Fuse for Monitor 5b's?

Options
dkg999
dkg999 Posts: 5,647
edited September 2005 in Vintage Speakers
What fuse is supposed be used for the Monitor 5b's? The pair I picked up at a flea market have two different fuses in them, I need to know what fuse is supposed to be used. Also, is it possible to get a polyswitch from Parts Express and put in place of the fuses? What value would you use? Thanks!
DKG999
HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
Post edited by dkg999 on

Comments

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I couldn't find any info. on the correct fuses, so I went with 1 amp. That seemed like a safe value. I had never heard the 5b's before. Pretty impressive little monitor! After replacing the SL2000's in my Monitor 10's, and SDA2, I now can hear how bright the original SL2000 is. Not sure if it is worth the money to replace the one's in the 5b's, although even at $200 to replace the MW6502's and the SL2000's, I don't know where I would go buy a pair of bookshelf speakers as good for $200/pr? The closest I have heard are my EPOS ELS-3.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited September 2005
    Options
    dkg999 wrote:
    I couldn't find any info. on the correct fuses, so I went with 1 amp. That seemed like a safe value. I had never heard the 5b's before. Pretty impressive little monitor! After replacing the SL2000's in my Monitor 10's, and SDA2, I now can hear how bright the original SL2000 is. Not sure if it is worth the money to replace the one's in the 5b's, although even at $200 to replace the MW6502's and the SL2000's, I don't know where I would go buy a pair of bookshelf speakers as good for $200/pr? The closest I have heard are my EPOS ELS-3.

5b's were my very first Polk product. Bought them used in 1985 for $225 a pair. I used to hang out at the high-end store that sold these all the time, even though I worked for a discount retailer in the audio dept. I used to take my 5b's into the discount retailer to let _our_ customers listen to them. I sold a lot of 5b's for the other store. Hell, that's what eventually got me hired at the high-end store down the road. Customers always commented on how good they sounded....couldn't believe so much sound from such a small speaker. If you are going to use them a lot buy the replacement parts. It'll be worth becasue I agree you won't find a $200 pair of book-shelfs that sound that good. :)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Joey Ward
    Options
    dkg999 wrote: »
    What fuse is supposed be used for the Monitor 5b's? The pair I picked up at a flea market have two different fuses in them, I need to know what fuse is supposed to be used. Also, is it possible to get a polyswitch from Parts Express and put in place of the fuses? What value would you use? Thanks!

1 amp came with set
    Joey Ward
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,659
    Options
    Why are you dredging up all of these 10 year old threads?
  • Joey Ward
    Options
    Why are you dredging up all of these 10 year old threads?

Like reading old post. Really nothing is old and there is something to learn from them.
    Joey Ward
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,019
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I just had to know what came with them myself. They had 1 amp fuses that were blown in these. I used 3 amp fuses just to see if they would come alive and wow, did they. I just looked for some 1 amp fuses and my local Lowe's H. I. doesn't carry them. Crazy. :# Maybe Home Depot does. Going there in a second. Yep, they should have 3 5packs. 3.00 each pack. I'll buy all 3 packs. :D

These old SL1000 tweeters sound great. These M5's look new so maybe the tweeters aged well. I'm VERY impressed with their sound as long as I engage the contour button on my old pre-amp. Or not and turn the bass up a bit. Great imaging!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,482
    Options
    Think it's 1amp fast blow
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,482
    Options
    I had some sl1000 in 1 set of monitor 10's. Tad better than sl2000. Peerless & rd0 seemed to be polks best. I had a pair of early 5's on stands with peerless & loved em. Did you post pictures already ?
    Randy/Maine
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,019
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I learned from this Forum to only use "FAST BLOW" fuses. ;)

I had plenty of "slow blow" fuses in some parts drawers and KNEW to pass them by. :o>:)

I only have these pics for now. The woofers and passives and cabinets too for that matter, look like new as does these SL1000's.

The grills have a little moisture warping and a little hole in the front of one though.

I also think the SL1000's sound better than the 2000s. Even the good sounding 2000's that I've heard many of. Now the RD-0194's and Wuhan's might have an edge in softer detail but my 65 yr. old ears aren't "too sensitive" to much judgements BUT I sure can hear distortion and harshness if there is any.

I still haven't heard the RD-0198's though. :(

cfrr81gg1n9i.jpg

qfn9o1eyvgd2.jpg

fdcywl8l7ogy.jpg

d8fp7yuweu6q.jpg

zkg7uinbk928.jpg

I worked a lot out there organising stuff again. I have to put the 5 heaters up above for the summer now too. I wanted to work all night but my wife and her Daughter are going on a 9 day trip to visit their blood relatives starting tomorrow morning.

I'm going to listen to those Powered Polk Towers again that are in the one picture. I remember them sounding awesome a year or less ago. I forget their model # right now. "(?)2000" or something.

I know why I fell in love with Polk Audio Speakers. They all sound right in their own "size and abilities" catagories to me. <3B)

Viva Polk Audio! :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited July 2022
    Options
    FTR, I have Doug's (dkg999) old Monitor 5B's now. Fully refreshed about 13 years ago shortly after I got them. Clarity caps, Mills, RD0's, Mortite, fuse jumper, Larry's rings, new internal wiring, new binding posts. They still sound great.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!