakers, etc.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!