Reserve R350 Review over at ASR

Options
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/polk-reserve-r350-review-center-speaker.27535/

Some aspects were praised, but overall they found a few key faults with it...

Comments

• vader540is
    Options
    So how does one combat with comb filtering
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Blah blah blah, for the money is a fine speaker.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    vader540is wrote: »
    So how does one combat with comb filtering

By listening to more than one speaker in mono at a time in a home theater system. Maybe toss in a subwoofer too. It always cracks me up when the posters on ASR post things like "OMG, that speaker must not have had an ENGINEER working on it."

Pretty graphs and charts though.

:)

• Hansvelton
    Options
    Yeah the hatred is a bit strong over there for sure.

• vader540is
    Options
    so my CSIA6, one speaker would play a lil bit louder then the other, iirc that would help with comb filtering?
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    So, isn’t the purpose of a center channel to solidify the center? By definition.....that means that there are left and right speakers to ameliorate the issues this guy has?

Now, I’m guessing he measured first and listened second so I’d wager his listening was colored to validate the measurements.......and if I’m not mistaken, most center channels are two way MTM designs,

Crackpot.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    By listening to more than one speaker in mono at a time
    That's how he listens to every speaker. It's ridiculous!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    What does ASR stand for a stupid review?
  • Hansvelton
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    What does ASR stand for a stupid review?

I mean in all fairness, some of their measurements and so on seem useful or informative to me, but the subjective comments are what I have issue with.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    So, isn’t the purpose of a center channel to solidify the center? By definition.....that means that there are left and right speakers to ameliorate the issues this guy has?

Now, I’m guessing he measured first and listened second so I’d wager his listening was colored to validate the measurements.......and if I’m not mistaken, most center channels are two way MTM designs,

Crackpot.

L/R speakers won’t ameliorate the problems of this center speaker, because they do not deliver the audio signal that goes specifically to this channel.

Perhaps the room correction built in to most modern AVRs can bring some improvements, but even then horizontal MTM is undesirable for center speakers.

As you mentioned, most center channel speakers exhibit the same measurable/audible flaws of this one, so I would say it’s not a Polk issue; it’s an issue for most manufacturers.

Broadly speaking, for best center channel performance, the speakers either need to be one of the following: concentric designs (i.e. Kef, Vandersteen, Tannoy), 2-way with a single active woofer and a single passive radiator flanking the tweeter (i.e. certain Phase Tech and Boston Acoustics designs), or 3-way with tweeter centered above midrange flanked by two woofers (i.e. certain Wharfedale, Revel, and other brands do this).

The last option still has horizontal dispersion issues to my ears, since the dual bass drivers in these designs often still cover some overlapping midrange frequencies.

CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Ran out of time this morning before work, but wanted to reference a Polk design (since they graciously host this site 😉) that is a “proper” center speaker:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.c5f64aca1c4a175b59789e0d51113499?rik=DZ7p83Hwdp1fJw&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I've got no complaints about my modded CSiA6.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk