A foolish notion

jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 3,124
I think I have a foolish notion that a subset of my friends, or family members, will somehow attain a level of audio playback expectation, just a smidge below mine, such that they will...at some point...in the future...be interested in purchasing my secondary equipment.

Am I alone in this foolish notion?
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,233
    We are a small community...

Many like the music, but most only care about hearing it...

We like STEREO and presentation as recorded for the intension
    Many and most don't really care
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 644
    Pennies on the dollar... :'(
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,522
    The day someone in my family or non audio friends buy a piece of equipment from me is the day they will also receive a large pizza and beer
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    I have maybe one friend whom expressed interest to buy some of my secondary gear, but he has never followed through, or contacted me to follow-up about it.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,233
    edited July 2022
    Best thing to do for gear is put a piece of tape on the bottom with minimum price with year
    Make sure it has a number...

Put those numbers on a spread sheet with part#, description and minimum price

On that spreadsheet include instructions how to search for resale on Agon, Ebay, Hifishark

best you can do, IMHO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,355
    All of my old gear tend to end up in San Diego. B)o:)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,129
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I think my estate planning* includes a dumpster. :#

I'll provide one and help fill it too. :);)

But I'll probably need one first. o:)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    edited July 2022
    I remember the first time I visited an older friend's house in the late 90s and noticed their really nice audio setup. He told me it was his (programmer) roommate's and that he'd spent about 10k. I've loved music all my life, but had very little exposure to quality gear at that time, and I remember thinking it was kind of weird. And that was *only* $10k.

I've tried talking to a few friends about it here and there. Mostly I'm closeted about this obsession as I know most won't understand, and they'll think I'm a lunatic. And that I belong to a cult. Which I do. And you do, too.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,129
    edited July 2022
    My mom bought a set of KLH 20s I think they were, from a yard-sale 40 years ago. 8" woofer and a tweeter. I liked the sound a lot.

She gave them to me or sold them to me is more like her.

I kept them for years. They put out a big sound stage and the bass was pretty good. Those got me started on listening for that BIG stereo image and good bass too ever since.

Now look at me. :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,279
    edited July 2022
    I'm a lunatic. And that I belong to a cult. Which I do. And you do, too.
    I belong to a Cult........ The Cult of personality, now go suck an egg!
    🤯😸
  • msg
    edited July 2022
    I can quit any time.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm a lunatic. And that I belong to a cult. Which I do. And you do, too.
    I belong to a Cult........ The Cult of personality, now go suck an egg!
    🤯😸

https://youtu.be/7xxgRUyzgs0
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    Is that an angry Milli Vanilli member?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 10,007
    Keep the faith bruthas. I just passed on some audio to the son of a woman I know who is really getting into audio, got to move some speakers of which I have too many and a receiver and an old OPPO. The woman bought some gear too, mostly for CDs and BT from her phone. They don’t have the audio bug big time but they are really getting into audio playback. Keep hope alive.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,355
    At least you are not moving refrigerators and color tv’s…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    At least you are not moving refrigerators and color tv’s…
    The real question is, does he have an earring in his ear?, 'cause you know what that means... he's a millyonare.
    I disabled signatures.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,599
    Really?
    All the stuff I'm seeing in estate sales lately is way overpriced.
    That's everything, not just audio. They seem to look a lot at crazy
    listings in ebay for reference. You know, the ones that are up for
    months at a time.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson