Vintage Electronic Scores.

Options
xjghost
xjghost Posts: 1,084
So I was in Habit and saw this Onkyo TA -2055 tape deck for $13. My Sony is dragging so I thought I’d roll the dice on it. I’ll post pictures when I remember how to here.
HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Onkyo's cassette decks were "pretty OK" and generally very comely aesthetically speaking :)
    So, yeah, post photos.

Lots of ways to do it. You can copy and paste most images (as long as they're not too large), or you can upload one directly, if you wish. Just click that little "image" icon and you can "choose files" to upload. This forum has many operational eccentricities (bless its heart!) but it will accept fairly large image files (including animated GIFs) :)

0qxmf99zbw4f.png

l1hhk3z9ky3m.png

voila

hzkrvfdcscg2.gif

• xjghost
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I did not realize I could upload them here like in other places.

co92evpplw3s.jpeg
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2022
    Options
    You said TA-2055, right?

hheaihssh0d0.png

The big issue (bugbear) with old cassette decks is the rubber drive belts. Many of them tend to turn to sticky black goo -- some do this after relatively few years (25 or so... I said relatively!.) ;)

I hate working on cassette decks -- but they can usually be reanimated if the need arises and if one is motivated and not too easily discouraged by tearing into small, complex mechanisms. :p

Hifiengine probably has the OM and maybe the SM for the 2055, too. I haven't looked yet.
    EDIT: They have the SM: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/onkyo/ta-2055.shtml

I am assuming that the TA-2055 uses belt drive(s) -- I don't really know this particular deck, so I don't know. If it works as acquired, don't complain! I would recommend cleaning and (if possible) demagnetizing the heads. Isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol, which usually has some lubricant in it as well as diluted iPrOH) and Q-tips works fine for the former. Those little electronic, cassette-shaped head demagnetizers work pretty well for the latter, and are very easy to use (and hard to screw up the use of). A proper head demagnetizer is arguably a better choice, but has to be used properly (according to the instructions!) or one runs the risk of magnetizing the head and/or portions of the tape path/transport mechanism! :|

pxjpl0fcfw8e.png

Können Sie Deutsch?
    ;)

3jkdtgtq9q3j.png
    source: https://www.hifiengine.com/hfe_downloads/index.php?onkyo/onkyo_high_fidelity_1982-83_de.pdf
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    The Habit is a burger joint out here…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • xjghost
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Ops Habitat, not sure how that happened.

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Some folks do make Habitat a habit :#