Pink Floyd Animals 2018 mix Blu-Ray or SACD

Which to get want either for the 5.1 mix any suggestions? Need to preorder pronto.
Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Both!

:D

Since both would be a 5.1 mix, most likely people would be playing either on the same universal Blu-Ray player and possibly not using the analog outputs into a receiver or an AV processor. That means using HDMI for the connection. If that's the case, I don't think it matters much which version is used other than the price.

I would lean towards getting the SACD if it was just for a dedicated two channel system.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Not for a dedicated 2.0 set up already have it on vinyl and CD, have a Oppo and Sony player that will do both and a SACD player that's in a dedicated 2.0 system. The only thing is it comes down to the debate of DSD vs PCM plus I run a 7.2 which will work with the Blu Ray Audio.

I'm not sure if the BluRay Audio has video like the Yes releases do. I've heard some pretty decent sounding Blu Ray Audio Discs.Dont want to start a DSD vs PCM discussion I'm just thinking that possibly the DTS HD Master offered on the Blu Ray might be the best, plus being able to choose the original 1977 2.0 mix and the 2018 remix 2.0.

I wish Obscured By Clouds and Meddle would get this treatment, I've got the SACD in the Music Direct cart and the Blu-Ray Audio in the Amazon cart I'm leaning toward the Blu-Ray Audio buying both isnt an option.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• Emlyn
    butterbean wrote: »
    That’s a great point since I know zero about SACD’s! 😬 perhaps I should stay in my lane
    😜

Some, maybe most, Blu-Ray players in consumer hands now have no SACD reading capability built in at all. For those the Blu-Ray would be the only choice. I'm surprised the SACD is even going to be available in surround format as well as in stereo format. I understand it's Analogue Productions that is manufacturing those since the options for finding a plant to press multi-layer SACD discs is pretty small now.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I always by both when I can. It's always nice to have a back up to listen to on something. I used to buy both DVD-A and SACD's. The problem I found on the two RUSH BR's I bought was you need a monitor to access the different parts on the disc. It took me for ever to find the right combination of button clicks to get to the music 😂😂
  • Emlyn
    edited July 2022
    Out of nostalgia/curiosity I just played the 5.1 SACD of Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" with straight 5.1 multichannel over HDMI and then used the Auro 3D feature on my processor to activate all the surround speakers plus the Atmos speakers. The playback using Auro 3D is much better than standard 5.1 (more height to the soundfield and a more immersive sound overall) but simple stereo on the L800s or Magnepan 1.7i would still suit me just fine. The playback device is an Oppo 205 with a generic HDMI cable.

It'll be interesting to hear what Guthrie came up with in his surround mix of Animals but it could be spectacular on a good surround system with modern processing power whether it's SACD or HD-Master Audio.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Yeah I'm so looking forward to hear the job Guthrie did on the surround mix, I've been waiting a long time for this to come out.
    myuiftrfh2mi.jpg
    3m0pkqrjm14d.jpg
    Hard decision
    I'm still leaning towards the HD Master on the Blu Ray Audio Oppo 105D with Audioquest Choclate HDMI cable. I need to get that Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SACD.

Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    Blu ray for me thanks!
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears