RT2000i Biwire

Options
2»

Comments

• buckeye_jones1
    buckeye_jones1 Posts: 5
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Nothing like a new guy resurrecting a twenty year old thread. I have some older equipment I’m setting up in a basement home theater. For my front speakers I have a pair of RT2000i (center is cs350-ls) and I have a pair of rt100’s in the surround. So I’m running a 5.0 setup. I have an older Onkyo TX-SR606, which has 7.1 capability. In the Onkyo manual, it supports what it’s calling bi-amping by running the L/R signals to the top binding posts and the surround back signals to the lower binding posts of the RT2000i’s. (Currently I have the L/R feeding the top posts and the lower posts bridged.)

Should I do this? Would I be better off just running a subwoofer line into the sub input and skip the bi-wire/bi-amp adventure?
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Since the built in woofer amplifier has a low pass filter it's recommended to send an unfiltered signal into it to avoid double filtering. This incoming signal could be either a preamp level signal or a full range amplifier signal. The speaker is already bi-amplified so no need to make multiple amplifier connections.
    I believe you already have the speaker connected correctly.
  • buckeye_jones1
    buckeye_jones1 Posts: 5
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Forgive the possibly naive response, but the RT2000i has both the +/- channel inputs (4 posts) and an LFE input. Right now, I have the channel wired to the top binding post, and the bridges in place. In the receiver, I have the front channels set to full range. But in the manual, it appears I can run the subwoofer frequencies either directly to the LFE input, or to the (unbridged) lower posts, by using the appropriate cable from the receiver’s lfe output. All of this is different from the Onkyo’s direction to bi-amp the front and rear surround channels into the front speakers using the two sets of binding posts.

Do you mean that I won’t get any better sound by running signal direct to the LFE input?
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    It slipped my mind that the RT 2000i has an LFE input, sorry. This connection would avoid the double filtering aspect. My only remaining concern would be low pass frequency given by the receiver. Does Onkyo provide the subwoofer output frequency? Typically it is 80Hz.
    I always encouraged RT2000i owners to consider the builtin woofer as more of an extension of the mid range rather than a true subwoofer (I know the advertising for the speaker said it was a subwoofer). If the output of the receiver's sub out is 80Hz there might not be a satisfactory blending of the low frequency capability of the mid range and the upper frequency of the builtin woofer. In any event you should connect the speaker both ways and pick the method you prefer.
    The use of the four amplifying channels to the speaker wouldn't be any benefit. Since the woofer's amplifier would take the incoming amplified signal from the receiver's surround channels, reduce it to a line level signal and feed it to the speaker's bass amplifier nothing would be gained. The use of the front and surround channels for bi-amping assume the speaker doesn't already have a self contained amplifier.
  • buckeye_jones1
    Options
    Thanks!! I couldn’t find the output frequency specifically on the Onkyo’s LFE, though I can set the crossover as low as 40 Hz if that is helpful. The manual states frequency range starting at 5 Hz-100kHz for the receiver overall.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    What is the receiver's model number? I might be able to find the owner's manual.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Thanks for the link. From the manual:

6221dls0n0d6.png

If you wanted to try the sub out connection to the LFE input I would suggest changing the crossover frequency to 150Hz and see how that sounds. You're looking for a well integrated blend between the speaker's woofer and the lower mid range when reproducing well recorded music. Then try setting the crossover at 100Hz and compare what you just heard, then try 150Hz again and listen again. Then try 200Hz and see what that does. Set the volume level on the speaker's bass amplifier to around the 9:00 o'clock position during this test and adjust it after deciding on a good blend.
    I hope this is helpful.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Oscale reported
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I would keep things simple and just use a run of speaker wire from the receiver to the top binding posts on the RT2000s with the binding posts connected with pieces of speaker wire to replace the cheap metal straps/bands on each channel. If the subwoofer is set as "None" in the receiver setup menu the full range signal will go to each speaker including any LFE signal.

The amp in the speaker is only about 50 watts from what I remember and the -3dB low frequency level from the speakers is pretty run of the mill for a tower speaker.

Adding a separate subwoofer or two would do wonders for the system.

The thing that brought me to this forum many years ago was the same setup question but with a pair of RT1000s. But in those days Circuit City liked to toss in an entry level subwoofer with a purchase of Polk speakers above a certain price level.
  • buckeye_jones1
    Options
    Emlyn, the set up you describe is how I have it now, and if folks are at the dining room table (directly above our basement media room) they will complain the current bass level shakes the fillings in their teeth! (At volume 45 on the Onkyo). I am definitely tempted to run a dedicated sub!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Oscale reported
    Emlyn, the set up you describe is how I have it now, and if folks are at the dining room table (directly above our basement media room) they will complain the current bass level shakes the fillings in their teeth! (At volume 45 on the Onkyo). I am definitely tempted to run a dedicated sub!

Better get good dental ins. :D:D
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options

That's the spirit!