Vintage Onkyo Integrated

Options
woodsman10b
woodsman10b Posts: 408
edited December 2009 in Electronics
I could not pass up on this(pic below) vintage A-7022 integrated amp from Onkyo, picked up via ebay for $71. Seller claims that it has no performance issues, but what im wondering is how well does this amp perform?

Anyone have any experience with this amp?

thanks in advance
tom
Most of them only hear how loud it sounds, and the rest of us hear everything else - :rolleyes:
Post edited by woodsman10b on

Comments

• concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited December 2009
    Options
    No idea, but that's beautiful. Is it as the picture looks like and not a bright silver, but more of a pewter color?

Yep.... that's bronze face all right. I'm jealous as hell. :D Why do YOU always find the cool stuff?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Here ya go:

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/27012/Onkyo_A-7022.html

;)

65wpc into 8ohms. 4ohm stable.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Ooooo, I likeee. Hell, if it doesn't perform to your liking, I'll buy it from you. Seriously.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2009
    Options
    It's not a bad sounding unit at all. It is built like a small tank. I don't care for the bass and treble controls. I picked mine up a couple years ago, and have not had a problem with it. I was using it in the boys toy room for a while, and then to power a passive sub from the lfe on my AVR. The balance control on mine could us some contact cleaner. Other than that it works fine.
  • woodsman10b
    edited December 2009
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Ooooo, I likeee. Hell, if it doesn't perform to your liking, I'll buy it from you. Seriously.

:D Ok treitz3 I will let everyone know what I think of this beast when it arrives next week.

Thanks for the link Ben, I just printed it out!

I am really surprised that I won it at that price, the opening bid went in at $50, I put my bid of $110 in 2 hrs before it ended and I won it $52 with $19 shipping. I figured It would end up going higher then my bid, but I had to leave so I figured what the hell. Later that night I had a big smile on my face when I checked!:D
    Most of them only hear how loud it sounds, and the rest of us hear everything else - :rolleyes:
  • woodsman10b
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Kinda excited, it will be here today. Will post pics and thoughts on this vintage unit later.
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Options
    And pictures? GOOD PICTURES?

• woodsman10b
    edited December 2009
    Options
    ^^yes Ben, pictures lol^^
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Score!

Now stop buying this cool stuff and find me some 9se or 11ses. ;)

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Should be good -- it's descendents the A-5 and A-7 were quite nice integrated amplifiers.
    I've never seen one of the earlier, bronze-faced integrateds in the... umm... flesh.

onkyo.jpg
    And pictures? GOOD PICTURES?

Topless ones too, if you could...
  • WesKParker
    WesKParker Posts: 43
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Nice pickup. I love the 70's stuff that was built well. And it's always awesome to catch a nice piece of gear that goes unnoticed on the bay. I bought a Yamaha A1020 about 18 months ago of ebay for $100 shipped. I expected it to be good, but man it's great. I set my marantz 250 and 3200 in storage for my vintage 2 channel and use it now. Mostly because I'm pretty sure the 250 needs to be serviced. it runs fine but one side gets alot hotter. I don't want to ruin it, so I'll probably get it checked out before i use it again.
  • woodsman10b
    edited December 2009
    Options
    WOW! is all I can say to this piece! Built like a brick shithouse n almost as heavy lol

Very warm sounding amp with good bass response, n lots of power too. Only rated at 65w at 8ohms but seems much stronger. This thing is very versatile, it can be used as a power amp, an integrated, or a preamp. All the switches and dials work with no noise at all.

pics later today
    tom
  • treitz3
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I guess this means I won't be getting it? :D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • woodsman10b
    edited December 2009
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I guess this means I won't be getting it? :D

Nope :D:eek:
  • treitz3
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Well, in that case? Congratulations and enjoy. ;)
  • woodsman10b
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Here are the pics of this beauty, as you will see there are only two nics on the top of the face plate above the volume knob, and then the scuffs on the wood panel on the one side. Notice the onkyo 'passed' sticker on the one side lol :D I'd say it passed, 30 years later and still goin strong!
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Nicely made piece of hardware. Interesting power transformer topology(?).
  • woodsman10b
    edited December 2009
    Options
    So ive played with this amp for a few days now, I really love how well it sounds with all different types of speakers. It seems to even out the weaknesses of all the speakers ive paired it with. With my still unmodified 10's(sl1000 tweets), it tones down the brightness of the tweeters, and really shines in the lower end. With my Mirage 390is it shines in the lows and highs, and smoothes out some on the midrange (which in this case is a good thing). With the filters on this amp you can really adjust for the different types of speakers used. When used with my Paradigm mini monitors it seems to almost make the speakers dissappear, the soundstage is massive and diverse.

The most impressive of all was how well it made my Monitor 4.5s sound, ive had them since new and have listened to them with many sources and power amps. I was taken back so much that I blew off everything I was supposed to do yesterday afternoon, and just sat and listened to them :D I had the amp set with the low pass filter on, loudness off, and the volume cranked!

Im going to test it out as a preamp today, and also as a didicated power amp with my pioneer as the preamp, will post my ideas on that later this wknd.

tom
  • 4really
    4really Posts: 1
    Options
    I recently purchased the A-722, 100v Japanese version. I want to convert it to US voltage and wondered if anyone had any advice? Love the look of it~
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,489
    Options
    You would need a step down transformer to convert 120VAC to 100VAC, Amazon seems to have them available.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Is Japan's domestic AC 50 Hz or 60 Hz? (I am thinking the former)
    If the former, does it matter for a solid state amplifier?

These are cool amps, BTW. I have the "matching" tuner, but not the amp :p
    I like the "nonstandard" aesthetics of this line (era) of Onkyo components (FWIW) :)

13427359495_4e4bb03358_b.jpg

• la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 602
    Options
    kggmelkcdbpl.jpg

Not mine, but I like the look.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I came so close to buying an A-5 when I bought my CA-610II 'way back in 1978. If the local Onkyo dealer hadn't been so snooty, I might have done so. I was much happier giving my business to Soundscape (and gave them quite a bit more over the years).