sub box shape

reone98
reone98 Posts: 2
edited February 2005 in Custom Fabrication
I want to install a sub box in my s-10 truck. It's a standard cab with racing bucket seats. I've designed a box to set behind my bucket seats. The drawing i've made look like the following description. It has a triangle shape, with the sub mounted in the bottom left corner (as seen from the front). The sub will be between the seats. I have the correct inside demensions as far as cubic feet. Will this sound ok with the sub offset like this?
Post edited by reone98 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2005
    it doesn't particularly matter what shape the sub box is, as long as the longest interior dimension is shorter than two feet (longer than that and you could have standing wave problems). the only problem i forsee is that of sq - many trucks have 'sweet spots' and 'dead spots' for subs, even more so than cars, and thus sub placement is crucial to the listening experience. maybe you should build a properly-sized cube and make sure the spot you've chosen will actually sound good?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    Agreed.

The shape of the box wont have any affect on SQ. Just make sure it has the proper interior volume.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • reone98
    reone98 Posts: 2
    edited February 2005
    Thanks for the help.