DCM Time Window Overhaul

Options
2»

Comments

• rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    Amazing sounding speakers, they like some watts.
  • brettmil
    brettmil Posts: 1
    Options
    I re-foamed a set of timeframes 10 years back, but they need an overhaul now. Any advice or how to is appreciated
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    brettmil wrote: »
    I re-foamed a set of timeframes 10 years back, but they need an overhaul now. Any advice or how to is appreciated

If you mean "rebuild the crossovers", you will need to open them up to get at the crossover and see what values the caps and resistors are. You would then buy new caps and resistors, de-solder the old ones, and then solder the new parts on the board. Or, have someone rebuild the crossovers for you.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,694
    Options
    Are those the original tweeters installed?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Are those the original tweeters installed?

Yes they are original. If I remember correctly from Denmark. I have since moved the Time Windows along, like most of my equipment. Down to Bottlehead Paramount 300b monoblocks, Aric Audio pre, Zu Audio Soul Supreme's, Marantz cd player, and vintage Yamaha YP-D71 tt.
  • xdcm
    xdcm Posts: 1
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Excellent work! I used to work at DCM; that is a VERY early unit…pretty amazing to still be around. Tweeter was Phillips, by the way. Time Window 1A had Vifa tweeters.
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    I had the 1a s and had them powered by a m1.5t and was amazing. The time windows are power hungry. But if you have the power they sing.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    I had the 1a s and had them powered by a m1.5t and was amazing. The time windows are power hungry. But if you have the power they sing.

Interesting. I have, as most of all y'all know, a battered pair of the original morph timewindows (Philips polycarbonate tweeters). They sound very good even with very low powered (by the standards of this forum) amplification -- e.g., pp EL84, ca. 12 wpc.
    I am not saying that they couldn't sound better overall with more power, but the original version, at least, seems to be supremely easy to drive.