SPL Electronics

Options
jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 3,004
Anyone who gets emails from The Music Room (tmraudio.com) has undoubtedly noticed the recent push towards SPL gear. Has anyone here taken the plunge, and have feedback on this line of gear?
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,604
    Options
    I used to have the Phonitor X.

Seeing as how you are the proud owner of a HPA4 and AHB2, I don't think there's really anything in the SPL lineup that would be worth your time.

What piece(s) were you interested in specifically?
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Don't forget my DAC3/HGC :p I'm just curious about the SPL line since they gush over it so much.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,604
    Options
    IMO, I would consider their gear to be "good, not great" - YMMV.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    They're similar to Benchmark, in that they made professional gear for years, and then started making consumer audiophile products. The VOLTAiR technology is apparently something different, operating at +/- 60-volt loading, instead of the standard +/- 15-volt loading. I'm not going to pretend I know what that means, or does, but apparently it provides more headroom, dynamic range, and less noise...according to one review I read.